My new Schwaben humidor

Webbo

Holy Crap that's a beauty! I want one!! love.gif

On the temperature issue, is it possible for you to at least control the temperature in the room that unit will reside? 50 boxes is like 1100 cigars, and that implies that quite a few will be comfortably aging away in that beauty for at least a few years. Temperature control will help keep your moisture content consistent within those stogies while they snooze. Your automatic humidification system will keep the cigars from drying out of course, but those hot days will drive more moisture into your cigars if the rH stays constant. You can certainly live without the temperature control; I have one storage spot without constant temperature control and one with and while cigars from both locations do well, the constant temp, constant rH (and taken together that equals constant water content) cigars seem (subjectively, to me anyway) to be doing better than the cigars from the variable temperature local.

Beautiful. I'm going out on a limb here but I'll guess you're a Boli/Party fan ?

The cigar boxes are put in by the manufacturer and he took the pictures to show me how it will fill. It will actually arrive to my home next week. He really does think of everything. My collection is a little more diverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy Crap that's a beauty! I want one!! love.gif

On the temperature issue, is it possible for you to at least control the temperature in the room that unit will reside? 50 boxes is like 1100 cigars, and that implies that quite a few will be comfortably aging away in that beauty for at least a few years. Temperature control will help keep your moisture content consistent within those stogies while they snooze. Your automatic humidification system will keep the cigars from drying out of course, but those hot days will drive more moisture into your cigars if the rH stays constant. You can certainly live without the temperature control; I have one storage spot without constant temperature control and one with and while cigars from both locations do well, the constant temp, constant rH (and taken together that equals constant water content) cigars seem (subjectively, to me anyway) to be doing better than the cigars from the variable temperature local.

I wish I could do something about the temperatures but sadly not. Most of the year the room temperature is around 65-70 F. For 2 months of the year it can climb to 75-80. Outside temps in Slovakia can vary from -13F in winter to 100F in the summer, both of which we have had in the last year or 2. I have converted wine cooler that for the extreme summer months I plan to move my cabs that I'm aging to, the others will have to take their chances.

There seems to be a little confusion about what absolute humidity does as opposed to relative humidity. Either number, without a corresponding temperature number means precious little to tobacco.

If one holds rH constant and raises the temperature, percent moisture content in tobacco will decrease all the while were absolute water content (as it pertains to space) will increase.

Many people fall for this as they link absolute water content in space with percent moisture content in tobacco. You have to view this from a different perspective to understand it readily.

Look at it this way. If warm air (now this is not really how it works but we will use it as an analogy anyway) loves water, then it will fight tobacco for it! This means that tobacco will lose it, as the air gains it.

The cooler temps therefore will moisten your cigars. The warmer temps will dry them!

Like others here I am an advocate of consistent temperature control for my cigars. But this does not mean that the vigilant smoker cannot adjust his/her rH to counteract environmental impacts due to changing temperature.

80˚F is not going to do damage to anyones' cigars. You will likely find them a little dryer during those months and if you store at the low 60's (rH) during winter, you may need to increase your rH a little during summer. If you normally store in the mid-60's you might find no seasonal adjustments are necessary. It takes some time to move water out of cigars.

Cheers! -Piggy

There seems to be a little confusion about what absolute humidity does as opposed to relative humidity. Either number, without a corresponding temperature number means precious little to tobacco.

If one holds rH constant and raises the temperature, percent moisture content in tobacco will decrease all the while were absolute water content (as it pertains to space) will increase.

Many people fall for this as they link absolute water content in space with percent moisture content in tobacco. You have to view this from a different perspective to understand it readily.

Look at it this way. If warm air (now this is not really how it works but we will use it as an analogy anyway) loves water, then it will fight tobacco for it! This means that tobacco will lose it, as the air gains it.

The cooler temps therefore will moisten your cigars. The warmer temps will dry them!

Like others here I am an advocate of consistent temperature control for my cigars. But this does not mean that the vigilant smoker cannot adjust his/her rH to counteract environmental impacts due to changing temperature.

80˚F is not going to do damage to anyones' cigars. You will likely find them a little dryer during those months and if you store at the low 60's (rH) during winter, you may need to increase your rH a little during summer. If you normally store in the mid-60's you might find no seasonal adjustments are necessary. It takes some time to move water out of cigars.

Cheers! -Piggy

Thanks all for the input! I wish I could stop myself but for sure when it's up and running part of my mind will be on the physics of what is happening inside the humidor, however hard I try to stop it. This, as night follows day, will result in me getting a data logger and drawing up graphs and charts which I will variously believe or not depending on my mood and the phase of the moon, repeating constantly the tests as I convince myself that I overlooked some factor or control parameter. None of this will make my cigars taste any better at all or lead me further down the path of really understanding the relationship between my cigars and water but such is life. After all this protracted and futile scientific and statistical onanism I will probably just "up the bloody rH switch a bit in summer" as Piggy has mentioned. Its often better to travel than arrive guys.

• Like 1

The humidor is now arrived and settled in my home and starting to fill with my cigars. It is wonderful craftsmanship and I could not be happier with it!!

post-17361-0-84375800-1449664100_thumb.j

post-17361-0-91216900-1449664240_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next time you are over in Germany Klaus let me know, I owe you a good cigar!

I'm going next week, actually, but just a super short trip.

Early March, if you're around :)