What does it feel like to inhale cigar smoke? (Discussion about retro-haling)

Hello all,

I have recently learned that most cigar smokers retro-hale (blow smoke through the nose directly from the mouth) in order to detect more flavors to a cigar (thanks to the olfactory receptor). This was great news to me because I never was able to taste too many flavors while smoking and was worried that my taste buds are weak happy.png . So I've read about retro-haling and watched some "how to" videos and eventually I was able to get some smoke out through my nose but it gave a burning sensation to the back of my throathot.gif so I'm wondering if that means I'm inhaling. I've only recently started smoking cigars and never smoked anything else so the sensation of smoke in my lungs isn't familiar to me and I don't want it to be. Is the burning normal when retro-haling? If smoke gets to my lungs, how would I know other than possibly coughing? Please give tips to the newbiehelp.gif

Thank you,

A K

P.S. I will try to add more details of what I feel when blowing smoke through my nose while I'm smoking to give better detail, if necessary.

As you've implicitly mentioned, you're not supposed to inhale when retrohaling. that much is clear.

honestly, it's a tad hard to define 'back of the throat' because it's hard to draw the line. if you're very unclear about this, try your style of retrohale with a Partagas Short or Bolivar No.3.you WILL KNOW if you inhaled that or not.

if it's just a burning sensation with the back of the throat that is cleared by a drink of water, then i would say no to the inhalation. however, if it still remains, perhaps you simply went a tad too far. OR. the most likely presumption is that the smoke was too hot when going through. if that is the case, let the cigar cool for 30 second before a draw. this way, you actually get the best flavours anyways! :)

• Like 2

Retrohaling I remember made my nose run/burn and eyes water initially, but after a few weeks of regularly retrohaling that stopped. I also noticed that it was a bit more like that in the early part of the cigar but less so as the cigar progressed. Inhaling cigar smoke is gross and when I've done it accidentally in the past it's almost like I can taste a gnarly tobacco taste all the way down my throat. Gross.

• Like 1

Retrohaling I remember made my nose run/burn and eyes water initially, but after a few weeks of regularly retrohaling that stopped. I also noticed that it was a bit more like that in the early part of the cigar but less so as the cigar progressed. Inhaling cigar smoke is gross and when I've done it accidentally in the past it's almost like I can taste a gnarly tobacco taste all the way down my throat. Gross.

As you've implicitly mentioned, you're not supposed to inhale when retrohaling. that much is clear.

honestly, it's a tad hard to define 'back of the throat' because it's hard to draw the line. if you're very unclear about this, try your style of retrohale with a Partagas Short or Bolivar No.3.you WILL KNOW if you inhaled that or not.

if it's just a burning sensation with the back of the throat that is cleared by a drink of water, then i would say no to the inhalation. however, if it still remains, perhaps you simply went a tad too far. OR. the most likely presumption is that the smoke was too hot when going through. if that is the case, let the cigar cool for 30 second before a draw. this way, you actually get the best flavours anyways! smile.png

Thank you so much I love all this information! I'm definitely going to try those 2 cigars (not at once of course haha) with a glass of water. I'm sure I'll get used to it sooner or later !

Thank you so much I love all this information! I'm definitely going to try those 2 cigars (not at once of course haha) with a glass of water. I'm sure I'll get used to it sooner or later !

don't worry Alcatraz-k, at least i'm not telling you to inhale the MUWAT as i did with my mate. boy was he coughing up something fierce after that jester.gif

but as the bloke above me mentioned: could very well just be you needing to adjust to the fact that smoke is going somewhere it's never been before. like new smokers (fiiiiiiine, and me sometimes snooty.gif) will testify, the nicotine sickness is worth it in the end! and it goes away as you get further down the line! ok.gif

• Like 1

don't worry Alcatraz-k, at least i'm not telling you to inhale the MUWAT as i did with my mate. boy was he coughing up something fierce after that jester.gif

but as the bloke above me mentioned: could very well just be you needing to adjust to the fact that smoke is going somewhere it's never been before. like new smokers (fiiiiiiine, and me sometimes snooty.gif) will testify, the nicotine sickness is worth it in the end! and it goes away as you get further down the line! ok.gif

I've never heard of MUWAT, it sounds funny so i Googled it and it turns out the full name is even funnier than the the acronym hahahaha "my uzi weighs a ton"! rotfl.gif

Thanks again for the support!

P.S. I like the sound of Alcatraz lol2.gif

I've been to that website, that's where I learned about retro-haling tongue.png. I was actually just wondering how I would know if I'm doing it right or burning my lungs. Thanks though!

Hahaha i was referring to the link inside the link which is also the second link he posted! Link-ception? ^_^

Only when you fart and leave a little nicotine stain in your undies are you truly versed in the retro hailing like the rest of us aficionados. Just enjoy your cigar your style will come and the eyes watering, nose burning, gagging and coughing still stays with true smokers even when no one is around.

• Like 1

I don't like it, others do. For me, my nose is too sensitive.

I find that swishing the smoke around your mouth/pushing it from cheek to cheek quickly like you would with mouthwash, then blowing out as normal does a good job of simulating retrohaling as small amounts of smoke are pushed into the nose as a side effect.

What i do to retro hale is breath smoek into your mouth. Close your mouth, startexhaling through your nose and while doing so do almost a swalling action with your mouth where by you use your tongue to push smoke back int your throat and as you are exhaling, the smoek will go out your nose.

• Like 1

The only thing in my experience that is reminiscent of the one-two chest/nose gut punch of inhaling cigar smoke is when in graduate school, I accidentally took a whiff of bromine gas. One of the most "wake you the heck up" experiences of my life.

Wilkey

Trust me. If you've never smoked anything into your lungs ever, you will know when you do as you'll cough as if you choked back on spit or water and you'll tear up lol. As for the retrohale, even though I was an ex-smoker, it still hurt for the first month or so whenever I pushed it through the nasal passage. Now however, it goes out much smoother and actually lets me understand the the taste more, and whether it has smoothed out a bit since being in transit or from the local bnm.

I all seriousness, try inhaling a little just once so you have a point of reference.

As far as retro haling goes: The biggest mistake I made at first is that I tried to retro hale all the smoke... do NOT blow a whole mouthful of smoke out of you nose, I found that ~10% thru the nose is enough to engage the 'old factory' glands. Blow most of it out of your mouth, then the rest out through your nose. Too much smoke thru my nose gets me congested much like hayfever or something and then I loose all sense of taste/smell.

That swallowing action that LordAnibis described is a lot like what I do.

Dan

• Like 1

Actually once i got a better hang of the retro i now will blow a 3rd out my mouth, then retro some, then blow the last bit from my mouth again. Works really well and imo enhances the what i get from the retro.

So I've read about retro-haling and watched some "how to" videos and eventually I was able to get some smoke out through my nose but it gave a burning sensation to the back of my throathot.gif so I'm wondering if that means I'm inhaling. I've only recently started smoking cigars and never smoked anything else so the sensation of smoke in my lungs isn't familiar to me and I don't want it to be. Is the burning normal when retro-haling? If smoke gets to my lungs, how would I know other than possibly coughing?

Just breathe in and out through your nose when you smoke.

Most people breathe in through their nose as they are drawing on the cigar, so that your mouth fills with smoke, but doesn't reach your throat and cause that gagging/burning sensation. Roll the smoke around your mouth (much as you would taste a wine), then simply breathe out of your nose, and the smoke will magically exit via your nasal cavity.

In my experience, you pick up much more of the creamy taste of a cigar this way, whilst your taste buds pick up more of the spicy characteristics.

If you still find it tricky to release the smoke, just try lifting the middle part of your tongue to the roof of your mouth as you exhale. This will open your soft palate up and create a passage for the smoke.

Enjoy!