Consider this an introduction and a lamentation.

Hello Friends,

I am a 24-year-old college student studying linguistics and Mandarin in the states (Vermont, to be precise). It's a pleasure to be here.

My introduction to cigars has been a slow start over the past 5 years or so. Only within the past two years have I begun seeking out cigars. This interest came quite naturally after developing interests in scotch whisky, wine, and other spirits. I've been lurking these forums for a few months, on and off, and have finally decided to become a member of the community. Needless to say, I am eagerly developing a very young palate. In total, I'd say I've had about 30 sticks. All of those have been Nics and Doms save for three Habanos (one or two of which were Bolivas, that's as specific as I can recall) that I relished in the opportunity to finally explore this year! As I mentioned in my post in the newbie section, I'm delighted to be a member here and look forward to growing as an enthusiast.

Long post to follow! The short of it is: I'm in (dire) need of some experienced guidance.

Over this past winter break, I had the opportunity to travel internationally with a group of colleagues and faculty. We were conducting water quality testing surveys on rural village wells in various regions of Cambodia. It was a wonderful experience. At one point, I had the pleasure of visiting LCDH after reading a recommendation by Smallclub on this very website. The owner was not there, however, I was met and graciously welcomed by a nice man who was overseeing the place in Guillaume's absence. Most unfortunately, his name escapes me, but I do believe that it started with an R.

I spent some time in the cigar room chatting happily with R and slowly selecting sticks based upon interest. This was my first encounter with habanos. R was happy to educate me as we went along and I was ecstatic all the way through. I took a break to have a small stick (pardon the ambiguity – I've not yet mastered the jargon) and a drink of lovely rum which he paired with it (complimentary for mentioning the FOH reference). By this tale's end, I walked out having purchased small yet relatively diverse box of cigars: approximately $200 worth, 6–8 in total.

When I arrived back at school in Vermont, I found that my small humidor had been borrowed by a friend. After many attempts to retrieve it, I was forced to resume the academic year without access to one. More attempts to borrow or rent space in a box from a colleague on campus failed. Unfortunately, I'd had to make use of more-or-less all of my spending money, leaving me with an insufficient budget for a humidor replacement. It was with a heavy heart that I tucked the wooden box, tightly and safely (as airtight as R could make it) packed, into a corner of my dormitory.

A long and enduring semester full of many academic commitments has ensued. It is with great regret that only within the past 24 hours, after two months of paranoia, that I've come upon the website for Boveda. I ordered a humidifying pack ("Fuente Humidor Bag") and an extra 69% packet. Had I sought out an alternative such as this two months ago, I would not be in this situation.

Boveda's website professes the following (on a page entitled "the surest method of reviving dried cigars"):

"Our patented 2-way humidity control only adds a safe, measured amount of humidity and it stops when it gets to the RH% on the pack. That’s why, unlike every PG solution/distilled water + sponge, crystal, bead, etc., that keep adding moisture even when it’s not needed, you’re never in danger of over-humidifying cigars with Boveda. That’s the beauty of 2-way humidity control. It adds or removes moisture as necessary. It acts on the environment instead of being controlled by it. So, here are two one-step methods of reviving dried cigars.

1. Put cigars in a Fuente Humidor Bag (69% Boveda inside) for a month. Done.

2. Put cigars and a Boveda 69% in Tupperware for a month. Done."

So you all know, I have not even removed the cigar box from the plastic wrap job done by R at LCDH. They remain in the same box, having been gently stored throughout this entire ~two month period.

My question to you all is: how would you proceed on a limited budget? I'm ill-equipped to devote the most special, incremental attention to these cigars. However, I'd be devastated if I weren't able to bring them back to the best health within my capacity. I have carefully read through Chris' 2012 post about the disaster of his collection drying out as well as a few other resources (this thread was, as to be expected, the best resource regarding restoring sticks that I've discovered on the Internet thus far).

How insufficient a procedure would it be to stick them in the "Fuente Humidor Bag" with a 69% packet (perhaps two, as their website says that two will not harm but improve the efficiency of the rehabilitation) and let the bag sit in a Tupperware container? Should I orient them or equip the container in any special way?

The bags claim to do the job without having to worry about overexposure or cracking. Despite what Boveda's website says about restoration (essentially a bag & tag) due to their claim that "by nature, they can only emit moisture, whether it’s needed or not" I am skeptical as to whether this will be sufficient and whether extra attention is needed. That is especially after having read so many detailed account's on Chris' thread which cite a need to be carefully incremental with RH increases. I'm also concerned with my lack of ability to properly control temperature.

I'm eager to receive the Boveda shipment and, having reviewed the responses here, storing them safely and with great attention to your recommendations with hopes for the best. Upon doing so, I shall be ecstatic to gently inspect them again and report back as to the particular releases.

I know that the box contains a decent selection (given my means) including Montecristo, H. Upmann, 2 Partagas 898s, and a few more. I am very excited to get them stored and hope that at least a few of them can still remain as the beginnings of my collection for years to come. As I have no proper humidor, I hope that I can find a safe place to put them upon returning home (to NJ) – one that is better than a Tupperware container and reinforced plastic bag (the "Fueno Humidor Bag").

Please advise. ("All is not lost" posts also strongly encouraged. I'm hopeful that after only two months in this condition, much of the essential oils have not been compromised.)

I look forward to learning and laughing with you all.

With fervent curiousity and gratitude,

Matthew

• Like 2

Welcome Matthew.

I really like the boveda system and have found it to be quite reliable. I've never had to rehydrate sticks however but I'm sure it will work fine. I would leave them to rehydrate for as long as possible and give them a try, they may lose some flavor but still be ok, I'm sure there are many much more knowledgable people here than me who can steer you right.

Good luck and stick with it :)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

I hope by being well sealed that your cigars didn't reach catastrophic levels of dryness. I really don't know the average humidity and temperature in your area, but here, they would be damn near toast over the last couple months.

It sounds to me that you are doing everything as well as you can, and I wish you the best of luck!

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Two months is a long time brotha. On a limited budget, Tupperware and boveda packs work just fine. No need for a fancy fuente branded bag either. Put them in a tiny cooler with the boveda and all is good too. You can always rehydrate sticks over time but the oils from the leaves that have dried up can't be retrieved.

• Like 1

Assuming that LCDH sealed your package well, it's likely just fine. The sticks themselves will keep their own environment moist so unless you have a leak in the bag in the middle of a Vermont winter, they're likely sitting at an rH in the mid 60's right now. Just for fun, you could buy (and calibrate) a digital hygrometer and unseal your LCDH wrapping, toss in the hygrometer and reseal everything in a freezer bag for 15 minutes and see what the hygrometer reads. This is more for curiosity than anything, but if by chance you see an ultra low reading, then you don't want to throw those sticks into a 69%rH environment right away. I've done that once or twice with cigars that accidentally got exposed to a dry aircraft cabin and it made a few of them burst their wrappers.

Most likely though, your sticks are currently fine. The reason I say this is because of this same sort of experiment that I do from time to time. When I get a box from FOH, it comes neatly wrapped in brown paper and taped bubble wrap (but no ziplock bag) and knowing that the box may have been in transit (including dry aircraft environments) I un-tape the plastic, open the box, take out two sticks to make room and then toss in the digital hygrometer and seal the whole thing up in a ziplock bag. I wait a few minutes and then open it all back up and voila! I've never seen a reading below 65%. So cigars that have been properly packaged and wrapped can survive on their own for quite a while.

• Like 2

Assuming that LCDH sealed your package well, it's likely just fine. The sticks themselves will keep their own environment moist so unless you have a leak in the bag in the middle of a Vermont winter, they're likely sitting at an rH in the mid 60's right now.......So cigars that have been properly packaged and wrapped can survive on their own for quite a while.

What he said. For cheap storage options you should get some Heartfelt or HCM beads, a hygrometer and a Tupperware container and make yourself a tupperdor. This will work just as well as a humidor...just not so nice to look at!

• Like 1

If you buy twice the amount of boveda packs you need, you can alternate and rehydrate the packs. When they get a little dry but not completely bone dry, you can revive them. Put them in a tupperware with a damp paper towel. Don't have the towel touch the boveda packs. After a week or so the boveda packs will have absorbed the water from the paper towel and ready to use again.

Buy a small cooler or locking tupperware. Those glasslock containers are excellent for small storage. Just don't store them high enough to drop and shatter them. The glass ones will hold the best humidity. Open the lid once a week to let new air circulate in for aging. Rotate boveda packs as needed.

As far as habanos on a budget I know how that goes. Look for sales that FoH has, like the 12:12:12 he is doing. Great prices. Then if you want to diversify your collection look at box splits or trading some of your box(es) for variety.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Further on the subject, you can check out Nino's posts here, or on his "Flying Cigar" blog. He has a long history of storing his cigars zip locked and in a water tight metal trunks, with no additional moisture added. A very compelling argument for cigars being able to maintain their own humidity environment.

• Like 1

welcome to the forum.... i've been in your shoes, you are just a step or two away from having a wine fridge converted into a humidor and filled with boxes of the best cubans you can find.... heheheh...

cigars will be okay so long as there is good humidity levels and temperature isn't too hot... also, you don't want to store cigars with or near other things that may give off an odor as they will absolutely soak whatever it is in and we don't like smoking scented candle flavored cubans around here...

if you keep them in a plastic bag, just make sure the plastic is thick so that the humidity doesn't escape as quickly (it will escape eventually, so keep an eye on them BUT don't open it too often or you will make it happen faster) just be aware that you need to put them someplace where they will be protected from damage...

I have had a few boxes go missing in transit, one for up to 6 months and when I let them rest in a good environment (64 degrees and 62% humidity for me) they are smoking beautifully now....

i get the feeling you'll be teaching some young buck these lessons in a year or two after you've gone through the experiences yourself....

• Like 1

Most posts here have covered it so I will just add to the 'don't worry' point.

Heck, cigars get lost in the mail for longer than 2 months and arrive just fine.

Even if they did get dry that is not long enough to ruin them and a couple weeks in the right storage

(a small tupperware tub is free with some food and work great)

and you will be golden.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

• Like 1

Howdy Mnc,

Welcome aboard! We're the same age!

The best way I ever stored cigars before buying a vintec was purchasing a good new esky so it was clean and storing my cigars in that with some humidity beads. I used pucks from Rob. By the time I did that however I had a few boxes. While you have singles beads and a Tupperware or similar ie.locknlock is perfect.

Buying a sampler from Rob is a brilliant way to start, and gives you a chance to try some cigars that won't have dried out now you have a tupperdore (scalable container with beads) organised to protect them from cracking and preserve the important oils and moisture in the cigars.

After a sampler I'd recommend asking Rob what the current cheap and cheerfuls are. The quinteros are something I make sure I have now. If you want a treat cigar box I recommend the psd4's or holo epi.2's. I always have long and skinnies and smaller cigars too. The sampler will really help you learn what type and size suits you!

Happy smoking and hope to see you around.

Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks to all that have already replied. What a warm welcome – I can see why this forum is so loved worldwide.

What he said. For cheap storage options you should get some Heartfelt or HCM beads, a hygrometer and a Tupperware container and make yourself a tupperdor. This will work just as well as a humidor...just not so nice to look at!

Will address this reference to beads below. Thanks, kwsaw.

If you buy twice the amount of boveda packs you need, you can alternate and rehydrate the packs. When they get a little dry but not completely bone dry, you can revive them. Put them in a tupperware with a damp paper towel. Don't have the towel touch the boveda packs. After a week or so the boveda packs will have absorbed the water from the paper towel and ready to use again.

Buy a small cooler or locking tupperware. Those glasslock containers are excellent for small storage. Just don't store them high enough to drop and shatter them. The glass ones will hold the best humidity. Open the lid once a week to let new air circulate in for aging. Rotate boveda packs as needed.

As far as habanos on a budget I know how that goes. Look for sales that FoH has, like the 12:12:12 he is doing. Great prices. Then if you want to diversify your collection look at box splits or trading some of your box(es) for variety.

Have fun.

After a few comments like these, I'll definitely go glass locking rather than plastic tupperware. Thanks, Marker & others.
Also, thank you for the recommendations about smoking on a budget. I don't see any reference to something like a "12:12:12" on *****int, could you perhaps be more specific? I'm sure there are plenty of resources around the forum for this already, so I won't make a point of explicitly asking which would be some great, "bang-for-the-buck" starters to grab from Prez. I've only picked one that I'd like to try so far, and that's the Punch Coronations. Anyone may still feel free to post their quick 2c on inexpensive grabs that I can look into grabbing in the future. At the moment, I'm damn broke, so I won't feasibly be able to buy any sticks until I get a summer job. tongue.png

welcome to the forum.... i've been in your shoes, you are just a step or two away from having a wine fridge converted into a humidor and filled with boxes of the best cubans you can find.... heheheh...

cigars will be okay so long as there is good humidity levels and temperature isn't too hot... also, you don't want to store cigars with or near other things that may give off an odor as they will absolutely soak whatever it is in and we don't like smoking scented candle flavored cubans around here...

if you keep them in a plastic bag, just make sure the plastic is thick so that the humidity doesn't escape as quickly (it will escape eventually, so keep an eye on them BUT don't open it too often or you will make it happen faster) just be aware that you need to put them someplace where they will be protected from damage...

I have had a few boxes go missing in transit, one for up to 6 months and when I let them rest in a good environment (64 degrees and 62% humidity for me) they are smoking beautifully now....

i get the feeling you'll be teaching some young buck these lessons in a year or two after you've gone through the experiences yourself....

Siema, Stanisław. Ja też jestem polakiem. Dziękuje bardzo za doradztwo. See you around. waving.gif

Howdy Mnc,
Welcome aboard! We're the same age!
The best way I ever stored cigars before buying a vintec was purchasing a good new esky so it was clean and storing my cigars in that with some humidity beads. I used pucks from Rob. By the time I did that however I had a few boxes. While you have singles beads and a Tupperware or similar ie.locknlock is perfect.
Buying a sampler from Rob is a brilliant way to start, and gives you a chance to try some cigars that won't have dried out now you have a tupperdore (scalable container with beads) organised to protect them from cracking and preserve the important oils and moisture in the cigars.
After a sampler I'd recommend asking Rob what the current cheap and cheerfuls are. The quinteros are something I make sure I have now. If you want a treat cigar box I recommend the psd4's or holo epi.2's. I always have long and skinnies and smaller cigars too. The sampler will really help you learn what type and size suits you!
Happy smoking and hope to see you around.
Andrew

Thanks Andrew. We seem to have a great deal of similar interests. [Edit: I come to realize that I had been mistaking Prez & Rob as two different individuals. Whoops idea.gif . Since doing some more research I've determined that when finances provide the ability, there shall be absolutely no better way to go in order to meet my current herf needs. The following comments still stand, however.] I'd like to get great cigars for the money and be treated with the same careful selection and respect as anyone else spending money, regardless of how much is on the table. That is the nature of good business and precisely what will make me a customer for years to come. When I'm spending much more, I'll be happy to know that it's going to people whose practices I appreciate. Comments welcome.

~

Here's my questions in reply to some suggestions given insofar:

Many mention using hydration beads (HCM/Heartfelt) and perhaps other hydration methods. I've already stated my intention to use (and the fact that I've already purchased and have on the way) Boveda packs. Will Boveda packs be insufficient in a glass tupperdor? Is it better to use them in conjunction with each other or, as I suspect, is that overkill (or even impossible)?

I think that I'm probably set with the Boveda but just want to make sure. Perhaps they're just a quick solution and beads are actually better? Maybe this is frequently debated amongst the community.

buddies.gif Also, I can't wait to get some scotch and other spirit recommendations for sticks. I'm sure folks around here have plenty to talk about in that regard. Any whisky or spirit trades ever happening between FOH members? smile.png I hope that in time, folks will invite me to participate in trades and all of the fun activities here (box pass – that sort of stuff, if I have the terminology right?). That might be a great way for me to start enjoying and engaging in the discussions surrounding cigars which might otherwise be difficult for me if I were to just begin ordering at will from vendors. laugh.png I'm always up for lively discussion and love discussing tasting notes. That comes from a background in working at a vineyard and falling in love with the tasting process.

• Like 1

Howdy Mcn,

Personally I've always found myself very humbled and grateful for Robs generosity and his fairness. Not sure about the favouritism you may of heard of but it certainly hasn't been my experience or anything I've seen. Any live from the humidor is a brilliant example as well as his approachableness. I was fortunate to meet him and allot of other members at last year's Havanathon and as a 23 yo rookie I had a good feeling after being in the forum for so long but was still blown away by the warm friendly and equal way I was treated.

El Prez is Robs forum handle. Occasionally Sven pops in too, but that's a long confusing story involving the black pearl and sweedish backpackers.

12 for 12, cheap and cheerful etc these are all forum exclusive deals and sales which your now open.to take part of too.

Rules are usually posted at the start of threads.

There is a subforum dedicated to lots of things, alcohol being one of them. Lots of good discussion about your favourite poison you can join in on.

Box passes and sales etc usually have a minimum post count and potentially a vouch for system. Purely designed so new and old forum members can get to know each other and the ins and outs to better avoid bad trades or theft. I think sales are usually minimum 20 posts and the rest I'm.not entirely sure on

Siema, Stanisław. Ja też jestem polakiem. Dziękuje bardzo za doradztwo. See you around. :

THAT has earned you one complimentary cigar.... Send me a PM....

Here's my questions in reply to some suggestions given insofar:

Many mention using hydration beads (HCM/Heartfelt) and perhaps other hydration methods. I've already stated my intention to use (and the fact that I've already purchased and have on the way) Boveda packs. Will Boveda packs be insufficient in a glass tupperdor? Is it better to use them in conjunction with each other or, as I suspect, is that overkill (or even impossible)?

I think that I'm probably set with the Boveda but just want to make sure. Perhaps they're just a quick solution and beads are actually better? Maybe this is frequently debated amongst the community.

Nothing wrong with using Boveda packs since you already have them. Not 100% sure but based on the posts I've seen on this and other forums, more people use the beads. I'd just use the Boveda packs you already have and take your time and do some research to see what suits you best.

Assuming that LCDH sealed your package well, it's likely just fine. The sticks themselves will keep their own environment moist so unless you have a leak in the bag in the middle of a Vermont winter, they're likely sitting at an rH in the mid 60's right now. Just for fun, you could buy (and calibrate) a digital hygrometer and unseal your LCDH wrapping, toss in the hygrometer and reseal everything in a freezer bag for 15 minutes and see what the hygrometer reads. This is more for curiosity than anything, but if by chance you see an ultra low reading, then you don't want to throw those sticks into a 69%rH environment right away. I've done that once or twice with cigars that accidentally got exposed to a dry aircraft cabin and it made a few of them burst their wrappers.

Most likely though, your sticks are currently fine. The reason I say this is because of this same sort of experiment that I do from time to time. When I get a box from FOH, it comes neatly wrapped in brown paper and taped bubble wrap (but no ziplock bag) and knowing that the box may have been in transit (including dry aircraft environments) I un-tape the plastic, open the box, take out two sticks to make room and then toss in the digital hygrometer and seal the whole thing up in a ziplock bag. I wait a few minutes and then open it all back up and voila! I've never seen a reading below 65%. So cigars that have been properly packaged and wrapped can survive on their own for quite a while.

^ That.

Assuming the bag was sealed well, you're probably okay. It may not be pretty, but a Tupperware and a boveda pack can work pretty darn well, if it has a good seal.

I second the hygrometer bit. Buy a decent digital one, calibrate it with the salt - test. Once you know where it stands, then quickly open the sealed container from the LCDH, toss it in, and seal it back up. Give it half a day or so, and see where they stand. It'll take some time to register properly, as the cigars will be what re humidifies the bag. If they're in the mid to high 50s or better, I think the oils will likely still be mostly intact, and you'll just want to re-hydrate the tobacco.

If that's the condition you're in, a 6-8 week rehab minimum is probably appropriate, but the longer the better. I've rehabbed a few sticks successfully (and some unsuccessfully), but I'm by no means an expert. Good luck saving those babies!

If they're toast, send me a PM. I'll ship you a nice stick. :) Wouldn't want a young BoL to be discouraged!

Saint.

Have fun.

I rehydrate my bovedas all the time. Make sure to use distilled water! Works great. I don't use a paper towel, I just get a new sealable bag, drop in the dead ones, pour in some distilled water, and in a few days, they're all plumped up.

• Like 1