The pros and cons of cello wrap

The pros and cons of cello wrap?

I don't get to see too much Cello wrap these days on cigars. No premium Cubans at least. And yet some of the finest vintage cigars I have had ....were cellophane ensconced.

I quite enjoy the aged patina of oil on the inside of the wrapper. They are generally in excellent condition having avoided the prying fingers of people prior.

Maybe it is the retailer in me but I would love to see more cello cigars in Cuban premiums. OK, not dress boxes but certainly in Carton packs in order that you have a better gauge of quality.

For those more experienced than I in Cello premiums. What has been your experience?

do you leave the Cello on or off when aging?

have you found leaving them on affects the aging process (for the good or bad).

Does cello make you think it is "less" premium?

The pro's and cons of cello. Let me know your thoughts.

Pros:

-Has been known to dissuade and or quarantine beetles

-Makes vintage cigars taste better by keeping in oils and what have you - kinda like tubes

-Protects their feet

-Easy for me to pocket

-Amazing to see an aged yellow cello wrapped cigar

-Fun to unpackage (it's like mini-Christmas every time!)

Cons:

-Age slowly*

-Costs material value

*unsure if true.

• Like 1

I'm unsure on the pros and cons Rob.

I've often wondered if I should take the cello off when I've purchased NC's actually as I imagined they wouldn't age that well compared to the unwrapped cigars.

I have never had a cello wrapped Cuban other than a few mini cigarillos, nothing premium.

I'd imagine they wouldn't be affected so much from over humidity and or under humidification.

Reading the above response from maplepie, I think the pros to this is pretty interesting and kind of makes a lot of sense when one thinks about it. I'll leave them on from now on.peace.gif

It is an interesting thread that's for sure. Just when I thought there wasn't anything new to discuss on Cigars. :)

I have never had a cello wrapped Cuban other than a few mini cigarillos, nothing premium.

Er- cigarillos?

You mean other sizes right? Joyitas, Belvederes, and Puritos come to mind. But cigarillos are so small i don't think it'd be practical to do that. Unless you have a cigarillo brand in mind.

Reading the above response from maplepie, I think the pros to this is pretty interesting and kind of makes a lot of sense when one thinks about it. I'll leave them on from now on.peace.gif

Don't convert yet! Just because i can't think of any cons doesn't mean there exist none. [albeit flattering]

Also, i don't really care too much about NC cellos. If i had a choice, i'd say sod it. But i'm too lazy to maintain my NC humidor sometimes let alone care about removing them from cello! :lol:

You mean other sizes right? Joyitas, Belvederes, and Puritos come to mind. But cigarillos are so small i don't think it'd be practical to do that. Unless you have a cigarillo brand in mind.

I think they were Joyitas, though that was some time ago so I can't remember the type exactly. I also purchased some cigars off Trevor some time back where he threw in some smaller cigars that were cello wrapped.

I was once told by a trusted friend on a forum that Cellophane is cellulose from wood that breathes and protects. I have always left it on.

Pros:

-Protects cigar

-Breathes to age cigar

-Better for organizing/handling of your stock if you rotate or if you can't keep your damn hands off them

-Most cello has corners from folding so your cigar does not roll over

-Great for loose stock to not worry about the foot

Cons:

-As the cigar can swell or shrink the cellophane does not so the cellophane can get constrictive on some cigars. I have not noticed that it affects the cigar at all, but I've had many-a band get ripped off while removing from the cellophane.

-With loose stock with most of my NCs it makes the buggers slippery and can create an avalanche of a few sticks since the cello makes them slippery and they slide out towards you.

I was once told by a trusted friend on a forum that Cellophane is cellulose from wood that breathes and protects. I have always left it on.

Correct on cellulose. Doesn't have to be wood. And it shouldn't breathe. That's the whole point of cellulose, actually.

Back in high school, a good 'mate' o mine used old cellulose wrappers to put pot in and sell them that way as it gives absolutely no odour. Seriously. It is less porous (to oils and all) than saran wrap and ziplocks.

Keep in mind that Cellophane is made from cellulose with a layer of waterproof latex over it.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

• Like 1

When I began smoking about three years ago I was sold on the idea of taking the cello off (talking nc here). A year or so into it I could not distinguish any noticeable difference so I stopped. If a cigar has a sleeve it stays, if not so be it.

I personally think cello is great. It protects the cigars so much better, and if you travel with cigars or are in the habit (as I am) of picking out sticks and putting them in a "smoke soon" box ... it saves a lot of potential wrapper damage.

Also, i find that cello seems to lock in the cold aroma a bit more, not sure if this matters in the smoking experience.

I think the concept of cello retarding aging is probably far overblown. Cello is fully air-permeable, and I'm not sure how it could change much. But i'll admit that's a hard thing to prove one way or another.

Correct on cellulose. Doesn't have to be wood. And it shouldn't breathe. That's the whole point of cellulose, actually.

Back in high school, a good 'mate' o mine used old cellulose wrappers to put pot in and sell them that way as it gives absolutely no odour. Seriously. It is less porous (to oils and all) than saran wrap and ziplocks.

Keep in mind that Cellophane is made from cellulose with a layer of waterproof latex over it.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

I've also had the unfortunate instance where *GASP* beetles ate through a CAO - Liberty cigar and they ate a groove through the cellophane as well. NOT all holes had the cellophane ruined, but one hole had a crazy, lazer-cut edge cut through it before the bugger took off.

I think Cello is a win-win for cigars.

Some say it will slow the aging process. However IMO, that particular process of aging will yield a better result.

Cigars without Cello are exposed to the risk of rapid/vigorous air exchange resulting in moisture levels fluctuating in the cigar. Without the Cello protecting the cigar, the only line of defence is it's oil, much like wax on cars, which acts as a sacrificial barrier.

Cigars that don't have an oily sheen may indicate fluctuations in storage conditions, and oils from the cigar would have been evaporated.

Having Cello on a cigar is much like having a clear-bra on your car, a physical protection that won't wear off every time it rains.

I am also fully aware that this may trap ammonia in the cigar during different aging stages, but thats a whole different topic to talk about.

So yes, Cellophane would be my choice if given the option.

This has got to be one of the most controversial questions in the cigar world. I remember asking google these questions when I first got into cigars years ago. If you asked 1,000 people if they leave them on or take them off, it will be a split. The pros outweigh the cons and the cons outweigh the pros. Some I left on, and some I left off. I'm glad that 95% of my cigars now don't come with cello, so I don't have to beat myself up anymore and ask myself these questions again. :)

Having smoked soom cellophaned aged cigars In my 44 years of cigar enjoyment,I would go for having cellophane on all Habanos,

It will protect them from age quite nicely plus ,there's nothing more enjoyable then the act of taking the cellophane off,and then putting the cigars In the Humidor.If It Is not going to travel.

Guy

In a B&M sence knowing that direct customer love and affection is on the outside of the cello is a good thing. Watching a direct nostril lay down on a stick then put it back only to smudge up on another has nearly made me munt. So I grab a half corona only to reflect while smoking it that it's easier to cover all of this little stick with nostril essence than a DC.

i take off all my cello wrappers when its a full box and only leave them when i have a few singles of something. of course this only happens with all but CC's. and 70% of my cigars are CC's. since my CC's boxed are not in cello wrappers why keep them on the other boxes?

I'm glad that 95% of my cigars now don't come with cello, so I don't have to beat myself up anymore and ask myself these questions again. smile.png

I've always taken the cello off my NCs, merely because if some cigars come with it and some without it, then if the non-cello cigars age fine, then all cigars should age fine without cello, whether they came with it on or not.

This argument will rage on for eternity, but I totally agree. Thankful that most of mine have no cello, so there's no debate! haha

Tom

Not overly keen on them on premium cigars as personally I think it makes cigars look cheap; like a Henry Winterman or King Edward etc

No issues at all with the lower end cigars though. The cardboard pack idea seem good, anything to prevent the cardboard effect.

It would have a negative effect for celebrities though, cedar sleeves are more combustible and taste better than smoking a cigar with the cellophane on.

• Like 1

It would have a negative effect for celebrities though, cedar sleeves are more combustible and taste better than smoking a cigar with the cellophane on.

Fonsecas are great for them as well.

• Like 1

I like cellos. I have cigars >70 years old that are smokeable most likely due to the use of cello along with proper storage and care. I agree with the pros and cons outlined above. They also are good for those of us with the "dropsies". They add that extra bit of physical protection should you drop a stick. Cello IMO works. The track record is there. They've been in use on cigars for at least 100 years. Even better are some of the older cigars from the early 1900's that came foil wrapped. While that doesn't allow for moisture transfer in, it locks in what is there. I have a few with the foil and they are packed with flavour despite their age.

I'm a little ambivalent about cello. If they come with cello, fine. I'll usually leave them on. If they don't, it's still cool. The only time I ever come across cigars that I wish were cello wrapped is when I hit a local B&M and I see some otherwise good cigars (like the Padron 1926 and 1964) sitting in their boxes all roughed up from too many lookie-loos fondling the sticks and putting them back.

I've got some boxes of aged CCs with 5-10 years and no cello - they're great! I've got some aged boxes of NCs with 5-6 years and cello and some are great. The only time time I can distinctly recall removing the cello from a box was with the Paul Garmirian Gourmet Series Connoisseurs I got a few weeks back - just tasted bland and raw, so I said screw it, removed the cello, and am now letting them sit in their box for a few months to see if they get any better.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Like 1

Hmmm...it's an interesting read from those who've had experience with aged Cello wrapped cigars.

I understand all the pros and the reasons people do prefer them but I've got to say that whenever I see them it only makes me think that they look cheap and that completely puts me off!

Maybe it's like going from well-cooked steak to medium-rare? You have to get over the mental block and just try it to realise what you may have been missing.