Answer this one for me ......

I really don't smoke enough NC's to answer so i leave it to our fine members. The sender has given permission for the post of his e-mail (in part).

Thank you ok.gif

This may be a silly question but i hope you can shed some light for me and my friends.

What Cuban cigar (or cigars) are closest in flavor profile to the best of the Nicaraguan cigars.

From what I've heard though can't speak from personal experience, more have called the RA Allones Extra closer to an NC than just about any other CC.

To me that's a really hard question as I find very little similarity at all between Habanos and Nicaraguans.

While on occasion I've thought an NC to have 'Cubanesque' qualities, I've never though while smoking a Cuban that it had 'Nicaraguanesque' qualities.....

• Like 2

I like NC's and CC's so I will be honest in my answer, not a naysayer for either but....and I mean no disrespect.

IMHO - If you're after a Cuban that tastes close to an NC, why not just enjoy an NC?

I enjoy a CC purely because they have profiles that can not be matched by a Non Cuban and equally, vice versa. This can be argued I know.

I tend to find a lot of NC's have a salty, peppery profile and for me I'd probably say, a VR Unicos can be similar to a Padron 1964 or an Oliva Melanio for the spice factor however a Unicos also tends to evolve more as you progress through it.

• Like 4

Interested to see where this goes as none come mind for myself. It seems to always be asked which NC's have cuban characteristics. Never thought to think of the question the other way around.

I tend to find a lot of NC's have a salty, peppery profile

I find the same from a lot of the NC's I have had. If that is what you enjoy than reach for the NC. However, for me, there really is no substitute, or for that matter, close "relative" of the general cuban profile!

Honestly.... I couldn't offer a good response. I LOVE a handful of NC cigars and for completely different reasons than why I love the CCs.

I will say I find NCs on the spicy/full bodied side more enjoyable and with my CCs a creamy/smooth Monte No. 2 is my top go to....

Different strokes for different smokes

Broad range of flavors on either side of the equation. The PSD4 is my go to answer. Not because it tastes like it has Nicaraguan tobacco in it but because so many NC manufacturers have tried to imitate it.

PSD4 - SPOT ON! Why didn't I think of that ;) Indeed, yes, very similar but again, more the spice

• Like 1

My stash is currently split 50/50 between CC and NC

There is no NC on the market that can be compared (in an Apples and Apples way) to a CC

There are some high quality NCs on the market that offer wonderful and intriguing profiles, but they are not CC like at all

This is not a bad thing, as there are days I feel like something with less finesse (more Mongrel, to use Prez term)

If I was pushed to name one, I would say the BBF can be a little NC-ish at times

Not an NC pro by any measure, but I still enjoy them. I have yet to find one that feels like, smokes like and tastes like a Cuban. I find the NC's more consistent, texturally 'harder' (like paper mache), and more uniform (less complex) throughout the smoke, but I do like them. The NC Punch DC in particular (it's called double corona but it's actually smaller than a Cuban churchill, go figure).

Also, I've haven't yet seen a Cuban with those seriously squared box pressed, chunky looks that the NC's are producing.

Interesting topic.

Fwiw, last week i was watching a 3 hour movie and started with a NC and the moment it nubbed it, i fired up a Party Shorts (cabinet) which tasted as bad as the NC. Surprisingly though i was getting the same NC taste from the Shorts.

very difficult answer.... i like CC (R&J , RA , Cohiba , HUpmann ) also i like NC ( Ashton, Oliva, AF , Padron ) ...

these cigars are totally different if you compare CC vs NC ...

For example you can quite easily compare Oliva V Melanio with Padron 1964 anniv...

but if you compare Oliva V Melanio vs CC... these are just different ... aroma, flavours ( developing... transition )

CC are very specific cigars with distinct aromas ... far far away from what you get from nicaraguan , dominican ,... cigars

Broad range of flavors on either side of the equation. The PSD4 is my go to answer. Not because it tastes like it has Nicaraguan tobacco in it but because so many NC manufacturers have tried to imitate it.

PSD4 - SPOT ON! Why didn't I think of that ;) Indeed, yes, very similar but again, more the spice

I had a Cuban and a Non-Cuban cigar yesterday during the State of Origin broadcast. The first was a Partagas Serie D No.6, the second an Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill (a Honduran/Nicaraguan blend). I surmised that the wood, toasted tobacco and pepper flavours in the PD6 was very much evident in the AB Prensado Churchill, just not as intense!

I smoke and enjoy them both as i like variety.I don't want to be nailed down to one side only.Just like everything else in life.Variety the Spice of Life.

The only brand I have found that was (it is no longer) close in comparison was the La Gloria Cubana,back in the mid-late 90s.

Many times I found the NC La Gloria was like the Cuban ones in flavor and aroma.

Until the blend of these was ruined around 2002,I was never without the Dominican La Glorias,and my supply lasted until 2009 when I smoked my last 1995 LGC Churchill.

At 14 years old it was sublime,easily among the top 5 best cigars I have ever smoked in 40 plus years of enjoying cigars.

Recently a friend sold off his collection of NCs from 95-2000,and there were some LGC among them. I will leave it to you to guess where some of them went..............

Going the other way,the R Allones Extra has considerable non Cuban character................

• Like 1

My stash is currently split 50/50 between CC and NC

There is no NC on the market that can be compared (in an Apples and Apples way) to a CC

There are some high quality NCs on the market that offer wonderful and intriguing profiles, but they are not CC like at all

This is not a bad thing, as there are days I feel like something with less finesse (more Mongrel, to use Prez term)

If I was pushed to name one, I would say the BBF can be a little NC-ish at times

Interesting to see BBF named here. I have only had a handful of NCs and hated most of them, but BBF is one of my favorite CCs.

Dear Rob,

This Is a question that Is very difficult to answer. It Is the same as to what wine comes the closest to a Bordeaux ? A

Bordeaux,I would say. How can you compare what Is not comparable ? In another words,smoke what you like but don't

compare. They all have their difference , but NOTHING comparable for me .wink2.gif

Guy

• Like 1

Like others have said, there are NCs that remind you of Habanos. For Nicaraguan examples, Herrera Esteli and Tatuaje Black both have characteristics reminiscent of CCs. But most Nicaraguans don't taste anything like CCs. They're typically bolder, fuller-bodied and spicier than anything you get out of Cuba. So if someone asks for something similar to Nicaraguans, I assume that's what they're after. I'm not sure there's anything in the Habanos offering that comes anywhere close to replicating that.

I have both. Enjoy both.... That being said.... RA extra 2011 is one of my favourite cigars, but it doesn't taste like NC or Hon. I think the madero wrapper makes ppl think it's similiar. Or maybe the salty peanut taste.

I smoke a lot of oliva, and dabble in others.... I find that the blends are completely different. Like bourbon to rye to scotch. They should all be enjoyed for what they are!

I dont't drink rum because it taste like vodka....and I don't smoke cohiba thinking/hoping it taste like a Padron!

And I'll buy anyone's ramons extra's. Love those. Only 2 left

before finding FoH I spent the last 15 years visiting various B&M shops in the U.S. And would pose this very question (but in reverse) with a bit of desperation and would always get a different recommendation - usually for the most expensive cigars on the shelf- and what was usually suggested (but never satisfied) were Padron, My Father, Davidoff and Liga Privada... None of which came close to a Cuban but had their own positives for what they were.

Those who suggest RA Extra and Upmann 48 are correct, those two Cubans I've personally had experience with and they resembled the closest Cuban to Nicaraguan similarities I'd ever seen in a cigar before. Sadly it was something I didn't want in a Cuban cigar.

But much like everyone else says, if you are looking for something Nicaraguan, smoke Nicaraguan.