Walking and Smoking?

Couldn't seem to find any info on here about this topic...

I ask fellow members if you prefer to smoke while walking or while sitting down? Do you believe there is any impact on the experience of a cigar (aside from obvious environmental factors such as wind)? Have you considered the paces you take while walking and how that may influence the smoke?

The reason I am curious on this is because fairly recently I took an aged Punch Punch (from a box I adore and have had nothing but success with each other stick smoked) on a long walk through a local park. The day was warm with no wind. But the smoke was terrible honestly- the draw and construction was stellar as the others, but the flavors seemed mutated with a different quality of smoke. The flavors went from refined and smooth to dull, somewhat salty and unenjoyable. It could have just been a dud in the box but it was surprising for me since the other dozen I've smoked have been Outstanding.

So... it may be silly but I have been contemplating the difference between sitting vs. walking, because I rarely ever walk with a cigar and when I do I seem to run in to these odd flavor problems.

Please give me your thoughts!

Thanks,

Adam

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a habitual hammock smoker Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great topic Adam and as I 1) live in New York City where forward motion is always encouraged and 2) most establishments do not allow smoking which means I spend a fair amount of time walking my cigars

I'm a rocking chair smoker most of the time but when the wife is on a new outfit mission I become a sooky, foot dragging pack mule smoker waiting out the front of boutiques and arcades. I hear what yo

Great topic Adam and as I 1) live in New York City where forward motion is always encouraged and 2) most establishments do not allow smoking which means I spend a fair amount of time walking my cigars, I feel I can offer an opinion....

Walking with a cigar changes the experience absolutely. I find a loss of the multiple senses needed to really taste a cigar, from the retro hale to the smell of the smoke to the amount you accidentally inhale while breathing more rapidly.... It's not ideal...

Now, when I stop at a street light, the cigar will become more defined, and If that happens I almost immediately plant myself on whatever corner I'm at and stay there.... Now, to slow down or stand still in New York is an open door to welcoming some sort of unwanted interaction, unfortunately... Once, while smoking a Vegas robaina on the upper east side at 3am (and very drunk) I was propositioned by a woman in a large black SUV... Turns out there are ladies of the night working the neighborhood... I would have considered the offer if it weren't for the fact that cigar was stellar... I caught a cab home later....

• Like 2

I find if I'm in a position to devote 100% of my attention to a cigar, I find i enjoy smoking it more.

That being said, If i am going to take my cigar for a walk my attention is split between the cigar I'm smoking an what is going on around me. This is not a bad thing, as both the experence of casualy smoking the cigar and talking the walk are more enjoyable when combined.

I think the key is choice of cigar. I like to pick something simple when I walk my cigars. Something without a lot of complexity but that I still enjoy. The fact that you are allowing yourself to be distracted from the cigar by your surroundings helps to make the cigars lack of complexity not so noticable.

If I want to smoke a 10 year old Cohiba, I'll sit at home on my deck and devote all of my attentions to it, but if i fancy taking a cigar for a walk I will usually reach for a simple cigar, like a RyJ Cazzie or good Non Cuban. Somthing that I dont have to pay much attention to in order to enjoy

I'm a rocking chair smoker most of the time but when the wife is on a new outfit mission I become a sooky, foot dragging pack mule smoker waiting out the front of boutiques and arcades. I hear what you are saying about flavours as it's the only time I loose a lot of what is my favourite in a cigar. Quintero Favoritos are my walkers now when she is shopping.

• Like 2

I find if I'm in a position to devote 100% of my attention to a cigar, I find i enjoy smoking it more.

That being said, If i am going to take my cigar for a walk my attention is split between the cigar I'm smoking an what is going on around me. This is not a bad thing, as both the experence of casualy smoking the cigar and talking the walk are more enjoyable when combined.

I think the key is choice of cigar. I like to pick something simple when I walk my cigars. Something without a lot of complexity but that I still enjoy. The fact that you are allowing yourself to be distracted from the cigar by your surroundings helps to make the cigars lack of complexity not so noticable.

If I want to smoke a 10 year old Cohiba, I'll sit at home on my deck and devote all of my attentions to it, but if i fancy taking a cigar for a walk I will usually reach for a simple cigar, like a RyJ Cazzie or good Non Cuban. Somthing that I dont have to pay much attention to in order to enjoy

Well put. I find that not just walking, but even talking can chance the experience of the cigar. When I smoke a cigar with a buddy, I prefer to smoke something I'm very familiar with and have plenty in stock vs something new to me that I want to concentrate on.

I don't prefer to move when I'm smoking a cigar, but have taken cigars on walks before. Would rather sit and relax.

Personally I can't stand walking while smoking as I find it more difficult to appreciate the cigar and I also like to be relaxed while smoking

I find the best time to smoke to after a long and productive day where everything you needed to get done, got done :)

I've only ever been for a walk once with a smoke, and it did ruin it a bit. was along the beach in Sicily (can think of worse places to walk and have a cigar ruined), i much prefer to sit in one place and watch the world go by.

I really enjoy a cigar while I walk with my dog along the river. It slows me down from my usual near frantic pace, and really becomes part of me enjoying my surroundings.

That being said, I choose my cigars differently than if I'm lounging in my shop pairing with a malt or rum.

• Like 1

I don't mind a walk with a cigar, but it is more of a stroll than a walk. Definitely changes the experience. Don't do it often enough!

I recall reading the human body is not designed to sit and is supposed to be always on the move. So really, reclined in a hammock or a sun lounger is the ultimate way to enjoy a cigar.

I have had some crazy good cigars while strolling. I once had a Juan Lopez No. 2 on a stroll home from the Fortitude Valley. It was timed perfectly. So for me, I now use it to measure distance, and when someone says, 'how far is it to the Valley from here?" I say "a Robusto... but if you want to go along the river its a Churchill." In saying that, "we could stroll through Newstead Park and enjoy a Lonsdale."

• Like 1

I now use it to measure distance, and when someone says, 'how far is it to the Valley from here?" I say "a Robusto... but if you want to go along the river its a Churchill." In saying that, "we could stroll through Newstead Park and enjoy a Lonsdale."

HA! I swear, my dog now knows what path we will take based on the size of my cigar! :lol:

• Like 2

I go for a walk about once a week with a smoke. But I always prefer to keep it simple. Usually a NC. But one of my favorite things is going for a home in the mountains. And having a smoke at the top and enjoying a view. Always a great experience. But definantly wait till I catch my breath.

Zino would have disapproved, I think walking and smoking was one of his no-no's. Or was that just walking and smoking in public? I can't remember.

Anyway, in my limited experience it seems like the smaller ring sizes survive walking better. Petit Corona's and such. Just an impression, but robustos are harder to keep burning right and lose all their flavors, Corona Gorda's too, but PC's and Marevas, while the flavors get a little dry and spicy, seem to manage the windy walk a tad better.

I can wade, fly fishing along a sand bank and thoroughly enjoy a cigar. I can hunt enjoying a cigar. For the love of me I can't just walk and enjoy a cigar. Diana loves walking, for her it is a joy. For me it is a task. I think it is the way you are wired, I just can't mix a task and a pleasureable experience.

• Like 2

At first glance I thought the title was wa&king and smoking WTF? :D

Not one for a walk with a smoke. If I'm walking I'm moving with purpose, I never really stroll. On the other hand I do love cruising around in the 4x4 listening to some good music or podcasts/audiobooks by myself with a nice smoke. I'll usually end up finding a nice spot and kick back and finish the cigar. I love that

• Like 1

I do it once a week with my best friend. It's dead quiet where we live at night so nothing out there to distract. I'm not horribly out of shape so I can enjoy the cigar pretty well and appreciate the company. I'll never smoke a brand new cigar on a walk just a cigar I've smoked before and appropriate size for the amount of walking we are to do

The only times I have smoked a cigar while walking were in London and the walk was the same, from James Fox to Buckingham Palace. I do like walking but definitely prefer to set someplace pleasant smoking and savor the experience.

• Like 1

I can wade, fly fishing along a sand bank and thoroughly enjoy a cigar. I can hunt enjoying a cigar. For the love of me I can't just walk and enjoy a cigar. Diana loves walking, for her it is a joy. For me it is a task. I think it is the way you are wired, I just can't mix a task and a pleasureable experience.

Good point. Cigars are great while fishing or golfing.

Probably his car keys at 1 a.m. . . . :P

Looks like somebody's next purchase is going to be sent to the Crimea...

• Like 1