State of the NFL?

The NFL has become a joke!

Ray Rice is suspended for two games for knocking out a "*****".

Josh Gordon, an entire calendar year for smoking weed.

What do you guys think?

messed up Goodell must be on crack!!

I do not condone what Ray Rice and Josh Gordon did.

However I see a bunch of NFL players are good role model for the youth too.

The mainstream media often publish more on the negative sides, because they are more interesting and viewers like these kind of news.

They are making more money annually than they ever have. They must be doing something right.[/quot
They are making more money annually than they ever have. They must be doing something right.

I think the profitability has more to do with fantasy football than anything Goodell or the owners have done. Fantasy football has been all the rave the past several years. It has turned quasi fans into regularly TV watching fans. Almost every game being played affects ones fantasy team or opponents. I Know that on Sunday I'm now watching games that I could of cared less about in the past.

I do not condone what Ray Rice and Josh Gordon did.

However I see a bunch of NFL players are good role model for the youth too.

The mainstream media often publish more on the negative sides, because they are more interesting and viewers like these kind of news.

you can't honestly compare the two.. can you?

Rules were in place because of backlash that the NFL didn't do enough to fight against drug use. As lopsided that the punishment has been for Gordon and Rice, at least the NFL has recognized the punishment could and will be much greater for domestic abuse in the future. I think judgement should come for the next offender...

you can't honestly compare the two.. can you?

Sorry. It's been a long day for me at the office, so my brain is a bit slow.

As comparing the two, I agree with AlohaStyle.

The latest weed incident was not the first time Josh Gordon caught violating the NFL drug policy.

Before Josh Gordon case, punishments for drug use in the NFL were considered too lenient (i.e. jokes). It's too bad JG got to be the one paying the sins committed by other players in the past.

Ray Rice on the other hand was first time offender. Again, not to condone what he did, but I think there should be a leniency for first time offender. Like AlohaStyle pointed out, next domestic abuse offenders will get harsher punishment.

It would be interesting to find what punishment the NFL will handed down to Jim Irsay.

Rules were in place because of backlash that the NFL didn't do enough to fight against drug use. As lopsided that the punishment has been for Gordon and Rice, at least the NFL has recognized the punishment could and will be much greater for domestic abuse in the future. I think judgement should come for the next offender...

You lose your bargaining power against the union when you want to make the next punishment far worse. Good luck trying to give a guy a 6 or 8 game suspension next time around when you've already ruled it's only worthy of 2 games now.

Sorry. It's been a long day for me at the office, so my brain is a bit slow.

As comparing the two, I agree with AlohaStyle.

The latest weed incident was not the first time Josh Gordon caught violating the NFL drug policy.

Before Josh Gordon case, punishments for drug use in the NFL were considered too lenient (i.e. jokes). It's too bad JG got to be the one paying the sins committed by other players in the past.

Ray Rice on the other hand was first time offender. Again, not to condone what he did, but I think there should be a leniency for first time offender. Like AlohaStyle pointed out, next domestic abuse offenders will get harsher punishment.

It would be interesting to find what punishment the NFL will handed down to Jim Irsay.

Don't get me started on Irsay. He's only an owner because he inherited the team. The league would never have voted to approve his ownership with his baggage. It'll get swept under the rug with a slap on the wrist here in indy and the league will do nothing. The average joe would have done a few years behind bars for the same offenses, but Irsay has a big wallet.

Same as the NBA, a bunch of over paid hoodlums..

I guess the same could be said for the NHL and MLB, or am I wrong? I guess all the good guys in the MLB and the NHL earn there money but the "hoodlums" in the NBA and NFL are over paid?

• 2 weeks later...

So much angst for Ray Rice, the prosecutor, the NFL, and Baltimore Ravens...yet she went ahead and married him. We're questioning the wrong stupid.

Abused women often don't leave their abusers. It doesn't make it her fault, and it doesn't make what Rice, the Ravens, and the NFL did any less awful. All three have behaved disgustingly, and her marrying him takes nothing away from that.

• Like 1