Taking CC into the US

Looks like i will be in the US for a week early May and was wondering if with the recent changes I can now bring in some CC to smoke whilst there, will I have problems at customs if I bring in 10 or so?

On the same topic can any members give me some advice on how best to spend a free weekend in Chicago on my own?

The fool proof way is to remove the bands should they wish to inspect your stuff. I don't have enough faith in customs having much of a clue of how to handle cc's with any degree of certainty and then applying the changes on a uniform basis. After all, it is run by the US government.

While in chicago, here are some MUSTS:

1) Giordanos stuffed pizza

2) Portillos or Al's #1 Italian beef-order wet with hot peppers

3) A taste of the top attractions can be purchased with the Chicago City Pass. That'll get you into the Shedd Aqyarium, Sky Deck, and Field Museum. I would opt for the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Institute for the remaining 2 options.

I'll be staying the night next weekend and plan on having a nice dinner at David Burke's Primehouse.

For a lounge to smoke, Iwan Ries seems to be the best from my research, but not sure if I'll be able to have a smoke with my limited time.

• Like 1

Unless you are on a direct US-CUBA-US flight and are under the $100 limit, nothing really has changed with regard to importing CC's.

That being said, the above advice is best (remove bands) but that is not something I normally do and I have not had an issue in 10-15 trips or so.

There is no foolproof way. It is still illegal to bring in Cuban cigars afaik. Removing the band's help, but the onus is on you to prove they are not Cubans.

I second Giordanos. I'm drooling thinking about it.

Wrigley field for a ball game is always fun too.

• Like 2

There is no foolproof way. It is still illegal to bring in Cuban cigars afaik. Removing the band's help, but the onus is on you to prove they are not Cubans.

I second Giordanos. I'm drooling thinking about it.

Wrigley field for a ball game is always fun too.

I don't know they can seize cigars unless they have proof of them being habanos. I just always declare them being hand rolled where I came from.

They just opened a Giordanos here in Indianapolis a month ago. May just grab one today now that I think about it :)

• Like 1

I don't know they can seize cigars unless they have proof of them being habanos. I just always declare them being hand rolled where I came from.

They just opened a Giordanos here in Indianapolis a month ago. May just grab one today now that I think about it :)

My SIL lives in Carmel and she is a self proclaimed Giordanos addict. She went to order for the first time from there and they told her she could pick it up on Monday! It was Friday when she ordered.

My SIL lives in Carmel and she is a self proclaimed Giordanos addict. She went to order for the first time from there and they told her she could pick it up on Monday! It was Friday when she ordered.

Yeah, it was a little busy. :)

I called the day they opened. Wait time was 7 hours. Ordered one for lunch pickup the next day. Even then, there were 30+ people in line when they finally opened the door.

Looks like i will be in the US for a week early May and was wondering if with the recent changes I can now bring in some CC to smoke whilst there, will I have problems at customs if I bring in 10 or so?

On the same topic can any members give me some advice on how best to spend a free weekend in Chicago on my own?

It sounds like band removal us best.

Chicago highlights:

*Giordanos or UNO downtown (original and different)

*Weiner Circle for a hot dog

*Museum of Science & Industry is my fav.

*La Pasadita on Ashland for tacos

*So many great restaurants for a high end meal.

*Chicago Chop House is old school steak house.

*Iwan Reis for gars dowtown old school place

*Art Museum is gorgeous

*View from the lakefront is incredible

*View from the Shedd Aquarium of the city is awesome.

*Best night view of the city is heading north on lake shore drive at McCormick Place ramp to get on I94/I55 interchange ramp. Unfortunately you can't stop but it's breath taking and can cause and accident so be careful.

*Wrigley for a game and a warm sunny day in the bleachers is awesome!

*I love Chicago!

Just got back from the Windy City visiting my College son. Stop by Casa de Montecristo. Let them know you are visiting and they will let you go smoke in the VIP lounge. Great experience.And Giordanos is a must!

Just got back from the Windy City visiting my College son. Stop by Casa de Montecristo. Let them know you are visiting and they will let you go smoke in the VIP lounge. Great experience.And Giordanos is a must!

Yes if you can get out to Countryside, Casa de Montecristo is really fantastic!

US customs deems all cigars that are unbanded as Cuban and that is fact!

I crossed into the U.S. 4 weeks ago and spoke to homeland security about bringing Cubans in and they could not provide me with a definitive answer as they had not received any clear direction. Again, this was as if 4 weeks ago.

Another great pizza place is Gino's East.

Always an argument of Gino's vs Giordanos. Had one from each my last trip there. I found Gino's sauce to be sweeter and that's why my preference was Giordanos. Can't go wrong either way.

I'm gonna go full nerd on you for a second. The Art Institiute is one of the best art museums I've been to in the US. It also has my favorite painting of all time,

83a0ad2ae5ab8cf7ee34f15cf3f33dc8.jpg

Just amazing to look at in person

I'm far from an art nerd too, but was also impressed. Not as good as the Louvre, but still quite good. I specifically looked for that painting as it was highlighted in ferris bueller's day off.
  • Like 1

Giordano's is good, and there are plenty of them around. We just got one in Indianapolis, and the wait times are ridiculous. Gino's East and Lou Malnati's are also good Chicago style pizza places. I'd second Al's for an Italian beef. They have a handful of locations.

If the Cubs are in town, definitely take the red line (train) up to Wrigley for a game. The stadium is in a neighborhood with tons of bars and restaurants, and weekend games are usually played in the early afternoon.

Other Chicago attractions worth a visit include Navy Pier, Museum of Science & Industry, Art Institute, shopping on Michigan Ave, Chicago river cruise, Skydeck or John Hancock observation deck, Lincoln Park zoo (free), Grant Park, Shedd Aquarium.

Enjoy. Chicago in late spring/early summer is incredible.

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan, and they're finally going to be better this year. Future looks bright. Of course the Cubs will find a way to ruin it, but it's all part of the ride. Someday they'll win it all and it will all have been worth it. Just hope I'm still alive. One of my favorite commercials, unfortunately for a video game:

One need not be a Cubs, or even a baseball or sport fan to enjoy an afternoon at Wrigley.

If you have some NC bands, just switch them out. Or you can print some Dominican labels out on your computer and tape them on.

Don't sweat it, just remove the bands from your..........dominicans:) It's only legal to bring them in if you were on a LICENSED trip to Cuba.

Definitely check out Iwan Ries smoke lounge. BYOB. There's a. $15 cover. They have glasses and Ice.

life is too short to sweat the small stuff

if you want the bands on, bring them with the bands on

if you want as close to 100% security take the bands off

Done it many many times both ways, but enjoy Chi-town - one of my favorite places to visit

First of all, I'm extremely jealous. You are heading to my home city and I miss it so. With that being said, you will get millions of ideas and loads of advice from tons of people because the city is SO big. That being said, part of the fun is just walking around and following your intuition. Here are a few of my "must dos" every time I go back.

1. Portillos- Chicago style hotdog, Chili dog, Italian beef, Italian beef/sausage combo

2. Al's beef- Italian beef, wet and loads of peppers....it's the chi-town way

3. DO NOT waste your money on the city pass, that is for tourists who actually think they can accomplish all those things with time to spare....save the money and pick maybe one or two of those things to do over the weekend. As an example, the art museum for some people is an ALL day ordeal.

4. DO NOT waste money on paying to go to the skydeck of the Hancock or the sears tower, instead, go to the Hancock and head up to the 95th floor to the signature room restaurant and lounge. You can go to the bar and buy a drink and enjoy the city from 95 floors up without having to pay 50$ for a tourist attraction.

5. Depending on time of year Navy Pier is a cool place to be but very tourist heavy. If you like boats and like doing the tourist thing get a ticket to go on the "sea dog". You can either do the extreme ride where they run you up and down the lake front or you can do an architectural tour through the city.

6. As far as nice restaurants for an upscale dinner, the world is literally your oyster. All you have to do is ask yourself how much you want to pay per plate....50, 100, 250, 500....?

7. Get comfy on public transportation if you don't want to spend money on cabs. DO NOT rent a car....absolutely no reason to ever do this in the city. If you are flying into O'Hare or Midway you can take the EL into the city, then cab to your hotel, then just skate around the loop on either a bus, train, cab, or by renting one of the little bicycles that they rent out to ride around Chicago.

8. Smoking....do it, everywhere, it's Chicago everyone does anyway....But really, if you are in the south loop check out https://www.jackschwartz.com/ that is were I spent every afternoon when I'd get off work from the trading floor. This cigar shop is in the ground floor of the Chicago Board of Trade....amazing building located right at the intersection of Lasalle and Jackson. Amazing area to enjoy an amazing cigar.

I could write a novel on this topic, as I wish I was back in Chicago everyday. If you want more info, specific restaurant locations or other stuff let me know.

Seth

• Like 2

Untitled

11 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654

http://untitledsupperclub.com/

Awesome place. Nice vibe. A LOT of bourbon. I mean A LOT. Seriously, more than you think. Essentially an American tapas place with class.

Three Dots and a Dash

435 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60654

http://threedotschicago.com/

Rated one of the best bars in the world. Tiki bar. Neat place, hidden entrance (people will help you find it)

Hubbard Inn

110 W Hubbard St, Chicago, IL 60654

www.hubbardinn.com

Just a good place to get a nice meal in an nice atmosphere. I particularly enjoy their breakfast. FANTASTIC breakfast.

Harrys Velvet Room

1480 W. Webster • Chicago

http://harrysvelvetroom.com/

Famous. Oysters. 'Nuf said!

As far as steak goes try a Morton's or Sullivan's. Great places. Morton's get's out of hand quick and is by no means cheap but the dry aged steaks are fantastic. Especially if you throw some bernaise on there.

I'd agree with not wasting your money on the City Pass. It's entertainment overload. If you did actually do everything on it you'd be roasted by the end of your trip. The planetarium is a neat place as well, but just go for a show, the rest of it is a bit kid centric. And when at all possible I'd recommend the El over cabs or the bus. Good god... the bus.

And, for the record, the following two facts are absolute:

1) Pizza = Uno or Due. That is all. This will not be debated innocent.gif

2) We don't all eat our hot dogs this way, but if you're curious:

Sesame seed steamed bun, ALL BEEF hot dog, chopped onion, relish, sport peppers, celery salt, pickle spear, tomatoes, mustard.

^^^ Never understood that. I love a Chicago dog, and don't use ketchup myself, but I'm always baffled when those clowns that run the shops and stands up there get all worked up about it. It's a freaking hot dog.

On a related note, I was sad to see Hot Doug's shut down a few months back. Never had any problem waiting in those lines, especially when they had duck fat fries.

• Like 2