customs in your country or region

nyah.gif I know being raised here in the south we have certain customs . Like saying yes and no mam yes sir no sir . and I have offended people by doing that but thats what I was tought. I was just wondering what custom you have that might offend others ? I have a guy from another country that I wont mention who smacks his food and it torqes me ! My momma would have slapped my teeth out ! But come to find out its part of his custom . So lets hear some strange customs. Sorry guys never traveled much . But in case I do I will be ready !

• Like 1

In Japan its polite to slurp loudly on your noodles. It indicates the noodles are delicious. It wasn't hard to fall into that cultural norm when visiting.

• Like 2

In Japan its polite to slurp loudly on your noodles. It indicates the noodles are delicious. It wasn't hard to fall into that cultural norm when visiting.

I could do that if in Japan but couldnt bring that back home I would be shot ! lmao.gif Good one Kam. thumbsup.gif

No difficulty there, the noodles are indeed delicious in Japan - you would want to slurp down what you've got just so that you can order seconds. :D

Some Aussie customs:

• We proudly sing our national anthem... but bugger if anyone knows the words to the second verse or even that there is a second verse at all.
  • At Angels concerts, we must shout out additional lyrics during the song, "Am I Ever Gonna To See Your Face Again".
  • Beetroot on burgers. It's not a custom, it's the law.
  • Calling your mate a "total bastard" means you like him.
  • It is not unusual when invited to a party or bbq to be asked to bring a plate (ie bring a plate of food)
  • Tipping is not always expected
  • Whether you are a Liberal/Nationals, Labor, or God forbid a lousy Greens supporter, all Aussies think politicians are bastards. Not to be confused with a "total bastard" (see above)
  • Pulling/chucking a "sickie" (taking a day off work when you aren't)
  • Like 3

When I grew up in Germany you were expected to hold the door open if someone was behind you and on public transportation you got up and offered your seat to the elderly or pregnant women as well as for the disabled.All down the tube now.

I still do all that, people now don't even day thank you when you hold a door for them. Last week I held three doors open for a middle aged woman in the space of 30 seconds and she didn't say thank you once.

I follow up such times with a loud thank you just for them :D

• Like 2

You must remain absolutely silent on public transport at all times.

Yup. Eye-contact is a complete no-no, too. Lol

There's a golf custom in Scotland of buying everyone in the clubhouse bar a drink if you get a hole-in-one.

When I grew up in Germany you were expected to hold the door open if someone was behind you and on public transportation you got up and offered your seat to the elderly or pregnant women as well as for the disabled.All down the tube now.

It's how it should be.

I still offer my seat to people older than I am (I'm 42)

I raised my boys that way and people in the UK tend to be shocked when I say "kids stand, adults sit" in public.

i currently live in (northeast US) but have lived In Hawaii, Germany and currently travel to Japan

once a year and live with my inlaws for a couple of months. Many different ways about taking

care to fit in. Here (northeast) it is the norm to get angry over nothing and then behave in

such a way (yelling) and then on top of that one must extend the middle finger and punch

the air for good measure. I always attempt to fit in and act like a local and I must say I'm

getting very good at these customs.

I still do all that, people now don't even day thank you when you hold a door for them. Last week I held three doors open for a middle aged woman in the space of 30 seconds and she didn't say thank you once.

I follow up such times with a loud thank you just for them biggrin.png

I'm finding the same thing all too frequently. Holding a door open for men and women at times being polite, not a single thanks or even a smile/nod.

I once held a door open for a disabled woman on a scooter and she told me to F**k off. Go figure.lost.gif

Great topic HUNTER, interesting to see peoples responses.

• Like 1

You should see the looks on peoples faces when I help my wife putting on her coat.This and holding the door was very impressive to our future daughter in law when she and our son were dating.Our grandsons are being thought those same values.

• Like 2

Here in Canada. At big family get togethers, after dinner. It is customary for an adult to invite one of the young children to play pull my finger! Once the finger is pulled it causes the adult to release the gas he was holding in all day. At which point you thank the the child, who moans eewww you stink and runs off. Its also good to clear room on the couch or sofa so you can relax....innocent.gif

Regards,

Doug

• Like 1

Here in Canada. At big family get togethers, after dinner. It is customary for an adult to invite one of the young children to play pull my finger! Once the finger is pulled it causes the adult to release the gas he was holding in all day. At which point you thank the the child, who moans eewww you stink and runs off. Its also good to clear room on the couch or sofa so you can relax....innocent.gif

Regards,

Doug

Customary is the US also . Good one brother ! rotfl.gif

Regards,

Doug

My dad used to do that too

In Toronto:

• When riding on public transit. No eye contact, complete silence. If you have headphones, put them on. Don't start a conversation with a stranger. lookaround.gif You'll feel the tension in the air if you do. :lol:
  • When meeting with friends, bury your face into your smart phone to "chat" with the friends that didn't bother to show up or live somewhere else, not the person/people around you. :rolleyes:
  • When approaching a closing door, slip in at the last possible moment to avoid holding it for the person behind you. :tantrum::lol:
  • Like 4