Who are teetotalers here...and what beverage do you enjoy with your cigars?

I have numerous mates who are teetotalers and am always inspired by their beverage selection with cigars. Crikey I have gone on the wagon for 3 month spells before and enjoyed the process.

Who among you are teetotalers and what rings your bell when it comes to pair a cigar with a relaxing drink?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe I can safely say I have never had a cigar without an alcoholic drink to accompany it

I rarely drink alcohol anymore. With cigars, I like: - Coffee - Taiwanese or Hong Kong style milk teas (these are very sweet, basically dessert for anyone who hasn't tried) And I am a massive tea n

Not a tea person but i once had this stuff called Tea Tarik from a malaysian restaurant with a cigar. It was pretty nice!! Also i like Angostura Lemon Lime Bitters with a creamy cigar such as a Monte

I love my rum, Single malt scotch and coffee with Cigars but for some reason I tend to lean toward Pisco Sour's with a cigar, especially medium to fuller bodied CC's. ok.gif

I had a gingerale with a Davidoff today. Good.

I think the only thing that i would've rathered was some Ungava gin as it's quite oily.

Other than that... I have tried all of the following with cigars and have yet to hate a combination:

Rum, Cola, Water, Mineral Water, Whiskey, Cognac, Tequila, Vodka, Gin, Mixed Beverages, Orange Juice, Milk, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tea, Iced Tea, Sweet Tea, Coffee, Iced Coffee, Iced Frappes, Hot Chocolate, Beer, IPA, Cider, Mead, Grapa, Root Beer

However, my most common ones are Water, Coffee, Gin, Sprite, and Ginger Ale because most restaurants have ok variations of either. On top of that, these are the cheapest things to pair with cigars at bars.

TL;DR: I don't mind any drink [alcoholic or not] with my cigars.

I rarely drink alcohol anymore. With cigars, I like:

- Coffee

- Taiwanese or Hong Kong style milk teas (these are very sweet, basically dessert for anyone who hasn't tried)

And I am a massive tea nut. This is a whole other ball game and I love most teas, but prefer Chinese tea with cigars. White and green teas are too subtle, so usually it's:

- pu erh (very earthy and always aged 7+ years)

- red tea (especially golden eyebrow)

- Milky oolong, various rock teas from the WuYi mountains, tieguanyin. Oolong is the coffee drinker's tea of choice.

• Like 2

I have coffee or water with my cigars.

The coffee is handpicked family reserve from the Dominican Republic or a finca specific from Colombia.

The water is just tap water.

The contrast between the two drinks is humorous for me.

Also, Belgian tap water isn't 'just tap water'. It tastes like regular bottled water here. I loved your tap water!

• Like 1

I like Cuban coffees in the cooler months, but honestly I dont drink much when I smoke. To make matters worse, Im a 'spitter', when I smoke. Just a habit I cannot break, not sure why I do it. Usually by the end of an hour- hour and a half cigar Im terribly thirsty lol!

I'm currently on the wagon; trying to last until December as I'm on a bit of training/ fitness mission at the minute. The non alcoholic drinks I usually have with a cigar are; espresso, americanos, iced frappe, lemon Iced tea or occasionally I like a coke or soda water with ice and lemon. I find all of these pair really well.

Right now, alcohol and cigars go hand in hand for me. I love either a lighter beer, neat scotch or iced rum when I smoke. But I will have to get used to cutting my lawn with a cigar and not drinking, otherwise my lines will be crooked!

Not a tea person but i once had this stuff called Tea Tarik from a malaysian restaurant with a cigar. It was pretty nice!! Also i like Angostura Lemon Lime Bitters with a creamy cigar such as a Monte of Hoyo.

• Like 2

I don't drink alcohol at all any more. I gave it up years ago. 23yrs ago, to be exact. (I figured I had to do something about it before it took me out.)

I've tried quite a few things that others here have suggested, like gingerale, rootbeer, herbal teas (orange spice), lemon/lime sodas, water, coffee, etc. While they are all pretty good pairings, I've found I like nothing to drink better. My focus is on the flavors of the cigar only.

Dan

Not a tea person but i once had this stuff called Tea Tarik from a malaysian restaurant with a cigar. It was pretty nice!! Also i like Angostura Lemon Lime Bitters with a creamy cigar such as a Monte of Hoyo.

Agreed. Lemon lime and bitters for me is number one. As teas go my favorite choices are peppermint, lemongrass and oolong. Smoked Russian tea is also an interesting taste with a cigar.

My other drink of choice is iced water, either still or sparkling sometimes with lemon or lime. Iced coffee also, even when it's cold outside.

I quit drinking for twelve months a few years ago due to excessive consumption. Ive tried to have a few several times but just end up feeling horrible. Now my single malts and bourbons just sit there waiting for visitors. Saved a bunch of coin though

for the last year or so, its been mostly cognac XO and Dalmore Cigar Malt reserve. but occasionally i'll have a Picaroon or Gahan beer with a cigar and coffee sometimes.

For me Rooibos tea with a bit of honey/stevia/sugar is the best pairing for 100% of cigars. It's neutral enough not to rob you from the pleasure of a good cigar but also keeps your mouth refreshed for the next puff. Everything else is conditional to the strength and complexity of the cigar. Most cases I avoid alcohol since in my opinions steals the subtle flavors of many prominent cigars. Not a pairing fan.

My favorite tea with a cigar is lapsang souchong. But I'm not a teetotaler.

I don't understand how people can drink overly sweetened industrial beverages when they smoke a fine cigar. All this sugar coats your mouth and is detrimental to the appreciation of the cigar, IMHO.

• Like 2

I have been a coffee lover for years, so up until about 2 in the afternoon, a wonderful cigar mate. Later, ice water or ginger ale. Unless we are in the pool, the nothing.

* lately there is a thing going on with the site where it takes so long for the post to go up, you think you need to push the button twice. That's why so many double posts? And since we cannot delete our own posts, there they stand.

In the cooler months I will pair with tea or coffee. The tea is usually something other than black tea. Currently I am enjoying a Vietnamese OPA tea which has a slight smokey flavor. For the past few months I would say 80% of the time I drink cold tap water. Our tap water is also very good. Despite this I am not a teetotaler, far from it.