FOH Blind Tasting?

I am keen to run a FOH blind tasting.

3 cigars, sent out with a price covering cost and frieght.

Registrations required (on this thread)

Cigars sent by Feb 12. I will select cigars form same code and aroma/wrapper appearance.

First cigar smoked by 31 March on dedicated thread.

Second cigar smoked by 12th April on dedicated thread.

Third cigar smoked by 30th April dedicated thread.

Brief review and call required.

To the winner (who can correctly select cigars sent) $500 USD/AUD prize . In the event of a tie, prize is split.

Who is in? Assume $40 USD $65 AUD entry cost USD/AUD (cigars and freight).

:P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to take part Rob but it is depending on cost. I wish I did not have to condition my response but I am still outta' work and have mouths to feed! I like these tests as the results surprise a lot of people. At least this way I can get a taste of a few newer cigars!!! -LOL

I also think the tasting should be double blind, meaning that there is not a pool of cigars outside of the production catalogue to use as a guide. You should not stipulate that you get three cigars and they are brand a, b, and c and you have to say which is which. I think that the vitolas should be different and no hint other than size should be given as to the brand. You get cigar x, y and z... the rest is up to the taster.

I have done this before, last time was with 10 lonsdales, a favorite vitola of mine and I only got a couple, maybe 3 right. It is not easy to do when the cigars are not your own.

I also think that the results should be emailed to you and not posted. In that way there is no bias by the words of another, each is on his/her own for an independent conclusion.

For those who have never done this before it debunks a lot of myths about cigar profiles. I would encourage everyone to take part and see first hand exactly how differently we taste cigars and of course how differently cigars actually taste. -Piggy

EDIT: just noticed the cost... I am in.

I also think the tasting should be double blind, meaning that there is not a pool of cigars outside of the production catalogue to use as a guide. You should not stipulate that you get three cigars and they are brand a, b, and c and you have to say which is which. I think that the vitolas should be different and no hint other than size should be given as to the brand. You get cigar x, y and z... the rest is up to the taster.

Agreed! No hints at all. The taster must decide only based on size and flavour profile. If you wanna make it even more difficult, ask for all reviews to be sent by PM first, then upload as one whole post. That way last minute posters won't get the benefit of others insight.