Montecristo #2 or Diplomatico #2

unesco  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love to see a poll with two options. This question has always plagued me everytime i consider buying something. I would love to see the distribution on this forum!

Pretty straight forward question. smile.png. But just to make sure:

Things to keep in mind when voting:

-Construction

-Flavour Profiles

-Strength

-Consistency

-Burn (debatable)

-Necessity to age

-If you've tried both options

Things to disregard when voting:

-Availability

-Price

-Those few times you had a vintage one

-Duration

-Gran Reserva

-Sentimental attachments to either

-Other people's votes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went with the Diplo 2 I'm a big fan of the Monte 2 but it's infinitely safer to buy Dip2's blind Also, due the relative unpopular nature of the marca, getting a blind box with age on it is more li

I took the Monte 2 in the vote but I always like having at least a box of each on hand.

Not sure I've had enough Diplo's to make the best assessment, but at the moment I give the edge to the MC2. It's a good thing BBF isn't in the poll....it'd have been a walk away.

Pretty straight forward question. smile.png.

Things to disregard when voting:

-Availability

-Price

-Those few times you had a vintage one

-Duration

-Gran Reserva

-Sentimental attachments to either

-Other people's votes

In that case I'd rather not vote nyah.gif

But all kidding aside,

I guess construction and consistency might have to go to Dip 2.

As for flavour however, I'd go Montecristo -

and just make sure Rob picks the box for you ok.gif

Cheers, Alex

I went with the Diplo 2

I'm a big fan of the Monte 2 but it's infinitely safer to buy Dip2's blind

Also, due the relative unpopular nature of the marca, getting a blind box with age on it is more likely

• Like 1

I've had a 5x3 set of M2's from Jan 12 that are still not coming around in flavor or draw. DP2's from Jul12 and Jul13 are both money for me.

That being said, the cigar boards have been blowing up on how awesome the M2 is ever since the CA article, I just haven't had one that good yet. YMMV.

I love both, a big fan of Dips, but I get more consistency from the Dip2.

Had one yesterday. Was wonderful.

I think the Monti may win this one tho, more get smoked and then there is that 'cool' factor

you are smoking a Monti 2.

The boys at the tractor-pull might laugh at you smoking a cigar with a yellow label with a little carraige on it.

I let'em laugh. Love those Dips.

I went with Monte 2 I have only smoked two Dip2 and they were very bland must of had duds ?

What does a Dip2 taste like when they have been blended right ?

I went with the Monte 2. I have to be honest and say that I am a bit of a Monte fan boy when they get it right. I love them all.. 2's, 4's, Especiales etc. The biggest problem I have with them is consistency and construction. I have had No. 4's that seemed completely plugged, Edmundos that were under filled, and a couple that were just bland.

I have also enjoyed Diplo 2's, but I haven't sampled nearly enough to gauge consistency. If I want those creamier type flavors I would reach for a Monte. If I wanted something with a bit more punch I wouldn't mind reaching for a Diplo 2.

As of today 4/18/2014 EST I'm currently working on a box of Dip.#2's (PSP.'s) 2013.

They are outstanding and yes I know I should put these babies away as our

wonderful host keeps telling me. So if it comes down to Dip. #2 vs Monte.#2's

I think it is a toss up. If they are both the same quality (PSP's or Hq's) then

it is a matter of taste and what you happen to be in the mood for.

All that matters is that you are smoking something you like.

VERY INTERESTING

I find it quite intruiging that the comments are a large majority siding on the Dippy 2s whilst the poll shows a resounding majority on the Monte 2s. I would love to hear more interesting comments on the Montecristo 2s.

AND. There seems to be no critique on the Diplomaticos 2s... Are the Montecristo 2s just so good for you that you can take the duds here and there and construction issues there and here? I personally prefer the Diplomatico marca over the Montecristo one so i'm a tad biased. But many people i know mention the Diplomatico 2 is better in their books due to the consistency but if there were less shitty Montecristos out there, that would win by a long shot.

I also saw some people haven't had enough Diplomaticos to form a good enough judgement. That's quite fair: everything's roses when you stick to your guns, right? But in this case and time, maybe we should take some time off and smell some more roses. Then continue in a year's time.

Thanks for all your valued opinions, gents. Love this forum. party.gif

I went with the Diplo 2

I'm a big fan of the Monte 2 but it's infinitely safer to buy Dip2's blind

Also, due the relatimbve unpopular nature of the marca, getting a blind box with age on it is more likely

This! I would never buy M2 blind, they are made all over the place. Harder to find good ones. Dip 2 always made at same factory and much more consistent. Dip 2 is great once you get some years on them imo.

I personally prefer the Diplomatico marca over the Montecristo one so i'm a tad biased.

Your bias was evident in the parameters you put in your original post. Nothing wrong with it, but to me at least, it was rather apparent.

The oldest Dip 2 I've smoked is 2010, so that's a lot less age than many of the Monte 2s I've tried (03, 06, 08, 09 etc.). Best correlation I can make is an 'on' Monte 2 is like a great cafe mocha...chocolate, coffee & cream. The Dip 2s I've smoked are more like an Americano. More in your face coffee flavor, perhaps a cinnamon note comes & goes, but just doesn't have the depth & sweet chocolate/cream notes like a great mocha has (Monte 2).

That's my .02 anyways.

• Like 1

Your bias was evident in the parameters you put in your original post. Nothing wrong with it, but to me at least, it was rather apparent.

recognised how i put 'construction' first, eh? guess i should've done a proofread of the "things to consider" before actually posting them.

Well, i tried to keep it non-partisan. but it's quite hard sometimes. especially with these subjective natures... (cigars! ;))

The oldest Dip 2 I've smoked is 2010, so that's a lot less age than many of the Monte 2s I've tried (03, 06, 08, 09 etc.). Best correlation I can make is an 'on' Monte 2 is like a great cafe mocha...chocolate, coffee & cream. The Dip 2s I've smoked are more like an Americano. More in your face coffee flavor, perhaps a cinnamon note comes & goes, but just doesn't have the depth & sweet chocolate/cream notes like a great mocha has (Monte 2).

That's my .02 anyways.

I agree with this…. Coug28 summed it up nicely.

I don't think they are close enough in flavor for me to always choose one over the other. It just depends on what I want at that particular time. It is true that I want the Monte flavor more often than I want the Diplo flavor.

Sure I have found Monte's with issues because I smoke them a lot. It isn't a huge number though. I have also had plenty of HdM's an others that were off as well.

Haven't smoked one from this 13 box but I've had 2006 and loved em.

you've had 2006 of them!?!?! king.gif

But seriously, Dippy 06s eh? i'm actually getting a box of those in right now!

hard to find aged No.2s of anything so i jumped at the occasion.