Classic Flavours Poll (Part 1) - Bolivar

Bolivar Classic Flavours  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Taste is completely subjective, I know, but in my time on FOH I've noticed that many members often cite certain classic flavours in association with specific Cuban Cigar marcas.

Not everyone will taste the same range of flavours in a given cigar, but I thought it might be fun to see if we could establish a baseline of flavours for each marca, starting with Bolivar.

I've set up a multiple-choice poll with as many flavours as seem to come up again and again in posts and reviews.

So, if you have a bit of free time, spark up a Boli, kick back, and fill in the flavour poll as you go.

Obviously, I'll have missed something out, so if you taste something that's not in the poll, please mention it in a post, and I'll factor it into the next marca poll.

You need to tick a box in each section for the poll to work, so I've added a "None of the above" option to keep things as simple as possible.

I propose putting up a different marca every week, and, if there's enough interest, I hope one of the moderators will be good enough to pin the topic.

Can't wait to see what you guys are tasting!

• Like 3

Classic Bolivar to me is leathery tobacco up front then turning into milky, creamy coffee with nutty and woody coming through on the retro. '14 BBFs and Royal Coronas have been classic IMO. Love it...Love it! I was lucky enough to get a good box of the Libertadors also!

• Like 2

Great poll idea! Had Bolivar Gigantes tonight. Hard to describe the flavors when limited to a poll. All I know is that it was a fantastic cigar. It's hard to describe the flavors and I an excited to see what others see in this marque.

• Like 1

I should add that I can't taste most of these flavours, but I know there are some super-tasters out there with amazing palates. But I'd like to hear from everyone, novices and experts alike.

The poll is open so you can see who voted for what. If this stops people from voting, I can switch it to an anonymous setting, but I thought it might provoke some discussion if you see people with similar tastes to your own.

It's early days yet, but it's really interesting seeing the trends developing.

Thanks to all who've voted so far! Keep 'em coming!

Iain

This is a great poll idea and would love to see one for every marca! Quality post sir!

• Like 1

This is a great poll idea and would love to see one for every marca! Quality post sir!

That's the plan - one a week, and steadily work through all the marcas. I'll compile the results as we go.

• Like 1

One category is missing in your classication: the "animal" category, which can be sub-divised

in a "meat" category, (meaty, venison, gamey)

a "derivatives" category (manure, horsey, leather, etc.)

and a "animal oils" category (wool grease, musk, lanoline, etc.)

For instance to me Bolivar can be "meaty" when Montecristo can be "musky".

• Like 1

One category is missing in your classication: the "animal" category, which can be sub-divised

in a "meat" category, (meaty, venison, gamey)

a "derivatives" category (manure, horsey, leather, etc.)

and a "animal oils" category (wool grease, musk, lanoline, etc.)

For instance to me Bolivar can be "meaty" when Montecristo can be "musky".

Hadn't thought of that. I'll add in "animal" as a category with sub choices next time.

Other than those mentioned, can you think of any others I might include?

Thanks mate!

Iain

Wow - impressive list! Ill have to light up a BBF later in the week and revisit! Apparently, my tasting of "wood" isnt specific enough!

• Like 1

Hadn't thought of that. I'll add in "animal" as a category with sub choices next time.

Other than those mentioned, can you think of any others I might include?

Thanks mate!

Iain

One flavor/aroma that I occasionally get is a cold cellar or basement quality especially on pre-light draws. It's a hard aroma to describe if you didn't have family who canned foods and stored them in a cold cellar. The best I can come up with is a mixture of wet earth, and horsey funk but without the dirty animal characteristics, and a little sweetness that I associate with wine fermenting. Hopefully my description is apt enough to let other people understand. Then again, maybe it is a description of an experience that is unique to me.

• Like 1

One flavor/aroma that I occasionally get is a cold cellar or basement quality especially on pre-light draws. It's a hard aroma to describe if you didn't have family who canned foods and stored them in a cold cellar. The best I can come up with is a mixture of wet earth, and horsey funk but without the dirty animal characteristics, and a little sweetness that I associate with wine fermenting. Hopefully my description is apt enough to let other people understand. Then again, maybe it is a description of an experience that is unique to me.

So, if you want me to include it as an option on the next poll, what would you call it? "Canned fruit"? Or have you a better option? It's a great tasting note. Please let me know!

So, if you want me to include it as an option on the next poll, what would you call it? "Canned fruit"? Or have you a better option? It's a great tasting note. Please let me know!

I call it basement. Sometimes musty basement. Haha!

• Like 2

It's funny, every BBF 2013 to 2014 have had that classic Bolivar flavor of rich high quality tobacco with leathery-cocoa-mocha and a peppery punch yet EVERY box of Bolivar PC's I've had (5 boxes in all) between 2013 to 2014 are light, mild, slight pepper and LOTS of floraly, soapy Palmolive flavor. Absolutely no so called Bolivar flavors at all to them. I'm not one of those people who wonder why everyone else loves them because I know how cigars, no matter the label on the box or band can change drastically from box to box, year to year.

I've stopped buying them and probably won't again as it's obvious I just have bad luck with them plus I've got enough of them now that if they're going to turn around then they're there in my cabinet.

OTOH Every box of Upmann Regalias I've boughten, boxcodes of 2012 to 2014 have been head and shoulders above the Bolivar PC in the flavor department and to me, taste like mini Sir Winstons. For me, Bolivar PC's are a completely overpriced waste of time and money. I know there are good ones out there but my hit rate has been horrible and it just amazes me how inconsistent Cubatabaco can be. Why pay an extra $50-70 per box for a Mareva/PC that gives, more often than not, lesser enjoyment?

Ok guys, as promised, here are the top six results from the 37 people who completed the poll this week.

Any votes cast as of now won't be counted.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'll put a new poll up later. What say we do Montecristo this week?

Do Sancho Panza! Or do El Rey Del Mundo. Those I'm more interested in seeing what people have to say about them rather than Monte Cohiba RyJ Bolivar. Those ones are so often reviewed, posted about, talked about that its no great surprise when taste/flavor notes are talked about. Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully we don't get a long line of people parroting "woody grassy, earthy, and salty" as it seems in the world of habanos that whenever someone asks what their flavor profile is like, every guy and his brother parrots what they've seen others post up, despite having never even smoked the cigar.

I've had SP Belicosos that have had more in common with what one would expect of a BBF than a typical light, woody, salty profile and then I had a box that was and still is about the lightest, mildest habano Cubatabaco could possibly put in a box, almost as if the leaves used to roll them had been soaked and steeped in boiling water like tea, then dried out enough for rolling cigars. Just absolutely no soul or flavor whatsoever, a Macanudo Rothschild has more flavor and aroma, it's almost amazing really how soulless they are.

• Like 1

Maybe we should just leave the poll (and any subsequent ones) open? I can always do another set of stats in few weeks.

Great idea and a great poll. (Incidentally, I'm another member who's a big fan of your avatar ayepatz. He was a special soul, Orson!)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...