Day 7 Tasting Series: Yasmel Mareva "Mixed Blend"

El Presidente

so, in conclusion, they know what they're doing when they blend it the "normal"way. I'd be curious to see how the complexity and flavor would be if he increased the ring gauge slightly and added just a bit more ligero to the "normal" blend. Would the smoothness, complexity, creaminess remain, with just some more power?

I waited until the end of this series to comment.

Thank you Rob, for this & other little "experiments" you have tried in order to help all of us learn more about this passion for the leaf we all have.

Nice reviews, & thanks again!

• 9 months later...

Day 7 Yasmel “Double ended Ligero”

Blend: Opening third 100% Ligero. Standard blend second third (1/3 Ligero 1/3 Volado 1/3 Seco). Last third 100% Ligero.

This is the last in our tasting series which I have thoroughly enjoyed putting together. As an exercise it has been fruitful in my continuing quest to know more about the mysteries of the leaf.

Yet gain this is a very attractive Mareva. The rich raw aroma of tobacco and sweet cinnamon stick combined with the slick oily feel give rise to expectation of a significant event. I have come to respect both Yasmel as a roller and the tobacco he used in this series. The leaf is rich, complex and potent.

image5182.jpg

image5183.jpg

image5184.jpg

Construction is perfect. Weight in hand, bunching and roll is spot on. Clipped the cap and there is only sweet clean tobacco.

Fired up the foot to be met by tobacco’s version of Hot English Mustard. The smoke bites and claws the senses with aggressive black pepper. The cigar strikes out in a mix of protest and exclamation. Full bodied powerhouse….wild…out of control. I hold on mentally and physically using sips of water to overcome the pepper and coal intensity. I am being beaten to a pulp by this opening third. Like an out punched boxer I am holding on until the bell rings for some respite in the second third.

The aroma is intense savoury spice and tobacco. Each draw brings thick white smoke accompanied by razor blades on the palate.

image5185.jpg

In the space of a few minutes the body reduces to medium and some sweet notes and licorice core come to my rescue. Such a relief from the previous beating. There is now complexity, breadth of flavour, an ensemble where previously it was only the percussion leading an assault on the senses. In balance this is such a great cigar. Rick, chewy, charry, sweet, peppery, licorice, nougat. The aroma is sweeter as if the wrapper can finally find space to perform. What a difference some balance can make and…..oh no…the pepper is coming back as I enter the final third!!!!!

image5186.jpg

Within minutes I am back in a world of puro pain. I like the intensity and the brashness. The wincing, eye watering spice. Like a moth to a flame I am drawn in. The difference the blend change makes is remarkable. The wrapper has no chance to make a statement with the 100% Ligero. It is overpowered to the extent that its sole role is aesthetic and structural (assist in keeping cigar together). This is the great letdown of the 100% Ligeor blend.

In conclusion….anyone with quality leaf can make a cigar strong simply by jam packing it with Ligero. It will however never be complex.

image5187.jpg

image5190.jpg

• 1 month later...