My Montecristo epiphany?

The best Petit No. 2 ever made! lol3.gif

Always kills me when you get a cigar that makes you realize HSA can still bring it when it wants to...even if by accident.

Can't tell you how many times I've had one or two 94/95s in a box of 89/90s. HSA--man, they just kill me sometimes.

Who knows, 2016 may be the year of the Petit No. 2!

• Like 1

It was the 5 that did it for me, little beauties that they are. I got the full gamut of the classic Montecristo line up of flavours in one little package and became hooked.

4s are good (need to get some more, thinking about it) , 2s are rightly regarded as classic Montecristo (got enough for the moment) but the perla was an absolute revelation and has become my firm favourite.

First pic is epic. Love it.

It took me quite some time to "get" the Monte. I love it now, and it represents a good portion of my cigars. The whole line of 1-5 are in my humidor, and I enjoy them all, when they are on. I have had lackluster boxes, but this line seems to deliver a consistent cigar most of the time.

What an amazing picturesque setting to fire up a Monte. Just beautiful!

Cigar taste seems to be very subjective. Before I got sick and had to quit, I used to smoke the Monte line and Bolivar almost exclusively. I'm happy you had such a wonderful experience with the Petite 2.

I can't wait to break into my first delivery from Rob and Diana! Hope my experience can be close to as good as yours.

I'm really happy for you, Webbo. I'm still waiting for my 'Bolivar Epiphany'. The closest I've come is a Bolivar Tubos No.1, which had a lovely marzipan edge to it and a seconds BBF which had enough cream to neutralise the earthy flavours for me.

A few weeks ago, I was at a get-together when one of the guests was passing around unbanded Bolivar Corona Extras from a 2001 50 Cab. All the other guests were complimenting the owner for how good the cigars were while I was sitting there thinking, "decent cigar, but no flavour!".

I'm really happy for you, Webbo. I'm still waiting for my 'Bolivar Epiphany'. The closest I've come is a Bolivar Tubos No.1, which had a lovely marzipan edge to it and a seconds BBF which had enough cream to neutralise the earthy flavours for me.

Despite the topic detour, I'd like to agree with this. I've had a couple Bolivars that were pleasant enough, but nothing that has come close to knocking my socks off. If I want earth, I'll light up a Nicaraguan. (I don't.) A couple Bolivar boxes remain in the humidor gathering some time, on the off chance they'll evolve -- or my tastes do...

• Like 1

I was lucky to be blown away by my very first No. 2 and never looked back. Of course I have had the off sticks here or there, but from the 2 I have expanded my collection to include the 3, 4, and 5 as well. I feel they all have similar profiles, so the varying sizes let me pick the right stick for the situation.

I haven't tried the petite 2 yet, as the reviews I've heard have been mixed to say the least. With that view I think I would enjoy just about any cigar though!photog.gif

Monte is the marca I'm the deepest into. I like 2, 4 and 5, Edmundo and Petit Edmundo. The first box of cigars I ever purchased was a box of Edmundo's. Monte's have rarely let me down. I'm having an amazing No.4 right now that I received from our host last month.

A few weeks ago, I was at a get-together when one of the guests was passing around unbanded Bolivar Corona Extras from a 2001 50 Cab. All the other guests were complimenting the owner for how good the cigars were while I was sitting there thinking, "decent cigar, but no flavour!".

So funny the differences from box to box and time of day/tastes, my 'Bolivar Epiphany' came from an unbanded Corona Extras from 2001. Still have some left. Thanks for reminding me!

Beautiful scenery, thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

I've had Monte 4's that blow me away and I've had many more that leave me wanting. Sometimes both from the same box!

I recently picked up a box of Petit Edmundos though, and I have to say I'm really impressed. More nutty and creamy with a bit of a darker note than the No. 4. I might be a convert.

1) Cuban cigars have horrible QC and consistency when it comes to construction and blend (from 3 dollar to 100 dollar sticks).

2) Tastes can change

3) All surrounding circumstances can affect your palate.... food, body chemistry, etc

• Like 1

I never liked Monte in the 90s--too vanilla (plain) and not strong enough for me. Back then, strong was not what it is now. A 1994 PSD4 or Boli CE would make your eyes water.

I bought a box of 2001 or 2002 Monte 4 for a friend and I had several from the box. They were total dog poop. Like smoking cardboard. Turned me off of Monte for another several years.

Then, around 2006, I got hold of some Monte Especiales #2. They were outstanding. Finding rich, flavorful cigars between 01-07 wasn't always easy, but the Montes delivered. I started trying some #3s, 4s and 5s again and they too were excellent. I was hooked, and before I knew it, Monte had worked its way into my regular rotation on pure merit. I've been a regular Monte smoker since then. My assessment is that Monte is relatively great. Since 2007, I'd have to say that Monte is right up there near the top as far as overall consistency and quality.

I can't say I've ever had a 100 point Monte. But I also haven't had any 88s I can remember either. Out of almost every box of Monte I've ever had, there' a 94+ pointer in there. The rest are 90-91 at least. Really can't argue with that batting average, and I'll be a loyal Monte customer as long as they stay reliable.

I have yet to have a Monte I didn't like flavour wise. Construction is another story. I think everyone has a cigar or marka that they are waiting to find out what people love about it so much. Mine is the R&J line. I'm yet to find the cherry or anything that is supposedly in the flavour profile. Maybe the secret to enjoying cigars to the fullest is looking at mountains worthy of being on a postcard while you smoke. Too busy to travel right now. I will have improvise. I will adjust my desktop background and report back with my findings shortly.

• Like 1

If you're into Minutos, give the Media Corona a whirl. Pure Monte in a small, short vitola.

I have yet to have a Monte I didn't like flavour wise. Construction is another story. I think everyone has a cigar or marka that they are waiting to find out what people love about it so much. Mine is the R&J line. I'm yet to find the cherry or anything that is supposedly in the flavour profile. Maybe the secret to enjoying cigars to the fullest is looking at mountains worthy of being on a postcard while you smoke. Too busy to travel right now. I will have improvise. I will adjust my desktop background and report back with my findings shortly.

I think RyJ still has some blend consistency issues and has for a long time. I've had quite a few bad RyJs in the last few years--way worse than any Monte. Totally without a rudder, no core, no fruit or cherry. Just...blah. But I have had great RyJs, although very few recently. I was a big RyJ smoker in the 90s, but it hasn't been at that level since then. Ex 4 in the 90s was my favorite cigar but I haven't had one I'd spend my coin on in a long, long time.

Monte, on the other hand, has had a very consistent blend for a decade. It always seems to be there--cocoa bean/mocha/tangy citrus. They just seem to blend them all well, with the No 2 being an exception for me. Never had consistent success with them. 1, 3, 4 and 5 are always solid for me, though.

So while it's not my favorite blend, it's just solid and consistent, which is more than what I can say for many marcas. I know I'm never wasting my money when I buy Montecristo. When I open a box of Montecristo, I feel totally confident that I'm looking at cigars that will deliver, and that goes a long way with me. I'd rather have a good blend that's not my favorite than a bad/off blend in my favorite marca.

I think RyJ still has some blend consistency issues and has for a long time.

Interestingly, I had this very same conversation with Alex Groom, the proprietor of Cuban Cigar Website, when he was in Sydney a few months ago. He had written on his dusky beauties blog how Romeo y Julieta was a premium marca now overtaken by Cohiba and had blend and consistency issues for quite awhile and we chatted about it more in person. The original blog can be found here...

http://duskybeauties.com/romeo-y-julieta-petit-coronas/

Thankfully, there has been a return to form with some quality RyJ in the last year or two available, but not as consistently as in the past.