2015 Cricket World Cup - Post your predictions here

Ok folks, so the World Cup is around the corner. Who will win and why?

For me, Australia have been in hot form in the one-day game lately but can they overcome injury concerns (Michael Clarke, James 'the finisher' Faulkner) and captaincy concerns (who the bloody hell will captain the team when the games get underway)?

As an Australian, I want Australia to win, but I think South Africa will breakthrough for their maiden win, especially since they have so famously failed to truimph with better teams in the past. I think New Zealand have a good chance too since their form lately has been outstanding.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/series/509587.html

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those unfamiliar with why Pakistan are a threat....traditionally in World Cups they have been known to lose to minnows and then knock off big-name teams in the same tournament. (But it's never bee

My prediction is that I'll have blown my lid at the Ch 9 commentary team by the first 10 overs in game 1. I'll then put the tv on mute and listen (hopefully if they're broadcasting) on ABC radio. Can

the problem is that every time slater comes on, the entire thing descends into farce. on the very rare times he actually talks cricket, he is not too bad, but sadly, he thinks he is robin williams and

I don't know enough about how test cricket translates to the ODI format, but after what Australia did to England in the Ashes, they certainly seem to be on top of the cricketing world. As tournament hosts, it's hard to fathom anyone topping them, although I suppose anything can happen in the one day game. I've just seen they're 2-1 favorites to win it. Imagine the pressure to win might be a factor.

Sorry to jump into another of your threads on a sport about which I can't speak intelligently. I'll leave the discussion and banter to those who actually know what they're talking about. I'm interested to watch this competition though.

It's a pleasure wabashcr to fill you in on the nuances of One-Day Cricket. This is what I love about FoH, plenty of members who are willing to help out on areas of interest for the benefit of others. I myself have greatly benefited from the knowledge I've gained from meeting Sydney FoH members this year in regards to cigars.

The best way to explain this format of the game is to compare it to Baseball (another great game in my opinion). Test Cricket is played over 5 days and takes patience to succeed. Think of hitters who hit for average such as Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn or Paul Molitor.

One-day Cricket is played in one day with both teams receiving 50 overs of bowling. You need a mix of patient batters at the beginning and big hitters at the end to be successful. In Baseball, hittlers who can hit for power and for average tend to be your standout players....think of Ted Williams, Ken Griffey Jr. or Bryce Harper. Cricket players who do both standout in One-day cricket too such as South African AB DeVilliers.

20/20 Cricket is a recent format of the game, in terms of being played internationally between countries. In this format of the game you need players who can improvise and are big hitters. In terms of Baseball, think Prince Fielder or Jim Thome.

Thanks for the primer on one day cricket. The baseball analogies certainly help. Question, how many players from Australia's Ashes winning side will participate for them in this event? I assume there's a fair amount of crossover? Also, is there any difference in bowling strategy? I know in test cricket you usually feature a good variety of fast bowlers and spinners. Is that dependent on the opponent, or opposing batsman?

Cricket is virtually non-existent in the US, mostly played by Indian and Pakistani immigrants. The mayor here in Indianapolis infamously proposed a multi-million dollar cricket ground to try to lure young Indian professionals and businesses looking to employ them. It did not go over well at all.

That is hilarious...the idea of a multi-miliion dollar criket stadium in Indianapolis!

The recent Ashes series between Australia and England (won 5-0 by Australia) featured 15 players for Australia: Michael Clarke ©, Brad Haddin (vc & wk), George Bailey, Doug Bollinger, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, David Warner, Shane Watson and Alex Doolan. The players in bold are in this year's World Cup squad. Additional players are: Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell and Mitchell Starc.

Of all these players, there does seem to be a fairbit of crossover between formats. Aaron Finch is the only player who has not played both Test cricket and One-day cricket, although I would argue that players such as Xavier Doherty, Glenn Maxwell and George Bailey likewise a better suited to One-day cricket.

In terms of bowling strategy, there is a big difference. In Test cricket you need a spinner to bowl for a long length of time to keep pressure on the opposition by restricting scoring. Also, you have 80 overs to use the ball until it is replaced and this means a spinner is better suited to use the ball when it is older and 'softer'. In One-day cricket this does not apply because two cricket balls are used from both ends, for 25 overs each. You still need a mix of fast bowlers and slower spinners. Fast bowlers come on at the beginning and end of each innings whereas slower spin bowlers tend to come on in the middle overs.

I think the Aussies should win but just having the one (fairly average to be honest) spinner concerns me a little. I'm cautious in dismissing the Kiwi's as it's also their home deck, with their form being impressive in the lead up. RSA have the best batsman in world cricket and a bowling attack that is not only very good but well suited to Australian conditions.

Roll of the dice for either Aus, RSA, or NZ in my opinion. Can't wait.

If Australia can play as many of their games as possible at the WACA then they are a shoe in for the final. This is the only pich in Australia that is truely unique and gives any home team a huge advantage. I think the other pitches will be well suited to the Kiwis and the South Africans and they should prove to be very even games and a great specticle to watch as the batters should get on top on the bowlers and show off some big hitting.

Luckily I have corrupted the kids young and they are almost as cricket tragic as me and if any game is on at the WACA we will be there.

....and Australia for the win!

I'll be rooting for England as its in my blood...but just like all English sides wether it bee football, rugby or cricket they will disappoint. I have not liked their for as of late. Oh well still Go England!

I caught up with my brother-in-law yesterday after he had a two week vacation in Sri Lanka. (Interesting fellow, Sri Lankan background, grew up in Thailand due to parents working for the U.N, educated in the USA - Penn State - and he speaks with a Bostonian accent. A mad cricket nut like myself though.)

He felt New Zealand were a team to look out for, but South Africa and Australia were favourites. We discussed the recent Australia, India and England tri-series. Certain players such as Glenn Maxwell and James Faulkner have been particularly dangerous at the end of an innings. I came home to find that Australia and India had a warmup game in Adelaide where Glenn Maxwell hit a 100 of something like 50 balls. They won by 100 runs incidentally. I can't get over how some of these players can keep up their sustained hitting like they do in One-day and 20/20 cricket.

I reckon Australia will win because they have a lot of options who have been given a lot of international experience. They also have a list that can bat all the way through the innings. If just one of Finch or Warner get off to a good start then the lower order can run riot. It seems as though Sth Africa and NZ are a chance if they make the final because anything can happen on any given day. But don't dismiss Pakistan to upset a few of the more fancied sides.

For those unfamiliar with why Pakistan are a threat....traditionally in World Cups they have been known to lose to minnows and then knock off big-name teams in the same tournament. (But it's never been proven if gambling was involved or notinnocent.gif )

• Like 1

And for those of you who are in the know of things...Chris Gayle is an incredible One-day and 20/20 player, an outright explosive hitter. If only his ego would allow him to understand that he is supposed to play for The West Indies, not the other way around!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup-chris-gayle-really-is-bigger-than-the-west-indies-cricket-team/story-fnqpo3wn-1227212439689

My prediction is that I'll have blown my lid at the Ch 9 commentary team by the first 10 overs in game 1. I'll then put the tv on mute and listen (hopefully if they're broadcasting) on ABC radio.

Cant stand Warne, Slater, Brayshaw etc etc in the box. It's like you're listening to the Footy Show call the cricket.

• Like 1

I am feeling confident about Australia for the win.

England is my roughy but with a big IF and that is that they play with confidence and their stars get going (Morgan, Jimmy Anderson and the new spinner). Unlikely of course.

On the same day Australian Captain Michael Clarke top scores in a warm-up match vs the United Arab Emirates, former captain Ricky Ponting advises him to step down after this World Cup...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ricky-ponting-says-michael-clarke-should-stand-aside-as-australias-oneday-captain-after-world-cup-20150211-13c4cg.html

Brisbane misses out because Campbell Newman's (former) state goverment wouldn't commit financially to promoting the games. So Brisbane fans enjoy Australia vs Bangladesh, Ireland vs the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan vs Zimbabwe...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup-2015-brisbane-a-tournament-wasteland-as-pollies-fail-to-deliver-gabba-blockbuster/story-fnqpo3wn-1227215490662

For those of you who know what a devastating and at times unconventional One-day and 20/20 cricketer Glenn Maxwell is, Aakash Chopra has written an incisive article behind Maxwell's batting method....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/828081.html

He still manages to look like his 'brain isn't working' sometimes when dismissed. Kind of reminds me of Mark Waugh and David Gower when it comes to 'soft' dismissals.

It's only a warmup game, but do note that New Zealand handed out a thumping to South Africa in Christchurch today. Don't underestimate the Kiwis at home!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/829325.html

Also, note how Pakistan has quietly gone about beating their quality opposition this week.

My dad is a brit, and use to be a scorekeeper in england as a youth. I started to get into the sport a few years back but didnt quite understand how it worked, He bought be the book Cricket for dummies, and i'll tell you what, its a brilliant book for those who want to understand the sport.

Those 'dummies' or similar 'complete idiot's guides' books are usually outstanding resources, I remember devouring the Complete Idiot's guide to Baseball by Johnny Bench in the 1990's and recently I've enjoyed the Complete Idiot's guide to cigars by Tad Gage.

Typical BBC article you've posted there riazp. One the one hand it dicusses England not being intimidated by their oppsition, on the other hand there is an informative video included explaining England's one-day cricket woes!