Real/Fake Esplendidos - Your Thoughts

ElPuro

Interested to get feedback on these sticks. I purchased these from a vendor I have used many times with a good reputation (happy to identify via PM). First Cohiba purchase, though...

Despite the removal of the bar code and intentional mangling of the warranty seal, I was able to piece together the serial number for use on the Habanos SA website (confirmed OK). The packaging and aroma at cold is good (honey/vanilla), they are the correct length (+/- 1/16") and the packaging seems on target. However, there are a few concerns:

The first is the bands. On some sticks, they are looser than I would expect and are not particularly well lined up where the band comes together. While I am confident they are real, I would expect QC on the band application to be better. I can move the bands pretty freely on many of the sticks without too much resistance.

The second is that the sticks on the far right of the box (top and bottom) are essentially box-pressed (on these the bands are even looser). Not sure how that could happen other than the other sticks being too big in RG (I've verified some minor variation). Nonetheless, wouldn't the box accommodate for some minor variations in RG? Seems odd to have the combination of these problems in Esplendidos, but they are my first purchase of this vitola.post-26170-0-95342600-1462292495_thumb.jpost-26170-0-35255000-1462292518_thumb.jpost-26170-0-93749100-1462292534_thumb.jpost-26170-0-09421300-1462292555_thumb.jpost-26170-0-16819800-1462292577_thumb.jpost-26170-0-78293500-1462292605_thumb.j

Please note I have handled these sticks, so they are probably not in the correct R to L order, etc. I am deciding whether to try and return them now or hold for 30 days to smoke...

post-26170-0-37223900-1462292280_thumb.jpost-26170-0-34316300-1462292294_thumb.jpost-26170-0-69444500-1462292308_thumb.jpost-26170-0-17847100-1462292324_thumb.jpost-26170-0-64980000-1462292341_thumb.jpost-26170-0-86891700-1462292358_thumb.jpost-26170-0-89784200-1462292375_thumb.jpost-26170-0-57187900-1462292390_thumb.jpost-26170-0-02673200-1462292407_thumb.j

Second what Lotusguy said.

In the end trust the vendor. There are always subtle things from box to box. This is a product made by humans and subject to differences since nobody is perfect.

I see slight variations in the cigars, packaging, etc I get from Rob but I have no doubts! I got an aged box of Partagas 898 from here that had no warranty seal. It fell of some time back. Rob did mention that in the post but even if he didn't I would not have given it a second thought.

Enjoy the cigars. They look yummy!

Heck if I'm paying $600 for a box and it comes with serial number scratched, and warranty seal looking like that etc.. I'd question anyone period! Just because I trust someone it doesn't mean I'll become blind and not question stuff that doesn't make sense to me. If you're paying $600 for a box you would expect the highest quality of QC as well.

• Like 2

Like I noted, I have no reason generally not to trust the vendor but some of the issues are a bit concerning for such an expensive box of cigars. Not even sure I've run into this type of qc issue on lower grade smokes, so....

A purveyor of fakes likely wouldn't go to the trouble of removing all the micro codes in the seal. But grey market vendors of authentic Habanos do.

And I never like the often-parroted "trust your vendor" comment. It seems a bit dismissive and unnecessary. Are we only supposed to post about gifted cigars in the Suspect Cigar Forum?

• Like 4

If you trust your vendor, why do you have to ask? Either you trust them, or you don't.

I do not mean any offense by this comment, but how do you propose one increases their array of vendors?

I procure the majority of my sticks from four vendors on a regular basis, but will always take a chance to give an alternative vendor an opportunity, but... once bitten twice shy.

I do not mean any offense by this comment, but how do you propose one increases their array of vendors?

I procure the majority of my sticks from four vendors on a regular basis, but will always take a chance to give an alternative vendor an opportunity, but... once bitten twice shy.

He said he ordered from them before so he must have expected grey market cigars (I.e. Barcodes removed). Then he said he was able to decipher the code anyway and it checked out on the HSA website. What more is needed? A bunch of strangers on a forum judging based on a few posted pictures?

I'm writing this for everyone, not just as a specific response to ElPuro.

I can't tell anything from the photos and I second the notion that you must trust your vendor. Way back in the day there were reports that one vendor would mix a few fakes in with authentic cigars. How does one deal with that? I don't mean to sow doubt but you state that there are some sticks that appear to be box pressed. Also, Esplendidos got to be one of the most counterfeited cigars. So you may always have a nagging suspicion that something might be wrong. Use 5 star, gold plated, double extra super duper, no bull **** vendors that know you, especially for expensive boxes. Peace of mind is priceless.

Nothing suspicious jumped out at me. I have never seen a perfectly round and a clearly boxed pressed cigar in the same box like that, but that doesn't mean its never happened.

There appears to be no doubt about the authenticity of the box and bands. The Taino head hologram in the lower border of the band is visible in a couple of the photos. While there is some inconsistency in the sticks themselves that's old news at this point. There are very few Cohibas coming from the Island at all right now, this may just be what a Gray Market box of 15 Espy's looks like.

We have seen HSA skimp on the quality/consistency plenty of times before, but certainly less in the Cohiba marca. Maybe 3 straight rough harvests, 685 "Special releases" per year, and growing demand are starting to take their toll on the Flagship brand as well.

Less tobacco means less prime quality tobacco. Less prime quality tobacco means fewer "special" or Top end cigars. Yet the number of "Special" or Top end cigars has skyrocketed in the last few years. confused.gif It doesn't add up.

I agree that there are some issue you shouldn't see in a box of Cigars that expensive, they seem like Typical HSA QC issues though. Not signs of Counterfeits. Keep in mind Rob pulled a 60% full box of Boli DCs (I think) from a master case last week. At least you got a full box! My vote is let sit, then light em up! yes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2016 at 4:08 PM, CigarSeeker said:

Heck if I'm paying $600 for a box and it comes with serial number scratched, and warranty seal looking like that etc.. I'd question anyone period! Just because I trust someone it doesn't mean I'll become blind and not question stuff that doesn't make sense to me. If you're paying $600 for a box you would expect the highest quality of QC as well.

***What he said. The cigars looked picked over, parts of the wrapper with nicks and all...the two top ones on the left look water logged discolored on the lower foot...yeah. Sell it at a BIG discount to me if they AND the box  look that crappy :mellow: