#1 TheFife

TheFife

Perlas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Composing and recording music

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

I'm a fan of the Cohiba Siglo VI and IV. I am interested in trying the other Siglos, specifically the III, as I like the size. When looking for reviews of the III, I saw a lot of reports of a much milder and smoother flavor profile compared to others in the line. That led me to wonder what the general flavor and strength differences are between the different Siglos. Anyone with experience care to weigh in?

#2 Maplepie

Maplepie

The Enigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

my experience with them is that the thicker it is, the stronger it gets. not sure if they use ligero in their siglo lines, but the VI sure tastes like it!

the III is my personal favourite and really, REALLY shines even after 3 years. 5 years on the II makes it the creamiest smoothest cigar in all of Cohiba (er, not counting LEs and GR ;)). IV was my first box and sold most of them as it was just a smaller version of the V with a similar profile to the Robusto but more expensive. i'd much rather spend the extra coin for the V or cheapen it by getting the Robusto. the V is probably my second favourite that is smokable only after 2 years. and i've never gotten along with the siglo VI. have a few ageing in my humidor now in tubes and the bundles that i'll revisit in a while.
to be honest, i think the Robustos belong in the same section as the Siglo range. it has that creamy grassiness with minute spice that the Lancero, Esplendidos, Exquisitos etc are just lacking. or maybe the other ones just have a tad more spice that overpowers it in the end. Even the Clubs and Minis have more spice and kick than the Siglo series
but maybe that's only because i haven't smoked a Siglo under 2 years old in quite some time. and sides, who the hell ages cigarillos? :wacko:

That's what i've observed but i do need to spark up a few more aged siglos before solidifying my decision and opinion. come back in 3-10 years Posted Image

I c Xcbx
DzsSs
:hrtmbhhnnvsvxvaxvvxzSvcdacafv Z z six DC dxi

There exists some things that are so serious, one can only joke about them.
-Heisenburg.

#3 Smallclub

Smallclub

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:52 AM

not sure if they use ligero in their siglo lines, but the VI sure tastes like it!

Of course they use ligero…

It is not enough to be wrong, one must also be polite.
Niels Bohr

#4 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

There is no Ligero in the Siglo I. The rest have Ligero.
"The greater the obstacle the more glory in overcoming it." - Molière

#5 Maplepie

Maplepie

The Enigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

Of course they use ligero…

hmmmmmmm. really? II and IIIs have that too?
strange. should try some more young ones.....

I c Xcbx
DzsSs

-Heisenburg.

#6 MC4

MC4

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

The Ligero contributes to the strength or the flavor, forgot which?

#7 Smallclub

Smallclub

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

No ligero in a 40rg premium cigar? I'd be curious to know who told you that…

That would mean no ligero in the Monte 5, Petit Punch, Diplo 5, etc. I doubt it.

Niels Bohr

#8 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

Not sure why you would be so surprised. There is also no Ligero in any Panetelas. I have no reason to lie I'm just passing on info. Someone here once posted a picture of the weights too. Maybe he will post it again.

#9 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

That would mean no ligero in the Monte 5, Petit Punch, Diplo 5, etc. I doubt it.

You would be surprised by how strong some seco can be. I have smoked some very interesting larger ring gauge cigars without any Ligero.

#10 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

The Ligero contributes to the strength or the flavor, forgot which?

Both.

#11 Smallclub

Smallclub

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

Not sure why you would be so surprised. There is also no Ligero in any Panetelas.

Because this discussion has been a classic on cigar forums for the last 10 years, and I've never heard about 40 rg vitolas (perlas in this case) being rolled without ligero. Panatelas, ok, but what about the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur line?

Niels Bohr

#12 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

Because this discussion has been a classic on cigar forums for the last 10 years, and I've never heard about 40 rg vitolas (perlas in this case) being rolled without ligero. Panatelas, ok, but what about the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur line?

No Ligero. Seco has different grades of strength as well. Just what I have been told.

#13 CaptainQuintero

CaptainQuintero

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts
  • Interests:Arctic Bridges

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

I remember Rob mentioning about the SDC #3 being so balanced as the blend was simply a single leaf of liqero, volado and seco

38 ring guage and below I can see, but premium smokes at 40+ I personally can't see Fundadores having zero ligero.

Thinking about it I would be extremely surprised if Cohiba CE and Lanceros, Monte especial #1 and #2 had zero ligero in them too despite being 38 rg.

I think there has to be some kind of premium/luxury/major brand influence cut off point where those above end, and the likes of the "mid-brands" like PL Panetela, Quintero Panetela, LCG #3, QDO panetela, RG Panetela Extra, JL Panetleas superba, ERDM demi tasse etc picks up

" Can you justify the risk of "kolossal katastrophisch gewickelt kaput Zigar fur Matrosenoberstabsgefreiter des Kriegsmarine "

- Frank D'Arc

http://instagram.com/captainquintero

#14 Smallclub

Smallclub

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

No Ligero. Just what I have been told.

I call it BS. btw I'am perfectly aware that all seco are not equal.

Niels Bohr

#15 rob

rob

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

I agree with Frank.
"Give me the luxuries of life... and I will willingly do without the necessities". - Frank Lloyd Wright

#16 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Why don't you open some up and look? Would you be able to tell the difference to a strong dark seco? Ligero has nothing at all to do with being a premium cigar. Again I hope the person on this forum who took a pic of the chart would post it here for you too see.

#17 Smallclub

Smallclub

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

Again I hope the person on this forum who took a pic of the chart would post it here for you too see.

The chart indicated no ligero for the perlas size?

As for opening one, you're right, I certainly would not pretend that I can differentiate a strong dark seco leaf from a ligero leaf…

Niels Bohr

#18 miamipadronsmoker

miamipadronsmoker

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

Correct. The chart shows no ligero for perlas. Please check your private messages Frank.

#19 Fuzz

Fuzz

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

If you guys are referring to Ryan's chart pic taken at the factory, you are correct that there is no ligero in perlas (Monte 5), at that time.

"I'm being grotesque, but you've got to be, you see what I mean? You've got to be crazy! It's too late to be sane, too late. You've got to go full tilt, bozo... 'Cause, you're only given a little spark of madness... and if you lose that, you're nothing."

- Robin Williams

#20 Maplepie

Maplepie

The Enigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Oh my, i just sparked a passive aggressive conversation on ligeros.
I came back here interested in what others thought about the Siglo series. Anyone wanna return to the original comment as i'm quite interested in that still :thumb:

I c Xcbx
DzsSs

-Heisenburg.

#21 oliverdst

oliverdst

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Sometimes I wonder what somes BOTL's imagine what is the concept of BOTL.

#22 Smallclub

Smallclub

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Anyone wanna return to the original comment as i'm quite interested in that still :thumb:

Who cares about Siglos? We're talking about serious issues here! Posted Image

Posted Image

Niels Bohr

#23 hoyopr

hoyopr

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Who cares about Siglos? We're talking about serious issues here! Posted Image

Posted Image

LOL, this is why I love this Hobby!

LOL!

#24 Pedro2486

Pedro2486

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, books, fishing, target shooting, cigars, 4wding, cichlids & other fishes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I believe hamlet mentions this in his interview with Rob. Not sure on the details, I haven't watched it in a while
"If tobacco is a lost cult, if the cigar is surrounded by a mystery that alludes us, it is necessary to bow before the mystery. We never know exactly why we smoke." - Zino Davidoff

#25 Dbone

Dbone

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

The Siglo III is a very creamy cigar. Soft around the edges. It's been a while since I've had one but not much like rest of the line that I've had. I do enjoy them quite a bit. However, for the simple reason of value I don't buy much Cohiba. However those BTO boxes Robs been posting would be worth the coin.

#26 Maplepie

Maplepie

The Enigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

The Siglo III is a very creamy cigar. Soft around the edges. It's been a while since I've had one but not much like rest of the line that I've had. I do enjoy them quite a bit. However, for the simple reason of value I don't buy much Cohiba. However those BTO boxes Robs been posting would be worth the coin.

just compare the siglo III to other giant ones out there! the CG is around on par with the Siglo III and they're both favourite regular vits. in my collection. they're all great to the last inch even with a little age on em
good for a treat once in a while. and in the end, that's how you'll enjoy them the most, right?

I c Xcbx
DzsSs

-Heisenburg.

#27 Eddie

Eddie

Campanas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

There are 3000 different siglos in the line since 1999. There is no consistency in these cigars to even render a reasonable judgment. I think they've rolled Siglos in 2000 of the 1999 factories in Cuba in every vintage. Siglo V is a hot mess, the worst of the lot. The biggest difference is that Siglo 6 is a real cigar 20% of the time and the rest are like finding a speck of gold dust on a beach full of sand.

But good thing is that theyre all triple fermented, no?

#28 maverickdrinker

maverickdrinker

Prominente

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

No Ligero. Seco has different grades of strength as well. Just what I have been told.

X2

was told this when I visited A certain factory a few years ago. Can't get the blend to fit the ring gauge. It came up in conversation when I asked if a BHK could be rolled into a lancero vitola. Was told that too many leaves needed to get the blend right and thus, under a certain ring gauge, it would not be possible using current blend. The conversation evolved to which vitolas do not have ligero, lanceros being one of them.

Believe or not. Up to you. Just sharing knowledge passed onto me. Take it for what it is.

Check out my blog www.thedirtyashes.wordpress.com
Follow me on twitter and instagram @dirtyashes

#29 Duxnutz

Duxnutz

Prominentes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:AFL, Green Bay Packers, Booze (making and consuming), Aviation and the satire of everyday life. Cigars too!

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

A Behike Lonsdale should be doable then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users