Another Andorra Report

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just came back from my trip to Europe. This time is primarily for my GF's birthday so not everything was cigar related as I wanted it to be, however I tried my best to squeezed some smoking time into

I will say it again: Andorra is a beautiful country, people are noble, dress well, orderly, everyone seems happy with their life. The streets are spotless, very modern, with many interesting architect

I am in Andorra for few days and following the footstep of Chris and Joe report's, I spend 2 days hunt cigars from 7 shops and find that only 4 shops are worthwhile to browse. At first shop I talk wit

Left Pas de la Casa, immediately after you leave town there was a toll gate, about 5-7 eur, and that was the only toll we had to pay in Andorra. Trip to Andorra la Vella takes 45min, as stated by Google maps, but we didn't feel it was that much because there were so much to see. We regretted not stopping to take photos, but if you are not in a rush, I strongly encourage that you do.

*Study your route to the cigar stores in La Vella! Don't just rely on GPS, we got lost quite a few times in the downtown area because GPS signal were blocked by the buildings/mountains, and the small streets were hard to navigate for a tourist.

We got to the area near the cigar store. First thing we notice in La Vella - there was alot of parking enforcements on the street, one in every few blocks to be exact. I get on average 1 parking ticket bi-monthly in Toronto so I definitely don't want to risk parking on the street. So I chose to park in the nearby parking garage in Pyrenees, free parking if you spend around 20 eur (intersection Av. Meritxell and Car. Dr. Molines). Additional parking available if you turn right, we did it on the first night it was around 3-4eur for 5 hours.

vellaparking_zps50d80db5.jpg

If you are bringing your SO, here's the plan: She shops at Pyrenees, you shop at the cigar store. Pyrenees is like the Macy's in Andorra, you can get awesome deals if you know what to look for, plus at the end of the night you get the complimentry parking. My GF knows a thing or two about cigar (she said she likes triple coronas) so she accompanied me to the store.

Frederick was the one who took care of me at the shop. He has vast knowledge about cigar (and everything else happening on Earth), he has also been to Havana a couple of times so we had quite a great chat aside from the shopping. He also invited me to come back the next morning to enjoy a cigar at their lounge (more on that later).

For now, it's photo time!

b1_zps9ffb06ff.jpg

b2_zps7361862f.jpg

b5_zps41e46f22.jpg

b4_zpsde18d413.jpg

b6_zpsfe58e57b.jpg

b7_zps1eb5be90.jpg

b8_zps17ca5dd9.jpg

I left with a box of Bolivar Lonsdale, H. Upmann No. 1 (it's for Chris, it will branch into another story in my Europe trip which I am quite thankful), and Quai D'Orsay Gran Corona.

Time for some rest. If Andorra = Christmas, then Masia d'en Valenti will be New Years Eve. It is also the dark horse out of our two weeks vacation. Masia d'en Valenti is a warm and cozy inn run by a Spanish couple - Masia the innkeep and Valentino the chef. I picked this accommodation at first simply because it is only 5-minute drive from the Andorra/Spain border so I could make multiple drops in and out of the city. Rate is also reasonable, I paid 75eur/night for a basic room, I think if you add a little bit more you get better room views + jet bath.

*The only downside - really hard to find. If you search on google maps they're give you the wrong location. It is a really tiny 1-car exit off the freeway right after you leave border.

We came in late (11pm), but nevertheless Valentino came out to the parking lot to greet us and showed us to our room (he even let us pick the one we prefer). Check-in desk is inside the dining hall, as we were busy writing down passport information we noticed a really bold, full bodied smell with garlic/butter/sea salt. There was only one 1 table left in the dining hall, what is Valentino cooking that it filled up the entire dining room with this aroma? Valentino said he was baking escargots. "Uno mas, por favor!"

We felt guilty as we just had dinner, but it was the best mid-night snack I've had for a long time.

escargot12_zps49ad27f3.jpg

*The sharp eyes will find an anomaly, yes it is a red. It's not world class but it paired really well with the snails.

The dish is so good that we decided to have breakfast and lunch there in the next day.

Is the inn cigar smoking friendly? I never asked. We were tremendously overwhelmed with the taste of the snails. Plus we needed to get some rest because we wanted to get back to Andorra at 10am to meet with Frederick and enjoy a smoke in the lounge.

• Like 2

I will say it again: Andorra is a beautiful country, people are noble, dress well, orderly, everyone seems happy with their life. The streets are spotless, very modern, with many interesting architectures and designs. Overall it feels different from the surrounding parts of France/Spain. It would be a shame if you go there just for the shopping alone.

20140927_105748_zpscd9e20e5.jpg

We headed out at 9:30 from our hotel on the Spain side. It was a quiet Saturday morning, getting back into Andorra was easy, we just drove through the border without needing to stop.

*Andorra has a very strong automobile culture, everywhere you'll see anything from tastefully maintained vintage to million-dollar exotics. On our way in we encountered something appeared to be a Mercedes club cruising around. 3 SL Gullwings followed by another 4 CLK-GTRs. Obvious they were too fast so we couldn't catch up with our Fiat Panda nor snap a photo.

Before meeting Frederick for a cigar we decided to stop at one more cigar store.

lcdh_zpsfd29e57d.jpg

Feels like home when I see the sign. Again it is a bit tricky to find, because Google maps won't give you the exact location when you put in the address. It is located within a square and please see above for the exact location.

Stock there is amazing, there are alot of boxes that I haven't seen in the previous stores. I walked out with the 2010 Montecristo Edmundo jar, Punch Royal Seleccion 12, and LGC MdO 2

20140927_104306_zpse348d32f.jpg

20140927_104415_zps51adfd67.jpg

20140927_104430_zpsbad3378f.jpg

20140927_104517_zps73cfb1ef.jpg

20140927_104536_zps18415eb8.jpg

20140927_104802_zpscb56fc11.jpg

20140927_104820_zpsc72d438b.jpg

20140927_104946_zps0fe7cecb.jpg

20140927_105001_zps1de1418c.jpg

Finally back to Frederick's store. Did I mention you can still smoke a cigar in cigar lounges in Andorra?

20140927_114036_zpscc5cc33f.jpg

20140927_114508_zpsba2d5ca5.jpg

I picked the Por Larranaga RS, because I really liked the box design. However, despite being a PL fan I did not like this at all. Contrary to the theme of this release, you have to smoke really really slow in order to get only a tiny bit satifaction out of it.

GF showed up with 4 shopping bags in hand and I knew I could not afford to light up another one or I will go broke.

*Protip - If you are planning for your arrival to Andorra, please cross out Saturday. Why? See the photo below. I could show you a 5-minute video of how many cars we passed by but I think you get the idea. No accidents, just pure volume, it made a 20 min drive into 2 hours. If you have to arrive on Sat, do it early in the morning before 10.

20140927_133920_zpsad45ba5e.jpg

*Protip 2 - Fill up your gas before exiting Andorra. When I was there the 95 Sans Plomb was 154 in France and 124.5 in Andorra

*Maybe I'm lucky both time we exited Andorra they custom didn't bother to check anyone. Just remember it is 75 cigars per person and you shouldn't have a problem with them.

We went back to the inn for more Michelin-star quality food. I'll let the photos do the talking but the onion soup is really something, something that surprised me immensely when I got to the bottom. Chef Valentino loves food, he loves both eating/cooking, and he puts a lot of thoughts in his creation. Best part - My menu costs only 20 eur, GF's is about 40 cause she wanted a big steak with a slab of foie gras that's the same surface area.

20140927_143529_zpsf8deda7e.jpg

20140927_143618_zps44931a01.jpg

20140927_150316_zps83be72d8.jpg

With a well-fed car carrying two well-fed people, we headed back to France. Route was pretty straight foward, basically go south on N-145, when you reach La Seu D'urgell head east on N 260 towards Puigcerda. Shortly after the road will lead back to Mont Louis where we first came from.

map_zps8bdf15f6.jpg

*For the paranoid ones (me inlucded), there are no border customs at Puigcerda.

That's it for the trip report! I hope it is useful to your trip planning, or even inspire a new travel idea for you. If you have any questions please post them in this thread and I will try my best to answer you, for everything vendor/price related please PM.

Some bonus photos from the other segments of my trip:

Smoking a Quai D'Orsay on Quai D'Orsay in Paris (Thanks Art for this fabulous 2002 Corona)

20140919_103326_zpsc630f4b1.jpg

Morning smoke - the Aude region in France

20140926_091626_zpse0dc01ae.jpg

Visited LCDH Amsterdam. Manager Diederek is a sensible gentleman and connoisseur to many fine things in the world. The most tasteful LCDH I have been to, awesome LGC selection too. Thanks for telling me what you thought about the Picadores, I will now set pursue on a few boxes.

20141001_185103_zps6da4b550.jpg

Apparently you can smoke at LCDH in Andorra too, but I chose the other one because Frederick is cooler.

20140927_105527_zps9796643d.jpg

Best feeling in the world, smoking in the comfort of your own home, with windows open and only your boxers on. *This is a flat we rented in Barcelona and the owner is nice enough to let me smoke inside.

20140928_201852_zpse7d68017.jpg

• Like 4

*Something interesting I have noticed, Andorra shops loves to give out freebies along with your purchases. I got a bunch of free lighters/cutter with my cigar purchases.

It's a common practice in Spain, to some degree in Switzerland and Germany. But in Andorra, you can even expect a glass of rum and a cigar if the clerk must leave you for a moment, to deal with other customers.

Please tell me that you bought at least one box of these Astorias!!!!!

• Like 1

It's a common practice in Spain, to some degree in Switzerland and Germany. But in Andorra, you can even expect a glass of rum and a cigar if the clerk must leave you for a moment, to deal with other customers.

Please tell me that you bought at least one box of these Astorias!!!!!

It's not until after I left Pas de la Casa to find out the Astorias are highly regarded, next time I shall come back with more cigar lore under my belt haha

• Like 1

Very nice, Joe. Shame you couldn't've timed it with Fred, though

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

On the bright side, lucky I didn't make any promise between you and Fred. The Barcelona portion was chaotic compared to the rest of the trip, but that's something I'll share at the herf

A very good resources for my trip next two weeks there. Please report more on cigar shop in Andorra la Vella. perfect10.gif

An immediate tip I can give you, like Smallclub said, get the Astorias!

• Like 1