Partagas 8-9-8 bad reputation?

I got into CCs about 3 years ago, still smoke quite a few NCs, with a lot of variety. Ive always found that what people consider to be "full body" CCs equate to maybe medium NCs. That being said had always heard that the 8-9-8 varnished were "brutal" when young, need at least 5 years, a real connoisseur's cigar etc. Picked up a box from 24:24 a month back, and reluctantly tried one after a month acclimation.

I prepared myself for a harsh, spicy monster, and was totally surprised. Quite to the contrary what I had was a full flavored, smooth, and only moderately spicy delicious flavor bomb. Delicious woody spice, with coffee and dark cocoa notes. This is a 14' box, and though I'm sure will become refined with time, I need to order another, because I'm on my second and can now definitively confirm I'm going to blow through this box before its first birthday!

Is my experience an outlier? Did I just get lucky? Or is my palate so used to Nicaraguans that what some CC smokers consider brutal is just right for me??

One note, 2 years ago I picked up a 13 box of HDM Epi 2s from Rob. Over the subsequent year, smoked 3 and they were almost unsmokeable! Harsh, possibly sick, bitter etc. In the last year they transformed completely, and are creamy, sticks of mild deliciousness.

One other note, when I received the 8-9-8s and first opened the box, the aroma was almost overpowering, delicious raisin and cocoa notes. Similar to smelling the foot of an Opus X. I also noticed what looked like shiny plume on the wrappers, which was odd given they were less than a year old. Anyway, I'm rambling, but would love to hear others thoughts on the 898.

• Like 3

Quite refreshing to have someone's first post not be about a "Suspect Cigar".

It has been stated a great deal lately that the current cigars coming out of Cuba are different than they have been. Almost an aged quality or less need to lay them down for a long period. Based on that alone I would not be surprised to find that 2014 8-9-8s are not harsh. I personally haven't dipped into my 8-9-8 box from 2014, since I do prefer them with at least 3 years, so I cannot comment on them being more or less harsh than prior years.

What you stated about smoking NCs probably has even more impact regarding your impression of the smokes.

Rob sells good cigars, so you might very well have an abnormal box.

I read somewhere that the 8-9-8 blend was changed to "tone it down", but perhaps its just better consistency and production logistics. Would love to hear from someone comparing mid 2000 sticks to current. I also hope that the aging potential is still high.

Definitely seems to be a shift in the last couple of years' boxes - pre-aged or whatever, they're ready to go much sooner.

My newest Parta 898 are maybe 3 or 4 years old. When I first got them, they were a little harsh, but if you're used to NC, there aren't many CC that will compare to a knock-down, drag-out Nicaraguan or Honduran.

I've smoked through app. 3 10 boxes of 898s. They were all above average cigars as far as flavor, but construction was always very good. Never a plug or a wind tunnel. So far they are my favorite tasting Partagas, over the Short and the Lusi (have yet to crack into my D4s). But as far as strength, they do not live up to the hype. To your OP, I've never had a strong CC with respect to NC. I believe you need to separate the CC from the NC in the strength conversation. An Opus, Fuente Anejo, Flor de las Antilles, LFD, etc. are all brash, in your face bombs. If you're looking for that, then they work. But I have yet to see a CC even approach that strength. After a while I found more enjoyment out of a refined complex cigar. I honestly think it is impossible for NC to replicate that, for whatever reason. I am generalizing a bit here though. For example, every Opus I have had has been tremendous. I would be surprised to find another cigar with that much strength to give that experience so consistently (a word that is not friendly to the CC imo). So this is focused on the subject of strength.

The strongest CC I have had was a box of BBF. Still some of the best cigars I have ever had, taking into consideration that the whole box was consistent.

• Like 2

Try 2013 898 from La Gloria Cubana and experience the best from the size?

It is called La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.2 and was discontinued in 2013, against the popular belief

You might want to look at MUR MAR-JUL 13 exclusively

• Like 2

I've never had a Partagas 898, and I don't wish to hijack this thread, but is it true that Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Cabinet Selection Varnished cigars, discontinued in 2002, were even better to smoke than the Partagas offering? If so, why did Habanos discontinue them?

I've never had a Partagas 898, and I don't wish to hijack this thread, but is it true that Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Cabinet Selection Varnished cigars, discontinued in 2002, were even better to smoke than the Partagas offering? If so, why did Habanos discontinue them?

When they were available in regular production they didn't seem that popular, certainly nothing like the meteoric rise in the secondary market popularity the past 6-7 years

Because they didn't sell, they were of one these habanos that were unsmokable in their youth. Cigars "de garde", like "vins de garde".

I think this reply gets to the heart of my original question. It sounds like the consensus is that folks who have exclusively smoked CCs may consider 898's full bodied and rough when young (and perhaps they've smoothed out recently due to better quality control) but when compared to NCs they aren't really very full bodied. I definitely agree with your point that CCs provide a refined complexity, and one thing I've noticed recently is that they often provide a "richness" which is different from their flavor body, per se. Its been hard for me to characterize this, and I'm still trying to figure it out. Take for example a Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2, it is a mild-medium body stick, but somehow provides a richness of flavor that a mild-medium Conn wrapped NC simply doesn't provide me personally.

Still trying to figure that one out...

I've smoked through app. 3 10 boxes of 898s. They were all above average cigars as far as flavor, but construction was always very good. Never a plug or a wind tunnel. So far they are my favorite tasting Partagas, over the Short and the Lusi (have yet to crack into my D4s). But as far as strength, they do not live up to the hype. To your OP, I've never had a strong CC with respect to NC. I believe you need to separate the CC from the NC in the strength conversation. An Opus, Fuente Anejo, Flor de las Antilles, LFD, etc. are all brash, in your face bombs. If you're looking for that, then they work. But I have yet to see a CC even approach that strength. After a while I found more enjoyment out of a refined complex cigar. I honestly think it is impossible for NC to replicate that, for whatever reason. I am generalizing a bit here though. For example, every Opus I have had has been tremendous. I would be surprised to find another cigar with that much strength to give that experience so consistently (a word that is not friendly to the CC imo). So this is focused on the subject of strength.

The strongest CC I have had was a box of BBF. Still some of the best cigars I have ever had, taking into consideration that the whole box was consistent.

I wish Cuba could provide a powerhouse, preferably in the Bolivar range. I like it once and a while. I've been meaning to try a RyJ Cazadores, but I doubt they will live up to the strength hype. Especially now that I have heard the common "they aren't what they used to be" after the supposed disease resistant tobacco strain change.

Try 2013 898 from La Gloria Cubana and experience the best from the size?

It is called La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.2 and was discontinued in 2013, against the popular belief

You might want to look at MUR MAR-JUL 13 exclusively

I'm looking to get a few boxes of these cigars, what's a good price for these in your mind?

Also friends of mine got boxes from 2014 so they are still in production.

I wish Cuba could provide a powerhouse, preferably in the Bolivar range. I like it once and a while. I've been meaning to try a RyJ Cazadores, but I doubt they will live up to the strength hype. Especially now that I have heard the common "they aren't what they used to be" after the supposed disease resistant tobacco strain change.

You stray into the strength v body discussion there.

For me strength is purely nicotine based

Body (mild medium full) is the power/intensity of flavour or 'loudness in the mouth' eg a Bolívar corona is the same (ish) strength ad a QDO corona, but in terms of body the bolivar is full/medium full while the QDO is mild

• Like 3

Because they didn't sell, they were of one these habanos that were unsmokable in their youth. Cigars "de garde", like "vins de garde".

I appreciate your feedback, Smallclub, this explains a lot. I have a Ramon Allones 8-9-8 cigar box from the 1970's, from my father, which I use to dry box, and I am amazed at the aroma every time I open the box!

I agree, strength (nicotine level) gets confused with flavor body. For me personally strength hardly comes into play when smoking a cigar (CC or NC) because I can barely feel the effects of the N.

What I was referring to with regard to 8-9-8 was flavor body, and specifically the harshness of youth.

You stray into the strength v body discussion there.

For me strength is purely nicotine based

Body (mild medium full) is the power/intensity of flavour or 'loudness in the mouth' eg a Bolívar corona is the same (ish) strength ad a QDO corona, but in terms of body the bolivar is full/medium full while the QDO is mild

From my experience I'd put the Bolívar gold medal and RyJ Cazadorez as the most full bodied Cubans

For sure the cazadores that I have smoked up until 2010 box codes were by far the strongest Cuban cigar I have smoked. Last 3rd makes the head spin.