Dress Box Aging Question

Searched forum and couldn't find definite answer. How do you store dress boxes for long or short term aging? Box lid cracked or closed tight? Inside paper removed? Also what do you do with the paper adhered to front inside lip of a dress box or wood sheet between cigars and lid? Leave it be, remove it, fold it back? I try and buy cabs when feasible because they are simple for aging, but not all cigars come in cabs. Just curious if there's any consistent practice and what is your reasoning ?

Traditionally, dress boxes or SBN/BN boxes are stored lid closed tight with the nail or brooch clasp. No need to remove or alter anything inside, such as the wax/glassine strips or paper flap (bofeton). Intact factory packaging is adequate for long-term storage.

It's been said that for long-term aging it's preferable to have as little ambient airflow as possible and maximum contact between cigars and why cabinets are believed to be superior for long-term aging.

• Like 3

My dress boxes are stored fully closed with the paper and inserts also included inside, would you need a hell of a lot of space if you wanted to keep each dress box a little open as you would close them again if stacked on top of each other?

I put dress boxes straight into the humi with the lid closed. I don't remove any packaging either. I didn't really think about it before my first box purchase, I just assumed that this is how the cigars have been stored up until now, so it must be ok!

Traditionally, dress boxes or SBN/BN boxes are stored lid closed tight with the nail or brooch clasp. No need to remove or alter anything inside, such as the wax/glassine strips or paper flap (bofeton). Intact factory packaging is adequate for long-term storage.

It's been said that for long-term aging it's preferable to have as little ambient airflow as possible and maximum contact between cigars and why cabinets are believed to be superior for long-term aging.

Sais it.

If lids don't close perfectly, as sometimes there is a gap when cigars expand, or nails are missing etc., I additionally wrap in normal saran, just to restrict air exchange.

The only thing I will do is remove the nail on dress boxes, just because it's a pain to reopen.

Ha, I do that too with a few boxes. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to break the lid in half getting the dang thing opened.

• Like 1

I find I don't really age dress boxes because I can't stand box pressed cigars, I like them round. Although I've got a box of regios that I've aged for a few years and they've kept a nice roundish shape so I'd just store as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think many of us stress way too much about how our boxes are stored. I remember a post wondering if cigars age better if stored feet down as opposed to laid flat!

For me, proper and steady temp and humidity is all I (you) need. Both of those parameters being very unique to each individual's taste.

• Like 4

Ha, I do that too with a few boxes. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to break the lid in half getting the dang thing opened.

Lol yeah.... Me too..... Have to be very gentle

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It must be true that maximum contact between cigars is better for aging. But then why does nobody recommend removing the cedar sheet in dress boxes that sits between the two rows of cigars? It's a quick modification that would immediately improve contact, and therefore improve aging.

It must be true that maximum contact between cigars is better for aging. But then why does nobody recommend removing the cedar sheet in dress boxes that sits between the two rows of cigars? It's a quick modification that would immediately improve contact, and therefore improve aging.

Because not even the best taster in the world could tell the difference.

• Like 4

But then why does nobody recommend removing the cedar sheet in dress boxes that sits between the two rows of cigars? It's a quick modification that would immediately improve contact, and therefore improve aging.

Probably because a loooooong time ago the cuban cigar industry established (or only decided) that contact with spanish cedar was extremely profitable to cigars, and to date no one has demonstrated that this was not true

Because not even the best taster in the world could tell the difference.

Probably because a loooooong time ago the cuban cigar industry established (or only decided) that contact with spanish cedar was extremely profitable to cigars, and to date no one has demonstrated that this was not true

I think you guys missed the point I was making. :)

In this thread, and elsewhere on the board, it is mentioned that cabs are more suited to aging because there is better contact between the cigars. Meanwhile, when asking the same people about dress boxes, they leave the cedar divider inbetween the layers of cigars. To me, these two things contradict each other.

I think you guys missed the point I was making. smile.png

In this thread, and elsewhere on the board, it is mentioned that cabs are more suited to aging because there is better contact between the cigars. Meanwhile, when asking the same people about dress boxes, they leave the cedar divider inbetween the layers of cigars. To me, these two things contradict each other.

Well, I for my part even don’t buy into this „theory“. It is all about restricting air contact.

Give a brief thought to the excellent aging performance of tubos or the old celloed habanos.

In a nutshell – the cigar doesn’t care about who is its neighbour, given the packaging is right and tight.

• Like 1

I understand the question. As Smallclub brought up, cigar-to-cedar may or may not be superior to cigar-to-cigar contact. Somebody at some time decided to go with that for some reason. But keep in mind there's limited cigar-to-cigar contact in dress boxes by nature. Also, dress boxes are ostensibly more porous than cabinets and aren't the ideal method for achieving the best long-term aging results.

Cabinets were designed for long-term aging. Many blends, in fact, were different from DB to cab versions until the early 2000s, presumably to better cater to those who wished to age long-term. RyJ Ex4, Punch Punch, Party Lonsdale and Party Shorts, among others, seemed to all be a bit stronger and more tannic when young for the cab versions.

So the DB format itself doesn't lend itself well to long-term aging, and in that case it may be that it was decided that the cedar divider provided more benefit for cigars in that format.

Where is the contradiction?

If one says that close cigar contact is better for aging, but also advises leaving a cedar sheet between two rows of cigars, this is a contradiction.

What about the contact with cedar being actually better than contact with other cigars (supposition)?

Well that's a separate issue from the point I raised in my post. I am not experienced enough in aging cigars to know which is better. But in my experience with tobacco aging, I agree with Fugu that limiting air-exposure is fundamental, and with having a load of cigars wrapped up in a bunch, there is less surface area exposed by the entire bunch (cigars on the inside should age differently to those on the outside). From observing other posts, I think that the cigar-on-cigar contact is generally considered better for aging than cigar-to-cedar contact. On the other hand, 'better' is a point of view, so if you like your cigars to take on some of the cedar notes, then obviously the cigars should be in close contact with the cedar. I think my personal preference would be not to have my cigars taking on flavour characteristics from anything around them.

Another question raised by the cedar-contact discussion then....if this is the most desirable way to age cigars, then why not manufacture 'ultra high-end' cabinets with cigars individually wrapped in cedar (like the RyJ cedros range). These type of individually wrapped cigars should be the very best suited to aging, and the most desirable type to the 'aging aficionado'.