Zaya 12 year ?

kcmontie

is it just me that doesn't get it? Maybe my pallet has changed? I have had this rum before too..... and I didn't like it then. Please give me your thoughts. For me heavy oak too much burn on the mid and no finish for a 40%..

but I did have a nice smoke... so don't feel too bad for me,

god bless the Prez

Ha...I remember a short time ago a similar topic started, "Am I the only person who doesn't like Ardbeg 10?" or something similar which of course someone naturally replied, "yes!"

I wouldn't feel too bad if you don't like Zaya 12. I've not sampled it as I'm happy with Ron Zacapa Rum. Perhaps Zaya has changed since they began bottling it in Trinidad and Tobago...who knows? I do know though that Ron Zacapa, El Dorado and Diplomatico gets high praise on the forum.

Give Zafra a try. I find it in the middle of the Zaya and Zacapa.

Speaking of changes, Pyrat used to be an awesome Rum when distilled in small batches on Anguiia.

Totally ruined when Patron bought them out.....

• Like 2

Give Zafra a try. I find it in the middle of the Zaya and Zacapa.

Speaking of changes, Pyrat used to be an awesome Rum when distilled in small batches on Anguiia.

Totally ruined when Patron bought them out.....

I still have a pistol bottle from the old days before they were bought out. My last one and I can't being myself to drink it knowing the current production isn't the same
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Zaya changed around 2008 when it was bought out by Angostura (Trinidad). Seems a bit more vanilla and less depth of spice/complexity. Used to be made in Guatemala by the same folks making Zacapa. If you can find an old bottle it is worth the pick up.

The closest flavor I have found to the old stuff is Botran Solera 1893.

Ha...I remember a short time ago a similar topic started, "Am I the only person who doesn't like Ardbeg 10?" or something similar which of course someone naturally replied, "yes!"

I wouldn't feel too bad if you don't like Zaya 12. I've not sampled it as I'm happy with Ron Zacapa Rum. Perhaps Zaya has changed since they began bottling it in Trinidad and Tobago...who knows? I do know though that Ron Zacapa, El Dorado and Diplomatico gets high praise on the forum.

I think even Zacapa 23 has changed as I have had brilliant bottles and some rather ordinary ones also.

From memory PaulF posted a thread on it. Wonder if these guys are taking shortcuts in their products?