Hong Kong Advice

Howdy Botl,

I've had some personal matters arise that've meant I've got to make an immediate and unforeseen trip to Hong Kong to settle estate matters. To be honest I've done absolutely no research into going to Hong Kong before. I know some of you have been there before and some of you perhaps even live in that neck of the woods.

Any advice on helping me hit the ground running would be greatly appreciated. Where should I look to stay? Is money easily accessible from Australian Banks there? Is there anything I should be aware of safety wise or travel wise?

I'm still figuring out which way is up myself here so I'm not even sure what questions to ask.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I'm sure some experts can chime in here, but not much to worry about as an Aussie in HK.

- It's safe, but exercise common sense/standard travel precautions. Easy to get around with the train system. All stations are clearly marked in English

- I don't recall seeing any Australian banks there. But you can withdraw cash from other ATMs (but check with your bank anyway before you leave).

- Take some cash with you as well, department stores will accept credit card, but a lot of restaurants and smaller shops will be cash only.

- Get an Octopus Card when you arrive. This is a card that you pre-load with cash. Can be used for public tranport, as well as small purchases from 7-11 etc. Any money left on the card that you don't spend, you can get refunded when you leave

Word of advice: Steer clear of the shopping districts frequented by folks from mainland China. Apparently there have been some demonstrations, even acts of violence, in these areas due to resentment by HK locals towards folks from mainland China. Sounds as if the main issue is people buying goods in HK for resale in China for profit. '

I will be there in a couple of weeks, but just passing through on a connections to Shanghai. Enjoy, there are some great restaurants and so forth in Kowloon.

I'm not entirely sure where we'll be at the moment but we'll be starting and staying somewhere in harbor road near the Italian consulate. Very much doubt we'll be doing any tourist type stuff.

Does anybody have experience sending packages from hong kong to Australia? Something cheap and reliable/safe?

We'll be traveling to settle my partners fathers deceased estate.. This point in time we know very little she hadn't seen him in 10 years but he has no other next of kin available to do all the necessary stuff so we're not even sure how much or what belongings he has that need sorting etc..

All of the above is great. Last few years I do Maccau every other year and a few days in HK staying on the island is great but if you stay on the mainland Kowloon side the accomodation is a step down in price the more blocks back from the harbour you are. I spend most of my time on the island so I just stay there now. Taxis are cheap and the money thing I just let my banks know my dates of travel and use my cards at hotels and get cash from the ATMs. Put your cigars in your carry-on and tell them nothing. And don't get so drunk that you think you can free stand on the ferry without the use of a hand rail, one of the ferry captains came in hard to the terminal and bounced me off the engine room wall into four locals and I dropped the lot of them. All good, I was fine but the locals not so good.

• Like 1

Lots of great hotels in Hong Kong. A new one that was quite nice, and a bit boutique-y, was the Pottinger in Central : http://www.thepottinger.com/en/about-us/facilities-services.php

It's close to Central and Lan Kwai Fong and a 2 stop subway ride to TST. It has a restaurant with an outdoor, smoking patio.

It's also just a 2 minute walk to 12 Pedder Street (4th floor) and the Red Cigar Divan: http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/five-of-the-best-cigar-bars-in-hong-kong

As for post of goods maybe ring a few customs brokers in Melbourne they might have some room in a container for larger items and all the contacts to get to in HK to make that happen. Posting heaps of little items might get pricey but finding a little gap in a container might work out. Maybe?

Nope, I speak English and she speaks English and Italian.. I'm thinking finding some container room sounds promising but its hard knowing very little of what he owns... Got a quote so far for a metre box, 20kg $350. Thats the best I've found thus far.

Seeking accommodation near the Italian consulate, walking distance and with the time of year prices per night are varying in the cheapest I've found from $80 right up to $340.

20kg for a cubic metre isn't much, especially if there may be small heavy items. I'd call up a few freight forwarders and ask for a quote for an LCL shipment (minimum is 1 cubic metre).

Edit: Just had a look at a quote I got back in Dec 2014. You're looking at the following breakdown:

Ocean Freight - USD $40 / cubic metre (or 1000kg, which ever is greater)

Delivery Fee - USD $85

Terminal Charge - USD $105 / cubic metre

Then you have to add local charges. Last LCL shipment out of China to Sydney I did for a customer came out to about $1200 for 5 cubic metres.

If you want to do air freight, I can find out the price for you on Monday.

Hmm I'm not sure but the first quote sounds allot more promising Fuzz, Who was that through? Thank you

Going to book tickets now.. To make things even more complicated apparently there's some sort of Rugby thing on now making China very busy and at the end of the week ofcourse its Easter... Making it busy and expensive.. What can you do eh..

How long will you be there for? If its a week or longer get a suit tailor made should cost about 200 usd but they will try and get your tourist money and say 500 to 600 you have to bargin. Would take a mimum of 3 fittings to do right.

Leaving tomorrow morning from Adelaide and returning on the 7th to Mildura. Flight options this late were pretty limited.. It was either lose a day... drive to Adelaide.. or pay 13000 for business class.
I'll keep the suit thing in mind.. But I doubt the mrs will find it in very good taste.

Hmm I'm not sure but the first quote sounds allot more promising Fuzz, Who was that through? Thank you

Going to book tickets now.. To make things even more complicated apparently there's some sort of Rugby thing on now making China very busy and at the end of the week ofcourse its Easter... Making it busy and expensive.. What can you do eh..

Shipped via OOCL. You'd need to pack and transport the boxes to the freight forwarders depot (or contact a freight forwarder who will pick up as part of their service).

It's kind of like when you move overseas for work. Pack all your stuff, forwarder picks it up and loads the container, then you wait till the container arrives. This can be a while if there are no LCL shipments available, or they are waiting to fill the remainder of the container. Sea freight is cheaper, but air freight is better if you are in a rush.

Hong Kong Rugby Sevens is this weekend, with is pretty bad timing from your perspective having to book at short notice. All the best for your trip, hope it goes as well as possible in difficult circumstances

Finally finished funeral arrangements, Between consulates and offices it has been a small nightmare.. The people have been one of extremes.. Either very friendly or very rude. The country seems to be much the same way.. For all its worth wether its good or bad it is boldly itself.. Overall it hasn't been a pleasant trip. It feels something like being stuck in a mystery novel currently with lots of shady and mysterious happenings etc.. I'll be happy to be back in Australia soon enjoying a cigar after surviving the trip.