Solera system at home

paulF

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with a Solera system at home.

My favourite rums/whiskeys/ports... are solera system produced and was thinking it would be nice to experiment with it at home even just using bottles and not oak barrels as a start.

For example, starting with a bottle of Ron zacapa 23 and when half full, start topping it with some Ron zacapa 15 or even some fresher rum from a different but similar distiller. And then the Zacapa 15 bottle would be topped with a younger rum. When the Zacapa 23 mixed with zacapa 15 bottle is ready and some of it is already consumed, it would be topped from the zacapa 15 bottle which in turn will be topped with whatever other rum and son on. Hope this makes sense :)

I know that one would probably need a master blender to do this sort of blending but would be interesting to experiment and try and marry and infuse different types of rums together and see the outcome. Something like a sweet Rhum agricole and a dark rum !

Cheers

• Like 1

Very interesting idea in itself mate. Perhaps take two equal parts of each rum to start with and then blend in a third empty glass to see what proportions of each yields a blend you like. Just make a note of how many parts of Rum A to how many parts of Rum B and then replicate on a bigger scale for a full bottle of the blend perhaps. Would be an interesting entry into the foray of blending your own signature rum :).

Perhaps a bit different from your idea but this would give you more control of the blend to achieve an end result that you know you like based on the test sample?

Or Perhaps I've had a bit too much rum right now lol.

• Like 1

Hey Drexl,

Agreed that without a barrel, it would seem like an act of only diluting 2 spirits but that can and might lead to a nice blend after all.

A way around not having a barrel would be to add toasted oak chips to the bottles too...

Cheers

I agree Paul - I think the principles of diffusion would still apply equating to a blending of the two runs. Different proportions of each would equal a different blend. Aging in a Barrell would of course be true blending and aging but hey it's still an interesting try at home small batch experiment in my book Mate :).