H. Upmann Sir Winston (UME MAY 14) Review

rmill3r

T0k1B3j.jpg

Cigar: H. Upmann Sir Winston (47 x 7", churchill, UME MAY 14)

Review date: 10/18/2014 (5 months)

Here's my second entry in the review contest, as well as my first Cuban churchill. H. Upmann is quickly becoming one of my favorite marcas, and I hear wonderful things about Sir Winnie. I set aside a good chunk of time last night for this one.

It's an impressive looking cigar from the beginning. It has an absolutely wonderful oily sheen, minimal veins and light seams. There is a spongy give to this cigar, but I wouldn't say that it's underfilled at all in any one spot. Pre-light, it smells of hay, barnyard, nuts, and the cold draw is medium (right where I like it). It sure looks like a doozy . . . .

First third

20873P9.jpg

Being such a young cigar (by far the youngest CC I've had yet), I expected it to be a bit harsh and for its young nature to really show from the beginning, but as soon as I lit it up, that notion was thrown out the window.

The first third is--in a word--perfect. It is what I have come to associate as the quintessential Upmann profile, but in the best possible fashion. Creamy, milk coffee and hazelnut, dripping with flavor and a strong body. This is just mouth-wateringly good. The retrohale has a soft bit of cinnamon and is intensely flavorful. This is easily the best opening to a CC I've ever experienced.

Second third

TjoSF9d.jpg

Here, the cream intensifies as the typical coffee and nuts profile is replaced with a sweet earth and darker, black coffee sensation. The strength really picks up at the middle of this cigar and inches its way toward medium-full. Construction-wise, the burn is even, the smoke output is plentiful and quite aromatic, and no touch ups are needed.

I'm surprised at this point, it's almost shaping up to be a milder Bolivar.

Last third

SiVahgs.jpg

By the end of this long, beautiful smoke, the strength really does shine. I'm used to Upmann being a very middle-of-the-road medium cigar, which is part of the reason why I like it so much, but Sir Winston is proving me wrong, and I'm not upset about that in the slightest.

Here the spice ramps up but it's a sweet type of baking spice, cinnamon and nutmeg. The milk coffee and hazelnut flavors return in full force and there is a graham cracker note that seeps in and out at times. It's a beautiful and full-flavored finish.

Conclusion

I thought I loved Upmann--I really did. But Sir Winnie proved to me that I didn't actually know just how much I loved it yet. The cigar is beautiful from start to finish with that nutty cofffee profile that sinks deep into my palate. The strength is surprisingly on the high end of medium and all of the other flavors weave in and out with great unity. What a shining example that age isn't everything.

Score: 96 (easily)

• Like 3

I once traded this crazy guy for two Sir Winstons.

About to go smoke one right now....hope it's not too good cuz I only left him with 1. ;)

Be looking forward to your review, Clint!

Great review. I just received a box of these (same code/date) from our host, and can't wait to fire one up now.

I've been smoking cigars for about 12 years now, CC's exclusively for the last two years, but I still can't distinguish all the flavors you describe in this smoke. How can I learn to do this??

Very nice review, glad you enjoyed. These are one of my favorites.

Haven't had a '14 yet but the '13 i smoked last night is really coming around.

When fresh those were a little bit too 'fresh' but the recent ones definitely seem to be more smokable young than in the past.

Great review. I just received a box of these (same code/date) from our host, and can't wait to fire one up now.

I've been smoking cigars for about 12 years now, CC's exclusively for the last two years, but I still can't distinguish all the flavors you describe in this smoke. How can I learn to do this??

Some find it helpful to take notes, but personally I just sit there and make note of taste and aroma. Some cigars confound me nearly every time due to their complexity - I couldn't give you a complete rundown of a RASS unless I took notes (and I've smoked many). Others are notably consistent, although I will find two or three variants of a profile throughout a box (PL Montecarlos and Party Shorts come to mind) I know what I am getting myself into.

I've found that paying attention to what I am smoking has cultivated my palate some and this has transferred into other areas of my life - I can taste the nuances of food and drink much better as a result.

Good luck and let's see a review!

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get a box of these and I concur with the review. What a great cigar! Definitely a flavor bomb with hints of anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. It does no get much better with a young cigar and I can't wait to revisit in 6 months!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great review! Gotta try one. Methinks I'll have to be very quick to the draw if these pop up on a 24:24 as it seems this is a widely beloved cigar.

• Like 1

Great review! Gotta try one. Methinks I'll have to be very quick to the draw if these pop up on a 24:24 as it seems this is a widely beloved cigar.

Yes, thanks for a great review, it makes me want a Winston right now! I don't recall this marca been on a 24:24 sale in the last few months, so maybe we are due. And you are 100% correct, due to the favourable consensus among us here this cigar would indeed go quickly (like recent CoRo's).

when you figure it out teach me lol