robert griffin III

i see the glorious skins have done the deal to get rg3 in the draft - by giving up just about every first round pick from now till the end of the century.

most "polls" seem in favour. the rep he has built, without playing a game, is massive (i keep thinking that if there is all this fuss about rg3 then how good must luck be?) but we all know that not all 1/4backs picked high succeed. this kid seems to have everything though. it is a huge price though.

i suspect if he does not come through (and the record shows the first year is very rarely a good one for a new 1/4back) reasonably quickly, then the fans won't just burn effigies of synder in the streets, they might also burn synder.

on the positive side, it might help get free agents across and i believe that they have plenty of dosh under the cap to do that.

any thoughts?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad this thread popped up as I'm a huge Tom Terrific fan and so happy when someone who isn't gifted works their balls off to make magic happen, while the gifted kids are just a flash in the pan. John

I think the downside is that if Hugh Jackson builds an offense around RGIII's skill sets and he goes down, as he has done a few times before, you have a pocket passer as the back-up in an offense he c

as a diehard browns fan who lives in DC, i cant f*&king escape this guy

Luck is pretty much a Lock to go to the Colts with the first pick overall. Skins had to do something to get a franchise qb given the division they play in. RGIII is the man I guess. They gave up A LOT for him so I sure as hell hope for the skins sake that this guy is all that he his hyped to be. Sometimes great college players dont transfer to the NFL...A certain LSU QB comes to mind...JaMarcus Russell...Not to mention the likes of Ryan Leaf as well.

been watching videos and interviews of this kid (yes, i am quite excited - the last time we had a decent 1/4back was when i lived in DC a very long time ago) and one stat came up that surely cannot be true.

he threw more touchdowns than incompletions? that is truly extraordinary if true. anyone have any figures on how players like either manning or brady or montana would rate in the nfl for that?

and that doesn't take into account the running game!

can't wait for the season. all we have to do is teach him to hate cowgirls.

The skins are notorious for horrible management decisions. Can't imagine giving up all those future picks for a guy that played against mediocre talent in college. He is a great talent and a heisman winner but so were lots of other QB's that bombed. Your basically rolling the dice for at least 3 years with all those pics. Its a huge step to the NFL for a QB. I do hope it works out for RG3 as he seems like a good kid, although I hope the Ravens smash him this year.

Ken, you already know my thoughts on the Glory that is RG3!

As a proud Baylor Alumni, RG3 was the best QB in 2011 and is the best QB in the draft. Indi' is going to get a great QB, just not the best, but luck fits there playbook better, slow and stays in the pocket, no need to be multi-faceted.

Ken, I'm pretty much sure it's a done deal. Washington wouldhave never given away the farm like that with out first substantiatingsomething with RG3 before hand. I think he will be pleased at Washington, Yournew QB and future hall of famer, will be amazing, and in my opinion the betterpick of Luck. Athletes like Luck come around often, very few like RG3 have yetto grace us with such pure talent , skill and integrity, on and off the field.RG3 will always do what's best for the team, which is the best thing a fan canask for. What did spur some thinking was the Indianapolis Colts left wondering1) are they making the right decision with Luck? 2) How much they could get fortrading away the #1 pick.

You are going to have a great QB, here are some really greatvideos, to get to know him and his performances better. If these videos don'texcite you as a skins fan, something is wrong. He is unbelievable!!!! I amstill a Cowboys fan, but I will be rooting for RG3!

Light a Smoke, Turn Your Volume Up and Get a Beverage!!!!They are all worth a watch.

1)

2)

3)

4) http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TpMWjmfwhCg

5)

6)

From what I've read, the Redskins will still try to persue manning, but he does not want to go in the same division as his brother and play him twice a year + potentially knocking his bro out of the playoffs...

The Skins will likely need the picks since they can't seem to fill any gaps via free agency (Haynesworth, Sanders, Archuleta, Randle El were all duds). While RG3 looks like a stud, they could have found a plug (better than Beck and Grossman) for '12 and picked up QBs Matt Barkley or Landry Jones in next year's draft. Heck, they could have drafted Tannehill this year, or moved down 6-10 spots and picked up some additional picks and Tannehill would still be available. RG3 > Tannehill, but not at the cost of 3 first and 1 second-round pick.

Good luck to RG3, and here's hoping the Skins can learn to pick up a quality free-agent or two.

Ken, I think they gave up to much.. I live in st. Louis and can't imagine that the skins gave us 2 first rounders and second :rolleyes: I think rg3 will be great, but they need a good receiver. Still it seems crazy that they gave up so much.

From what I've read, the Redskins will still try to persue manning, but he does not want to go in the same division as his brother and play him twice a year + potentially knocking his bro out of the playoffs...

I think it's the other way around. Maybe he doesn't want to be knocked out of the playoffs by HIS brother.

Not so sure I would call Luck slow after his remarkable combine performance. For my money, he is definitely the better QB of the two. With that being said, RG3 has great potential. Any QB that relies heavily on his running ability opens himself up to a much higher probability of injuries and therefore a much shorter potential career. Not too mention, their productivity drops significantly as they slow with age. Personally, I think the Skins gave up far too much, especially as they do not have the supporting cast any good quarterback needs. Having given up so many quality picks they severely handicap their ability to build that supporting cast over the next three years. Only time will tell but got to think the Rams come out ahead on this one.

This was a magnificent coup of a trade. --for the Rams. This is how the skins do, though; think one guy will make a great team. Reminds me of when Ditka traded the Saints' immediate future for Ricky Williams. Maybe it will work, as some long shots have paid off, but it occurs to me that the great franchises don't do things this way.

This year's draft feels like deja vu of 1998. Indy with the first pick with two top QBs on the board. Luck has been compared to Manning as the most well-rounded QB to enter the draft since Manning. I think RG3 is better and more mature than Ryan Leaf, but we will see how his pro career pans out.

RG3 is an Immortal, merely passing the time having fun playing the game of Football.

Long Live Saint Robert!

Once he is bored playing games, he will go back to protecting the world from villians!

Sic' Em Bears!

This was a magnificent coup of a trade. --for the Rams. This is how the skins do, though; think one guy will make a great team. Reminds me of when Ditka traded the Saints' immediate future for Ricky Williams. Maybe it will work, as some long shots have paid off, but it occurs to me that the great franchises don't do things this way.

understand that sentiment but the skins have a reasonable team but have not had a 1/4back of any use for 20 years. i've followed this as closely as i can from out here for about 8 months - as in potential 1/4backs. rg3 started in the middle of a group with tannehill, wheedon? etc with luck clear number one. but rg3 has emerged from that pack to be very close to luck in many reports.

peyton a true legend but he is old and has injury problems. very glad the skins didn't persue him as that had trouble all over it. another great player in his last few years with injury problems. huge risk and they'd need to start again in two years at best. sure, no one knows how rg3 or even luck will go. most of the stuff i've seen has been extremely positive about him - great arm, great speed, great character (compare that with fat albert or neon deion and so on). don't forget that all the stupid stuff the skins have done has been to grab older players.

and it is not giving up three firsts but rather 2 - they moved up with this year's pick.

not sure how but they have a heap of dosh to spend in free agency to help build with a top wide receiver and the offensive line - if they are clever. having rg3 must help attract other talent. if you are a top WR, would you think of going to the skins if grossman still the man or with rg3?

nothing is certain and it was a lot to give away but more than worth the risk. otherwise, it would be doldrums for several more years. does anyone think that the giants - who gave away a heap to get eli, regret it?

no doubt the rams will get some top players but they have a franchise 1/4back. the skins do not. how many sides win a bowl without one?

this kid looks fabulous. it may go pear shaped - one bad injury and they are in strife - but this was a much better risk than sanders and a few more.

as a long time skins fan (as i mentioned elesewhere, the last time they won the superbowl i was living there - a very long time ago), it is definitely worth a shot. would have liked to give up a little less but the browns offer was very very close to this so they would not have got him. what would they have done for a 1/4back then? people keep saying flynn. he would have cost big big bucks and, if memory serves, has had only two starts? and no guarantee they'd get him. there was no one else. at least no one who could seriously be a franchise 1/4back for a decade.

my feeling is that if it tanks, no worse off than we would have been otherwise. if it works, a brilliant trade. more than worth the risk.

the other thing is that on the law of averages, the skins must be due to get one right.

i have a really good feeling about this. as one critic says, what it has done is give the skins hope. hope that was not there before. already looking forward to the season.

be interesting if the colts take rg3 though.

I was perusing the list of all QBs taken in the NFL draft since 1970, and their draft positions. Here's what jumped out at me:

2007 - Jamarcus Russell - 1st overall

2006 - Vince Young - 3rd overall

2005 - Alex Smith - 1st overall (the same year that Aaron Rodgers was 24th overall)

2001 - Michael Vick - 1st overall. That same year Drew Brees was 32nd.

2000 - Chad Pennington 18th overall, and 1st QB off the board. That was the year Tom Brady went in round 6, 199th pick overall

1999 - Tim Couch, 1st overall AND Akili Smith, 3rd overall.

1994 - Heath Shuler, 3rd overall. (that was the skins, wasn't it? ouch.)

1991 - Dan McGwire, 16th overall, 1st QB off the board. Brett Favre went 33rd.

1983 - John Elway, 1st overall. Obviously a great pick. But that same year Dan Marino went 27th.

1973 - Bert Jones, 2nd overall, 1st QB taken. Dan Fouts went 64th that year.

There are clearly other examples where there was a 1st overall pick spent on a QB that turned out to be a stellar choice (Bradshaw, Aikman, Bledsoe, P.Manning), but I think in the long run it's better to invest in scouts than to go after these very expensive picks. But it might work out for the skins this time; time will tell.

3 number 1's? Are you kidding me? For a guy that's never played one down of big boy football? Sorry but I'm just not buying into this RG3 "messiah" talk. I know it's a pass happy league but winning in the trenches is still pretty important. NFL is a whole other level, sorry but I think the Deadskins are making a mistake. Still won't finish higher than 3rd in the East for at least the next 2-3 years. No offense Ken.

Personally I think he has Akili smith written all over him. never heard of the guy before this year, but the main problemis who is going to protect him and who is he going to throw to? and now the skins can't draft anyone tohelp him for 4 years!! I was hoping the browns were going to make the trade (since i am a steelers fan). Anyway just my thoughts.

3 number 1's? Are you kidding me? For a guy that's never played one down of big boy football? Sorry but I'm just not buying into this RG3 "messiah" talk. I know it's a pass happy league but winning in the trenches is still pretty important. NFL is a whole other level, sorry but I think the Deadskins are making a mistake. Still won't finish higher than 3rd in the East for at least the next 2-3 years. No offense Ken.

depending how you look at it, it is 2 firsts and trading up to spot 2 with the other. but certainly a lot.

and i don't think anyone realistically thinks that he'll turn things around by himself in the first year or two. but it is surely a long term project. the swap is not much different to what the giants gave up for eli and his first season brought very average results (as did peyton and so many others).

after free agency, might be more interesting. if they did pick up someone like jackson for WR and then grubbs (suspect nicks too exy even for synder), it is a good start.

provided fans accept that the most likely outcome is that the skins won't make the playoffs next season (tho my experience of skins fans, and indeed most fans, is we all want instant success), hopefully not too much pressure on him. he has to come good down the track, though.

But remember who got the best of that Eli Manning deal - the Chargers.

the problem with corresponding in writing is that irony and sarcasm is often lost, so apols if i have misintrepreted, but are you serious?

eli has led the giants to two superbowls. the chargers have a big fat zip and have not even made the final since the swap - mid 90s was their last appearance from memory and that brought nothing.

how can anyone possibly think the chargers got the best of it. they may have then picked up players that helped them win games but to what end?