The One Cigar You would give....

A question for the weekend thinking.gif

The one Cuban cigar from your collection that you would give to someone new to Cuban cigars that encapsulates Cuban cigars at their best? The one that you believe will draw that "ahhh now I get it" response cigar.gif

And for members new to Cuban cigars and are experienced in non Cubans (or those experienced in both). The one Non cuban cigar from your collection that you would give to someone new to Cuban cigars that encapsulates non Cuban cigars at their best? The one that you believe will draw the same "ahhh now I get it" response 2thumbs.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're gettin' my Jose`L. Piedra

PLP not to strong good creamy taste in A mild cuban Avo classic or XO good consistant low medium NC smoke

First cigar that comes to mind is the Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra.

Good question. Did it recently and gave a friend an Epi 2 and the result was positive.

Depends on the person. If I know said noob is really interested and would appreciate a good cigar, even if he/she do not have a refine palate, then it's only the best, Siglo VI, Mag 46, PSD4, even a BBF, etc. If I know the noob won't appreciate it, as in smoking said cigar is only a filler activity, then a JLP Petite Cazadore or HdM Palma Extra if I really like the person.

Being cold and miserable, and not conducive to a larger cigar, last night I gave a buddy of mine a HU half corona - and he loved it - especially the last half.

I'd say that is a good place to start. Nice RG. Draws well. Good strength and body.

I think I may have found you a new client, Mate.

A question for the weekend thinking.gif

The one Cuban cigar from your collection that you would give to someone new to Cuban cigars that encapsulates Cuban cigars at their best? The one that you believe will draw that "ahhh now I get it" response cigar.gif

It's funny you bring this up, Rob as a group of us were discussing this topic at the last Sydney FoH get together. What one considers a good cigar is relative. The case being, my brother-in-law, who I gave a Non-Cuban Aging Room F55 Quattro to smoke last weekend. He finished it after 2 hours declaring it the best cigar he ever had. What I believe he was really saying was..."This is the best stored cigar I ever had!". You see, my other brother-in-law, has an impressive humidor which he neglects to fill up the humidifying sponge from time-to-time. So, when we've had cigars from his humidor, sometimes they were great and sometimes, rancid (as you like to say, Rob!)

This weekend, I plan to give out a Cohiba Siglo II or a Montecristo 4, probably the Cohiba because it has sat in my humidor longer. Then we'll see how good a cigar can be! lol3.gif

From my collection, hmm.

Hoyo Epicure deluxe. At least that's what I grabbed the last 2 times to do just that.

For NC, and in my collection would be my local B&B art show stick. It's a great Nicaraguan, Pepin blend with more cocoa than your average Pepin product.

I don't keep too many NC at home, usually just hit my local shops. If we were there, I would get them a davidoff Colorado Claro short perfecto

For an inexperienced cigar smoker I would give him something on the lighter side I find that a nicely aged HDM Des Dieux is simply a marvelous light medium smoke.

For someone more experienced I might go with a Bolivar Royal Corona or an Upmann Connie A depending upon his preference for either a full bodied or a medium bodied cigar.

For a Cuban, depending on the person's experience with cigars.

For a NC smoker, probably a Bolivar petit corona or a Partagas short. For a person new to cigars, a PL petit corona.

For a good NC cigar:

Fuente Opus X petit lancero or #5

My Father lancero

Davidoff Puro D'oro sublime

For a newbe, perhaps a PLPC (PSP of course). Not a big one. Great flavor. Not intimidating. Or maybe a RASS, dark and oily. The NC would be a Padron 1926 #6 or #9 natural wrapper, not maduro. Can't beat the quality and consistence there.

I think a really good Montecristo is a excellent start into Cubans. A Monte 2 and an Edmundo were my two Cuban starters. Rich, cocoa and cream for me. For an experienced smoker, I've smoked some Grand Edmundos with them to convince them of Cuban goodness. The expressions on their faces is always priceless when they suddenly get what an exceptional cigar really is.

Had succes with hdm epi nr 2 a couple if times, but recently bought two boxes of Reyes from 2010 - find they have the finesse and an appropriate format for a non- smoking newcomer

Could see de dieux or winnies as good options as well, but dont have them in my humidor in the right quality

Being cold and miserable, and not conducive to a larger cigar, last night I gave a buddy of mine a HU half corona - and he loved it - especially the last half.

I'd say that is a good place to start. Nice RG. Draws well. Good strength and body.

The Upmann half corona is a very good choice IMHO.

I'd stay away from Regional, Limited, etc for both CC and NC as they would be too pricey for day to day, so for me it would be .....

Partagas D4

Padron 2000

new to cubans... montecristo #4 i have 2 boxes from rob that are may14? excellent profile.. for someone who smokes frequently i usually dish out bolivars either bbf or liberator depending if i like you haha

• Like 1

the one CC I have now that I would give to a NC smoker would be the RASCC or party short, I've been really enjoying the young boxes I have. For someone completely new to cigars I would go with an HDM epi 2. The first one I ever had had loads of fresh cut grass and clover to start then went all creamy leather to finish.

That said, for a few dollars more, CORO would really hit the mark, everyone needs to try these at least once.

As far as NCs go, any AF hemmingway would be great for anyone and for those who like a more full bodied smoke the garcia family makes a bunch of great ones too, my fav is the my father #5. If you want to spend more go with the Padron family reserve and anniversario series, always great by my experience.

• Like 1

i have always considered a good Montecristo #2 as the benchmark for CC's. just hits that right note of flavors that shows off what cubans have to offer.

The Upmann half corona is a very good choice IMHO.

I must say, I made my choice based on flavour, without consideration for the length of smoke. The H.Upmann Half Corona is another great choice for a short smoke.

I would go with one cigar for both people. The cigar that introduced me and grabbed my attention. A Boli tubo 2 or a PC with a couple years on it.

Oops, read that wrong.

I would give a padron 1926 maduro any size to a cc smoker to try

Edited by topdiesel