Pulled Pork

ZAZ

That looks great!!!

Really nice stuff.

Did you sit it in brine or anything overnight or use a dry rub?

I just used a dry rub on it and put it in the fridge overnight. Let it sit out an hour or so before throwing it on the smoker. I believe it was a 10-11 hour total cook/smoke time.

Nice job Z!

Though I live inTX - where beef is king - I'm much more of a fan of pork BBQ and vinegar based sauces. I own decent sized smoker and will do 3 Boston Butts (6-7lbs each) at one time. Pull'em, keep some in the fridge for the next few days and vaccuum seal 1.5-2 lb bags of meat for down the road. Once thawed, it tastes just like it came off the smoker. I never microwave my meat when reheating. I'll get a skillet out and reheat it with a little sauce that way. This makes that pork fat melt just like it does when smoked.....hungry.gif

I'll post a few pics next time I do it....

I usually start at about 4am with a cup of coffee and a medium strength cigar..... ok.gif

Cool. I can do 2 Boston butts on my smoker at a time.

I definitely vacuum seal my leftovers and also never microwave when reheating. A trick I found that works awesome is to get a pot of water boiling and put the vacuum sealed bag in there for 20-30 minutes and it'll taste just like it came off the grill.

Nice cook! People don't realise the time and effort that goes into some of the low and slow cooks. It's a fair comitment if you want to eat it at a reasonable time..hats off...I'm due to do another one soon while our weathers warm.

I just used a dry rub on it and put it in the fridge overnight. Let it sit out an hour or so before throwing it on the smoker. I believe it was a 10-11 hour total cook/smoke time.

For how many lb piece of meat? Have you ever tried making jerky in the smoker? I make it using a dehydrator but I really need to get a smoker.

Looks delicious.

Typically, you plan on smoking a pork butt at 1:15 to 1:30 hours per pound at 225-250 degrees F. Thus, a 7 lb shoulder will take close to 11 hours. Then you want it to rest about 50-60 minutes before pulling.

Typically, you plan on smoking a pork butt at 1:15 to 1:30 hours per pound at 225-250 degrees F. Thus, a 7 lb shoulder will take close to 11 hours. Then you want it to rest about 50-60 minutes before pulling.

This is pretty accurate. I leave it on until I get an internal temp of about 190-195 and then take it off the smoker, double wrap it in aluminum foil (leave it sitting for about 45 minutes) and then I pull it.

That a big green egg? Very jealous. :)

Pork looks great. I tend to use a stronger wood with a larger cut of meat like that. I find the fruit woods are a bit too mild and don't impart enough flavor on top of the spices.

It's starting to warm up around here. I've been itching to get some roasts on the fire...

It's better (IMO) than a big green egg. It's a Grill Dome - very similar but come in a bunch of colors and is a thicker ceramic.

I've been throwing some pecan wood in with my apple wood for my pork smokes. Definitely does the trick.

It's very comparable in price to the BGE. It's not cheap but the grill will last forever if you take care if it and it's very versatile for all different kinds of cooks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

can't say anything unkind about a good pulled pork....

I love it with a spicy hot dry rub....