Don't let them get away!

I've been reading the thread about the cigars that got away. As a casual Cuban cigar smoker I don't know all the Marcas and vitolas like the back of my hand so as to what has recently been discontinued, what is going to be discontinued and what special releases are out there that you guys speculate as being worthwhile or sought after in the future?

From PigFish asking where all the good cigars have gone and everyone abuzz about RA 898s, what should us less inclined look for? And as a a side note, where does this information/speculation come from so that we may catch up to everyone?

My best advice is try lots of what is available through regular production now, find what you live then stock up on it. Ignore the "what ifs" and ELs etc. Just find what you love smoking and buy lots of it when the price is right for you smile.png

This post is a perfect example of why you should only trust your own taste buds... as hard as it may be. Don't let any review pursuade you to like a certain cigar. Don't let any vendor tell you what cigar you should buy. Don't let your friends tell you what the best or flagship cigar is. Don't let a price tag, special box, special jar, special band, special commissioning, or special ceremony tell you that a cigar is superior.

Try as many cigars as you can (this takes time). Try multiple samples from multiple boxes. If you like a cigar, don't hesitate to buy more. Don't get too hung up on wrapper color and factory codes. No matter where advise comes from (experts to beginners)... it is an opinion, not a fact. If you are happy with a small selection of cigars, that is okay. If you need to have 5,000 different cigars to be happy, that is okay. "Custom" cigars are not automatically great cigars. Don't be afraid to experiment. Don't fall for the "grass is always greener" attitude. HSA wants you to feel like you are always going to miss out on something "special" by not buying the newest cigar. Circumstances and surroundings can make a good cigar taste great. The aesthetics of a cigar does not determine its performance.

Just like golf, fishing, or any other hobby... it is what you make if it. Folks can get enjoyment at all levels.

I want to double like these posts… and while I could add a book, they both say it all.

DON'T CHASE DOWN ANOTHER'S TASTES! Sure, take the advice if it comes and you can get the cigars, but don't kill yourself or your smoking budget following gurus!

Now if I had to answer your question directly, I would say look at the trends in smoking for some answers. Now me, I like medium and thinner ring cigars…!

Maybe, and I say maybe, you might want to put some of these on your list to try. How about PC's, or the QdO coronas? If anything a cigar like the Monte Esp. #2 would probably be ahead of the chopping block to that of say the Party D-4… That is the trend.

To have missed the experience of the Monte Esp, 1 or 2 would be a crime (MHO). So, my opinion says that you ask your supplier, our host for example if they are smoking well and you pick some up…

So hopefully I have answered the question from two sides; one philosophically, like my friends have, and then actually by pointing out, if you did not know it already, the trend in canceling medium and thin ring cigars.

You don't have to 'get them all,' but just don't neglect to mix them in. That is what I am preaching here. I don't wish to form your mindset, but ask you to open it to beyond what is the most popular. You may find you love them or hate them, but you won't know until you try them…

If some of these cigars are "your thing," get some while you can!

I hope that helps! -Piggy

Places like the trading room or the regional section are a good place to try a couple of something so you spread your budget and then when you find what you like buy by the box and move on to other sticks.

I am lucky in that I like smaller sticks, this means I can really spread my budget out and enjoy lots of minutos & PC's.

But I am sad to say that many of my fav's that I thought would never go away are far gone...SLR PC, tons of coronas, lonsdales and such.

So mention what YOU like so others can make recommendations but in the end try a few to see what YOU like and then stock up.

Ignore the hype and spread your money to support the regular production.

Show everyone upfront respect. Question everything from there.

"Absolutes" seldom are but badges of self appointed superiority.

Pay more respect to those that play in the areas of "in my opinion", "in my experience", "to my taste".

Smoke less, not more. Buy less, not more. No one perished because they missed out on a box of XYZ.

Treasure your own learning curve. Share the experience without falling into the trap of sermonizing.

Lend a helping hand to those lower on the curve. Like Christmas, the joy is in the actual giving (your experience or even the occasional cigar). Expect nothing in return. At the same time don't be a patsy.

Show everyone upfront respect. Question everything from there.

"Absolutes" seldom are but badges of self appointed superiority.

Pay more respect to those that play in the areas of "in my opinion", "in my experience", "to my taste".

Smoke less, not more. Buy less, not more. No one perished because they missed out on a box of XYZ.

Treasure your own learning curve. Share the experience without falling into the trap of sermonizing.

Lend a helping hand to those lower on the curve. Like Christmas, the joy is in the actual giving (your experience or even the occasional cigar). Expect nothing in return. At the same time don't be a patsy.

This thread can be closed now... party.gif

Thanks for all and your input. My intention was to not hijack another's taste buds but to get a sense of what may be on the chopping block.

I believe the consensus is that your tastes are your tastes. If you like something, hold on to it and cherish it. Try everything you can and let God sort it out! (OR buy every damn small ring gauge you can because the cubans have their head up their ass!)

Thanks for the insight and feedback gents... Smoke 'em if you got 'em!