Favorite hot sauce?

Fosgate

I have to say, growing up in the midwest the only hot sauce I knew was Tobasco which I never really liked. I thought it had too much of a sour or harsh vinegar kind of taste. When I went into the military my pallet was opened to many different flavors and sauces. Louisiana Hot Sauce was popular but didn't come in the Meal Ready to Eat like tobacco to kill the taste of the food. Then in the 90's I found MoHottaMoBetta which was a catalog (now online) where you had to be age 21 or older to order the stuff because they were in fear college kids would use the stuff to prank people and hurt someone. Tried crazy hot sauces and others like Daves Mild Insanity Sauce, Endorphine Rush, This Is Permanent etc but since then I have nestled down to two favorites which are found on the grocery shelf.

Chalula: I love dumping massive amounts of this sauce on eggs, corned beef etc. I think it just has a lot of good flavor and consider it my mild go to.

The other would be Tapatio: I love the fire from this yet it leaves plenty of flavor for your food when you don't want your face on fire or a heavy pepper taste. Just a few drops is all it takes.

I could never do Sriracha, I don't care for the taste and it just seems like there really is not enough flavor or fire to it and find it kind of bland. What do others like out there?

I have to say, growing up in the midwest the only hot sauce I knew was Tobasco which I never really liked. I thought it had too much of a sour or harsh vinegar kind of taste. When I went into the military my pallet was opened to many different flavors and sauces. Louisiana Hot Sauce was popular but didn't come in the Meal Ready to Eat like tobacco to kill the taste of the food. Then in the 90's I found MoHottaMoBetta which was a catalog (now online) where you had to be age 21 or older to order the stuff because they were in fear college kids would use the stuff to prank people and hurt someone. Tried crazy hot sauces and others like Daves Mild Insanity Sauce, Endorphine Rush, This Is Permanent etc but since then I have nestled down to two favorites which are found on the grocery shelf.

Chalula: I love dumping massive amounts of this sauce on eggs, corned beef etc. I think it just has a lot of good flavor and consider it my mild go to.

The other would be Tapatio: I love the fire from this yet it leaves plenty of flavor for your food when you don't want your face on fire or a heavy pepper taste. Just a few drops is all it takes.

I could never do Sriracha, I don't care for the taste and it just seems like there really is not enough flavor or fire to it and find it kind of bland. What do others like out there?

My favorite is The Pepper Plant.

• Like 1

Green Pepper and Original Cholula are my go to sauces. Occassional use El Yucateco when I cook Tex Mex or Portugese Chicken. A mate from Portland had a really good one he brought back from South America that was super thick, man that was good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

1) After Death

2) Endorphin Rush

3) Tabasco Habanero

Warning: After Death and Endorphin Rush are described as food additives, a little goes a long way.

My first time trying it, many years ago, I was at my home with friends showing them my recent Hot Sauce acquisition.

We each put a dollop of Endorphin Rush on a cracker and down it went. All was well for about 15 seconds as a wave of heat came up from the soles of our feet and raced to the top of our heads.

I actually thought I was going to have to call 911! My next realization was that as a result of the searing pain, none of us could utter an intelligible word. Fortunately one of my quick thinking guests ran to the fridge and pulled out a milk carton of very expired milk. That saved us, not sure what we would have done without it.

I wholeheartedly agree. Their Caribbean and XXX are my favorites and are really versatile. I'll still reach for Tapatio with some pork rinds though.

El yucateco.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are so many boutique producers I really enjoy trying local sauces when I travel. Here in Chicago my favorite is Co-Op hot sauce. It's an inner city program that's run by kids who grow the peppers, make the hot sauce, and do the bottling.

For easy to find, inexpensive hot sauce, I like Crystal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...