Hamlet Custom Corona (Nov 2012 roll) Review

Hamlet custom corona, Nov 2012 custom roll - final score, 84

So, I’ve got my review here for the contest...

It’s actually been ages since I did a detailed review. Aside from the first cigar or two from the blind tasting competition, the last full-on review I did was in January 2013. Even with this year’s blind tasting competition, I completely got busy with life and couldn’t finish my cigars up for that. I’ll get those done still shortly - though the contest is obviously over with, I still want to get those done blind, for the fun of it.

This cigar was a bit of a let-down; unfortunately, as I really enjoy Hamlet’s stuff. But, on to the review:

Reviewed Cigar: Hamlet custom corona
Box Date: Nov 2012 custom roll
Factory/Manufacture Code: N/A
Packaging: Single
Price: Generally about $5 CUC’s
Length: 5 5/8", or 142 mm
Ring Gauge: 42
Format: Corona
Weight: Don't you know it isn't polite to ask a fella this??

Construction/Appearance & Pre-Light: This cigar was quite nice. Two little green spots on the wrapper. Silky. A nice medium brown, just a hint off of where I normally like to see these as a nice Colorado. Construction feels nice in the hand. Firm with a twist almost - you can almost feel the bunching within, and that nice little firm spongy give in this size is perfect. No real signs of tooth or oils, but there’s a nice sheen to the wrapper. Head is nice and firm, but the cap is slightly lopsided. The bunching at the foot looks wonderful. Great colouring to the blend.

6umu2e6u.jpg

dubu7e6a.jpg

ha6y5amy.jpg

After clipping the head, the draw was just stellar for a corona. Just that nice restriction to it. Tasting it at cold, I was getting hints of light, faint dry hay and very mild, almost new leather.

Opening Impressions: After a lighting up and initial draws, the draw was just perfect when lit. The body/density of the smoke was almost a thin, lightly peppery smoke at the opening. There was even almost a slightly salt & peppery tinge.

yduru6yb.jpg

First Third: Into the first third, the story began to change a bit. I started getting mouthfuls of carbon - that unfortunate “pencil lead” taste. The smoke started to thin out on the density, and really got a salty tinge. The ash, even when being cautious and not tapping, would break off after only about 2/3 of an inch. Near the end of the first third, started to clear of the carbon taste, and get hits of light / fresh / new leather and rich tobacco.

Second Third: Into the second third, it looked like it was going to be a winner. The hits of new leather and rich tobacco only grew stronger and formed more of the core, along with the salt and pepper on the edges. The second third also opened with a nice sign - lashes of heavy cream.

ysaty3u4.jpg

However, at about the halfway point on the cigar, this thing just turned sour. The harshness hit, and then it seemed to lose all flavour, save for that carbon / pencil lead tone. The sour harshness just did it in. Tried to make it work, but tossed it not far into the second third.

Finishing Comments / Overall Impression: I really wished this was a better cigar to come back to doing an on-paper review with. Unfortunately, the cigar gods just wouldn’t co-operate. I’m a complete fan of Hamlet’s cigars and blends - this is the first one I’ve ditched, and definitely the only one that’s scored this low for me. Hopefully just a dud, but I know I’ve got to attribute a lot of it to the smoking conditions as well.

Final Score: 84
Total Smoking Time: 35 minutes
Paired Beverage: Timmy’s double-double coffee
Last Meal: Parmesan-and-hot-sauce chicken wings, 3 hrs previous
Date & Time Smoked: September 22nd, 2014; lit up at 12:25 am, done at 1:00 am
Smoking Conditions: Breezy, rain storm, 26 degrees Celsius, 85% RH

Thanks for reading my review. Hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers.

Edited by CanuckSARTech
Font could only be read via Hubble telescope
  • Like 2

Nice review ok.gif

Thanks for adding pictures!

Dude...really? Smoking a Hamlet with Tim's? Really? why not just coat the inside of your mouth with road tar the next time you smoke a Hamlet. :-P

E

rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif I'm almost tempted to lock the thread and let this stand as the last comment. There's nothing more to say after that point.

• Like 1

Good review. My Hamlets of the same era are going through a serious ammonia discharge/sick period right now. Maybe your's caught the tail end of that too?

Dude...really? Smoking a Hamlet with Tim's? Really? why not just coat the inside of your mouth with road tar the next time you smoke a Hamlet. :-P

E

LOL!

Same here with the sick period for that batch.

E

REALLY, Mr Wise Arse?!?!??

So says the guy that smoked 12 freakin cigars in a day, and then couldn't feel his face the next day, much less taste nuances!!! :P

• Like 1

REALLY, Mr Wise Arse?!?!??

So says the guy that smoked 12 freakin cigars in a day, and then couldn't feel his face the next day, much less taste nuances!!! :P

andandand...at least I wasn't drinking that sludge with my 13...yeah, i said it...

• Like 1

Thanks, I had some coronas from the trip and was told those were Yolandas. I thought they could have been those elusive Hamlet coronas instead. I had my hopes up. pod.gif

Oh BTW Art, did you remember to pick up that mystery cigar I left you at LCDH Toronto? lol

Thanks, I had some coronas from the trip and was told those were Yolandas. I thought they could have been those elusive Hamlet coronas instead. I had my hopes up. pod.gif

Oh BTW Art, did you remember to pick up that mystery cigar I left you at LCDH Toronto? lol

Yolanda Coronas are readily available at Melia Habana, Hamlet coronas are usually one off's. Could be the person that gifted it to you only had the Yolandas or was keeping the Hamlets to himself ;)stir.gif . As for the mystery cigar I delivered that to Art myself after you dropped it off at the LCDH for Art.

• Like 1