Eid Mubarak to All

Eid Mubarak to one and all! party.gif

Today marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadhan. Surprisingly i lost 5 kilos this year, now down to 56 kilos. Happy feasting and enjoy your time with family and friends. Today is one of 5 days in the year that is strictly forbidden for a muslim to fast. Eid-Al-Fitr. The reason for this it is considered a gift to all people, from Allah,and so it is a time to enjoy and celebrate.

As with all things religious and political, there is always controversy in the muslim world about the day on which Eid falls. The muslim calendar is based on a lunar calender. On the 29th day of Ramadhan muslim go out to sight the moon. If the moon crescent is sighted that means there is a new month and hence on the 30th day is Eid. If the moon is not sighted then muslims fast for the 30th day and Eid is called the day after. The biggest debate is whether or not one has to physically sight the moon (which is difficult if it's an overcast day) or if one can trust our astronomical systems of this current age. A few different schools of thought exist;

- Some people will rely solely on places like Burea of Meteorology (Aus)

- Some people will call Eid if the moon has been sighted somewhere else (ie in Perth they'll call eid if the moon was sighted in Sydney etc)

- Some people follow their own country (ie the turkish mosque in Perth will celebrate whenever Turkey celebrates)

- Some people only follow a moon sighting in their own location.

Either way the whole muslim population is always divided thanks to "leaders" who have nothing better to do so just cause debate and confusion between the muslim community.

Anyway that's just some insight into the disordered world of Muslim celebrations smile.png

I wish all of you a day of much food, much laughs and many smiles. Enjoy your time with family and friends, and of course enjoy your cigars people!!! cigar.gif

My cigar for this evening will probably be a nice small RASCC.

• Like 3

So, did you see the moon?

Enjoy and Eid Mubarak!

• Like 1

i never understood why people call this "fasting", its just about 12 hours or so. if you eat dinner early and breakfast late, then you've fasted longer than that. i've been on just water for like 3 days straight and wouldnt consider that fasting. just to process the rest of what is in your stomacht takes like two days, then the hunger starts to disappear and real fasting begins. religious aspects aside, ramadan is just a not so healthy way to plan your caloric intake. the healthiest is way is actually the other way round, eat dinner early and then just water. production of human growth hormone is most active during the night, caloric intake curbs this process.

Hmmm I think it is like 17 hours some places. My neighbour observe the tradition and it seems like a tough thing to do while living your normal life and working.

The way I understand it you cannot even drink water?

Not religious myself but I respect those who have faith.

Enjoy your cigar !

Hmmm I think it is like 17 hours some places. My neighbour observe the tradition and it seems like a tough thing to do while living your normal life and working.

The way I understand it you cannot even drink water?

Not religious myself but I respect those who have faith.

Enjoy your cigar !

I wasn't going to respond to that 9 posts bloke because that's not what this thread is about. It's like someone commenting in a Merry Christmas thread and saying "It's a pagan holiday, Jesus was born in March!!!".

To answer your question mate, we fast from sunrise to sunset. So depending on where you are and time of year you fast varying amounts of hours. ie in Aus at the moment fasts are about 13 hours, in London they are about 17 hours, in North Sweden i think they are 23 hours. No eating, drinking, smoking or sex. If i remember, next year i'll do a bit of a write up of exactly what fasting entails and the rules etc.

Not only that but we also have extra prayers at night time (about 1.5 hours worth of prayers). The biggest thing for me during the month of Ramadhan is the sleep deprivation from waking up, eating, going back to sleep for a bit, waking up, going to work, coming home, eating, go to mosque and pray, come home again, sleep a bit then wake up to eat again. It gets tiring pretty quick.

• Like 2

Eid Mubarak Mus!

What did you eat to break the fast today? Is it traditional or do you have whatever in the heck your heart desires?

Went to several evening 'Iftars' this year. Had some juice and tea I can't recall but were absolutely awesome. I tried asking but no one gave me a straight answer.

Eid Mubarak!

Business is always slow during Ramadan, but when it ends, it goes off like a rocket! Huge orders for BBQ charcoal in the last 10 days. ok.gif I really have to pay more attention for next year so I can fully stock the warehouse.