Cuban Rum...the rarest? Who has tried it?

@Ken, do you have any more similar Rum write ups please?!

in the process of editing a new rum guide called 'explore rum'. hopefully out reasonably soon (though at the moment, i have not finished a single sentence). will keep you advised.

i'd have more rum reviews like that if there were more rums like that!

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is not the full piece and tweaked a little. Claims of any rum as the GOAT ('Greatest of All Time' – should that be GROAT? Greatest Rum...) is usually the sort of thing best left to very late at

i have done a piece on it for a mag. will dig it out. i'm sure i have mentioned it before. the seal is actually from a cognac bottle - the cork, which was sealed like a rock, later crumbled. the cogna

Looking forward to your review Ken. Never had Cuban rum before; I mostly drink Ron Zacapa 23.

Thank you Ken for this excellent piece on rum. I'm considering myself lucky that I've found a bottle of the Edmundo Dantes 25yo, by far the most exclusive rum I've tasted. Good stuff that will last a long time!

• Like 1

If there is a better, or rarer, rum on this planet then I want to know about it now.

Ken, I was lucky enough last year to be given a 15ml sample vial of Angostura "Legacy" Rum.

I nosed the sample for well over an hour and was simply astonished at how perfect the journey was. Like a kaleidoscope for ones senses. The taste? Transcendental. An experience I will never again savour, nor ever forget.

From the website - "Legacy by Angostura is quite simply rum without equal. Created by Angostura of Trinidad – makers of the world’s most awarded rum range – to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the independence of Trinidad, only 20 decanters of this precious liquid will ever be released. Each carries with it a price tag of US$25,000, making Legacy by Angostura the world’s most expensive rum. Many would argue it is also the world’s best rum. The culmination of almost 200 years of distilling heritage, it is an artful blend of seven of Angostura of Trinidad’s most rare and precious rums (each with a minimum age of 17 years). And for the world’s most expensive rum, the world’s best packaging. Legacy by Angostura is presented in a bespoke 500ml crystal and silver decanter specially made by jewellers to the Prince of Wales, Asprey of London".

Great post Ken. Really enjoyed reading that. I've been lucky to try the 'Ron Edmundo Dantes, Gran Reserva 25 Years'. That was sublime. I can only imagine how good this one is.

Excellent read ken, love the story behind it too.

I was going to ask what the cork was made from, from the first pic it looks like Feta, then from your post..it might well have been!

it might actually be from a bottle of louis xiii cognac.

• Like 1

Ken, I was lucky enough last year to be given a 15ml sample vial of Angostura "Legacy" Rum.

I nosed the sample for well over an hour and was simply astonished at how perfect the journey was. Like a kaleidoscope for ones senses. The taste? Transcendental. An experience I will never again savour, nor ever forget.

From the website - "Legacy by Angostura is quite simply rum without equal. Created by Angostura of Trinidad – makers of the world’s most awarded rum range – to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the independence of Trinidad, only 20 decanters of this precious liquid will ever be released. Each carries with it a price tag of US$25,000, making Legacy by Angostura the world’s most expensive rum. Many would argue it is also the world’s best rum. The culmination of almost 200 years of distilling heritage, it is an artful blend of seven of Angostura of Trinidad’s most rare and precious rums (each with a minimum age of 17 years). And for the world’s most expensive rum, the world’s best packaging. Legacy by Angostura is presented in a bespoke 500ml crystal and silver decanter specially made by jewellers to the Prince of Wales, Asprey of London".

read about this. can't imagine ever getting the chance to try it. not at that price.

Your description reminds me of the flavor profile of Pyrat rum. Not the current production, but the pre-2008 stuff that was distributed by SMS importers. Their top line version was called Cask 23. Cost ranged from $250-350 US.

Production of this boutique rum went mainstream and is now a shadow of the former variety. But the visual description, aroma, flavor, and texture from your review remind me very much of this rum.

Your description reminds me of the flavor profile of Pyrat rum. Not the current production, but the pre-2008 stuff that was distributed by SMS importers. Their top line version was called Cask 23. Cost ranged from $250-350 US.

Production of this boutique rum went mainstream and is now a shadow of the former variety. But the visual description, aroma, flavor, and texture from your review remind me very much of this rum.

True this. Ever since Patron bought them out the range went downhill quite fast.

Ken's sounds amazing though I doubt I'll ever see that one - thanks for the great writeup mate!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it is a fantastic list of rums but no prices? do they have these rums or are these just all the names they find?

i get really concerned by any place claiming expertise in rums that then list bacardi and matusalem as cuban. seriously?

Bacardi and Matusalem both originated in Cuba. The latter only produced outside Cuba in the last decade or so.

I've never had the pleasure of Cuban Bacardi tough I have enjoyed the Cuban Matusalem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bacardi and Matusalem both originated in Cuba. The latter only produced outside Cuba in the last decade or so.

I've never had the pleasure of Cuban Bacardi tough I have enjoyed the Cuban Matusalem.

fully aware of the origins.

bacardi story told often enough.

my understanding was that matusalem was made in the states for a while after the revolution, though i can't find out for how long. but i understood that the actual brand in cuba stopped reasonably soon after the revolution and the family either bailed out or was tossed out, depending whom one speaks with and certainly within the decade, but that they (ie, the cuban govt) continued to use the factory to make rum but named those rums as part of santiago. so if you've tried santiago rums, you might have had a post-revolution 'matusalem' (santiago are pretty close to my fave cuban rums of all).

the family fight was over about 10-15 years ago and whoever won kicked off the brand again but i recall reading somewhere that they don't actually have a factory of their own anywhere and just by the rums in from the dom republic and then have them blended in the states. don't know if that is true.

but my original point is that they really should know better than to post them as cuban rums. if they were actually selling an old bottle of cuban rum from pre castro, you can bet that would be trumpeted. these would not be cuban in any way. either very slack or shows a worrying lack of knowledge (or possibly even an attempt to deceive but one hopes not). i judge a lot of wine lists and you see it all the time. it is usually because they don't know better.

fully aware of the origins.

bacardi story told often enough.

my understanding was that matusalem was made in the states for a while after the revolution, though i can't find out for how long. but i understood that the actual brand in cuba stopped reasonably soon after the revolution and the family either bailed out or was tossed out, depending whom one speaks with and certainly within the decade, but that they (ie, the cuban govt) continued to use the factory to make rum but named those rums as part of santiago. so if you've tried santiago rums, you might have had a post-revolution 'matusalem' (santiago are pretty close to my fave cuban rums of all).

the family fight was over about 10-15 years ago and whoever won kicked off the brand again but i recall reading somewhere that they don't actually have a factory of their own anywhere and just by the rums in from the dom republic and then have them blended in the states. don't know if that is true.

but my original point is that they really should know better than to post them as cuban rums. if they were actually selling an old bottle of cuban rum from pre castro, you can bet that would be trumpeted. these would not be cuban in any way. either very slack or shows a worrying lack of knowledge (or possibly even an attempt to deceive but one hopes not). i judge a lot of wine lists and you see it all the time. it is usually because they don't know better.

After reviewing the referenced site I realize my confusion. I agree that the rums they reference in all likelihood are not the Cuban versions. Just was relating the origin of the rums as I understood it though I either had some very old Matusalem from Cuba or it ceased production less recently than I thought.....

After reviewing the referenced site I realize my confusion. I agree that the rums they reference in all likelihood are not the Cuban versions. Just was relating the origin of the rums as I understood it though I either had some very old Matusalem from Cuba or it ceased production less recently than I thought.....

don't take my thoughts re timing as gospel. thy might be out. i don't have exact dates - just what i recall.

post-5777-0-82570600-1398102801_thumb.jppost-5777-0-26904800-1398102915_thumb.jppost-5777-0-71068900-1398103030_thumb.jp

Bought two bottles at Varadero Airport duty free around ten years ago.

IIRC, it sold for a moderate premium over other brands.

Never seen it before or since.

Taste is excellent, rather dry.

Among my favorites.

thanks for that.

so i guess we can deduce that they were making it in cuba, if not ten years ago then reasonably close to that. i certainly don't recall ever seeing it in cuba in the last ten - twelve years and i checked out every rum place i could find. so i'd guess a leftover from a few years earlier. terrific find.

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly I was excited for you apon realising also the colour of the wax on top of the cork in the pictures matches. Pretty good indication you definitely tried the genuine article.

From what I've found via digging in my spare time the treasure chest was a paper decorated wooden box with the bottle etc as pictured inside and was a gift most commonly given to generals.. Assumeably other VIP like mentioned here too.

Albeit try as I might I can't find another full or undamaged bottle anywhere.

There was some suggestion of the blender somewhere, the sommelier I guess? But the name escapes me currently.

Trade a sip for some salami oneday maybe? :P just kidding ole boy.

Thrilled this has all meant I've learnt something about a little known treasure