Habanos Festival 2011 Report and pictures

So I’m finally getting around to writing something about the festival this year, sorry for the delay, things have been busy here since I’ve been back.

Great time again this year though a certain Prez from here was missed, more than once.

I got in to Havana the week before the festival and ran around places I wanted to see before things got busy on the Sunday evening. Had a really nice chat with Amir Saarony at Partagas, bumped into some other Irish and Americans in the back room, having a whale of a time in Cuba.

I asked quite a few people if they had noticed many changes since the state layoffs were announced, to mixed responses. Most had seen no change at all, though Hamlet’s brother has given up cigar rolling and now runs a barber shop, and I’d wish him all the best.

The RyJ shop where Hamlet works is going great thanks to the two to three cruise ships pulling into Havana every week, a lot of the travellers get bussed to that shop to be shown what a cigar is.

I saw more flower sellers than last year and at one point one of us saw two clowns riding a bike (not the Fox brothers!) so private industry does seem to be opening up a bit. Many paladares I was in had way more than the two tables supposedly previously allowed, and if it’s supposed to be family members only working in them, some paladar owner has been blessed with 3 sets of very attractive 20 year old quintuplets.

I didn’t go to many of the official events, Leo Brouwer was the act in the Gran Teatro for the opening night, there was more than one groan of “Oh for the love of crumb-cakes” at the start of each new number. The 3D Partagas movie was quite impressive though. The food at the events again was awful, I had a an hors d’oeuvre that tasted like omelette soaked in swimming pool and had to concentrate very hard not to blow it all over the marble floor.

The food in the paladares and some of the government run places is getting better, to the point where a foodie can now absolutely eat well and get variety in Havana. The sea food special in El Guajirito was a highlight, not to mention the flamenco practice in the theatre space beside it. Well worth a look.

The cigars were smoking great this year, all of the house cigars were made with very good, well conditioned tobacco. Yolanda’s corona extras and Mons’ Monsdales were the standouts of the week for me. Though I picked up a panatela off the bench at the Habana Libre one afternoon, no ligero, no seco, just volado and one of the sweetest wrappers I’ve ever smoked. Lovely little cigar, I can still taste it.

Plenty of jars of Partagas P1s and Upmann Noellas available. LGC Deliciosos getting scarce and possibly none left by now.

We met Carlos Robaina at his shop and gave him my condolences, though I’m sure he’s tired of hearing it. Some of the crew went out to meet Hirochi last Friday, but having got to bed a 6am for the fifth day in a row, I overslept, I just couldn’t manage it.

We went out to El Laguito to see some friends we met here in the past, it’s always nice, the atmosphere there is quite different to the other factories, there’s a suburban calmness to the place.

Hamlet organised a private tour of the old RyJ/new Upmann factory for us, a fantastic host and again, great stories.

On the night of the Gala dinner we bumped into Nino on the terrace of the Nacional and skipped out to El Aljibe for a quiet chat. Always great to spend time with Nino. For want of a better term, it’s a reassuring experience.

The highlight of the trip had to be the baseball on the Saturday afternoon, but that’s another thread..

Great to see everybody there again this year, Hamlet, Jose (Punch Joe), Berta, Simon Chase, David Lewis, Rob, Stuart and David from Foxes, Nino, Jimmy Ng, Ajay, Albert, Wishnu from PCC, Ameeta and Ambika Seth from Cingari and some new faces. I met Armando for the first time and we got him out to the Gato Tuerto despite some shenanigans. Of course, special mention must go to the lovely Bogusha of Foxes who mucked in with the rest of us and put up with the habits and odours of nine guys on tour for a week. Very impressed.

I think I’m finding out why Cuba has got into to my veins so much, there’s something about Cuban logic that appeals to the Irish sense of humour. Here’s an example, a little to and fro between one of the guys, Dara, and a waiter at the Nacional,

“Can I have a ham and cheese sandwich?”

“No ham and cheese sandwich today, just the Cuban sandwich.”

“What’s a Cuban sandwich?”

“Ham, cheese and pork.”

“OK, I’ll have the Cuban sandwich without the pork?”

“Sorry, no ham and cheese. Today the Cuban sandwich is just pork.”

A lot of people would find that infuriating, I’m still smiling thinking about it

Try as I might, with the amount of rum consumed, it’s a week I’ll never forget and I don’t think I’m the only one looking forward to next year already.

Some pictures

New Cigars at the convention centre

post-3053-1299167914.jpg

post-3053-1299168043.jpg

post-3053-1299168060.jpg

post-3053-1299168136.jpg

post-3053-1299168296.jpg

post-3053-1299168325.jpg

Various

post-3053-1299167976.jpg

post-3053-1299167988.jpg

Flamenco practice, I love this picture.

post-3053-1299167997.jpg

post-3053-1299168013.jpg

post-3053-1299168028.jpg

The great man, of course that's Nino beside him.

I was telling Nino I was going to be the streaker for the baseball game. He said I should have Habanos advertising on me, I told him a banner with "Partagas Sobresalientes" would be perfect for a certain part of me.

post-3053-1299168072.jpg

post-3053-1299168086.jpg

Conde de Villnueva

post-3053-1299168114.jpg

post-3053-1299168125.jpg

post-3053-1299168165.jpg

post-3053-1299168176.jpg

post-3053-1299168189.jpg

Guy, I’m afraid Sloppy Joe’s is still a sorry sight. From the look of those concrete blocks, I wouldn’t have high expectations for the quality of the restoration, but you never know.

post-3053-1299168202.jpg

Rob and Stuart will kill me for these but they’ll have to get in line after my wife.

post-3053-1299168214.jpg

post-3053-1299168236.jpg

post-3053-1299168245.jpg

post-3053-1299168254.jpg

post-3053-1299168287.jpg

Last sunset in Havana

post-3053-1299168277.jpg

post-3053-1299168099.jpg

A couple of videos.

Finally some recognition at H Upmann. Viva Senor Andy!

For those who couldn't make it, some reminiscing. If you haven't been there before, this is a very common view, though usually even more blurry.

The music on the radio is particularly apt.

Thanks for posting this.

I loved the "Cuban sandwhich conundrum"!

Also,the Flamenco practice reminds me of being at the Sevilla when a young couple performed the most romantic flamenco I've seen...

Andy,

Great photos and great videos.

Thank you so much for bring back some great memories of Havana

and the car ride on the Malecon,( have done it so many times :) ).

On one occasion we even walked it from La Bodeguita del Medio to the Hotel Nacional.

There's no better way to sober up then a LONG walk on the Malecon :lol: plus all the people

you can meet :P

Also, thank you for checking up on Sloppy Joe's Bar, I really HOPE that they'll

do a decent job and that someday life will come back to this historic Bar. :D

Bravo l'ami :D

Great Post Andy

Makes me feel like i was almost there, one day i hope to be ,sound like you had a really good time ,once again thanks for sharing

Cheers OZ :)

Thanks for sharing those great pictures and the details of your trip. Sounds like a great time was had by all of you.

Thanks for the vids, gives me an impression of how things really look there. US embargo or not, I will be there one of these years.