Por Larranaga Montecarlos

sbmcduffee

Just had my first Por Larranaga Motecarlos. Box code is MLO Mar 12. They've been in the humidor for just over a month at around 67%. While I plan on letting the majority sit for some time, I couldn't help but try one as I've never had anything from PL and have only had a few long and skinnies ever. I bought these with the idea that they would be a less serious smoke while I aged some of the more storied cigars in my collection. I was shocked by just how good they were.

The cigar started out with a really pure roasted tobacco flavor. It really showcased that Cuban "twang" that everyone who tries to explain Cuban cigars describes. About halfway through it kind of settled down into some creamy coffee flavors. I also got my first taste of bread in a cigar. It was a lot like a croissant dipped in coffee with cream. Toward the end it hinted at getting some nutmeg or cardamom, but mostly just kept developing the creamy coffee flavors.

Right around 90 minutes beginning to end and exceptional throughout. If the rest of the box comes anywhere close to the first one I will have to say these are the best value coming out of Cuba.

• Like 2

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smoking through an EML SEP 14 box right now and I'm not disappointed. They do need some time to acclimate in the humi but after the 30-60 days they're ready to rock.  These are starting off on th

Having smoked my first one of these last night (a single, no idea of age), If I had a category of “biggest different between how expensive it tastes and actual cost” the PLMC would be my pick so far.

These are pretty sensational. I am almost finished with a TOS Sep 15 box, and the value here in pretty outstanding. Not just a very good cigar for the price, but a very good cigar, period. Maybe

Love this cigar! Not a big fan of the Panetela, and have yet to try a Petit Corona that knocks my socks off, but the Monte Carlos is truly and consistently great. A constant in my humidor next to the RASCC.

Sounds like you got a good box - but don't be surprised if they go sickly tasting ("muted"/"to sleep") soon. If they're smoking that good keep smoking 'em! Maybe buy another box or 2 to store ok.gif

They are generally better with 3 years + on them BUT it all depends on the tobacco. I've had boxes that had a straightforward sweet and rich taste when young that just died on me with age (A), and others that went through metallic/muted period only to re-emerge as stellar and complex a couple years later ... Often boxes with great wrappers with light-bodied filler seem to do A and stronger filler with any kind of wrapper do B.

And to complicate matters their larger stocks of tobacco and lower production of cigars in recent years seems to mean that some young boxes have decently aged tobacco in them anyway... and don't seem to need the mandatory rest of yore.

Are you confused yet? So am I pooped.gif lol.

Smoking these for about 2 years and love them. Most say to me what are you smoking,when I tell them they say oh I like my Partagas. They have not opened there palate yet to these GEMS..peace.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Smoking one now, Rott One of the sweetest young cigars I've smoked. This would be a tremendous am smoke with coffee. AME MAY 13.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...