my new setup

Guys I wanted to share with you my new setup, I couldnt be happier with it! :D

This is the 166 bottle Avanti unit that I was able to secure thanks to a great BOTL and friend. This unit with the proper setup is great temp controlled storage space for your buck. It comes with seemingly a million pull out shelves that allow for flexibility on storage. I have it set at 65 degrees (the highest level) and with 6 pounds of beads spread out into about 8 mesh bags throughout the humidor humidity is a pretty rock solid 65%. It also has 8 built in fans in the back of the unit (you can see one in the last pic) so humidity and temp throughout the unit is consistent.

The wife isnt a fan of this beast being in the living room but hey, I get to eat my breakfast in the morning and admire my modest collection and hey thats whats important :cigar:

I would recommend this unit to anyone who needs temp controlled storage for up to 100 boxes of smokes. Just as an FYI, it doesnt look it but I currently have 71 boxes and cabs in there.

P1000939.jpg

P1000938.jpg

P1000941.jpg

• Like 3

This unit is not thermoelectric and I'll give you some details on the functionality. The reason I went with this unit is because another great BOTL has had this same unit for over a year and has been very happy with it. He has had zero condensation issues.

I followed a complete cycle the other day with my ambient room temp at 76 degrees. It is programmed to turn on at 66 degrees and off again at 63. The unit turned on for just over 5 minutes and remained off for nearly an hour! Humidity intially dropped down to 61% OUTSIDE of any boxes but within 5 minutes was back to 65%. These beads do an amazing job, thats all I can say. Also, I dont have remote sensors but I would bet that having a sensor inside any of the boxes would show a very, very small if any change in humidty. I am very pleased with the consistent conditions of this unit. The one thing I am going to keep an eye on is how often I will have to spray the beads down. If they lose too much humidity too fast I will post that on here as a precaution.

I am posting this as an informational thread and hope that others can benefit in some way.

Very, very nice! Congratulations. Nice to see a good collection of cigars and a nice place to put them.

I have one suggestion though. Please take the wine bottles out! If you have ever seen a corked wine bottle leak, you know why I make the suggestion. You may enjoy wine, but having thousands of dollars of cigars smelling like Cabernet is a really bad thing! -the Pig

• Like 1

Great suggestion Piggy! This is however a comprimise with the Mrs. so perhaps I'll put the wine on the bottom and peek inside on a regular basis just to make sure things are all ok. Oh, and this unit also comes equipped with a charcoal based filter specifically for any foul odors. It sounds like it is designed to protect against that very issue. So far though it hasnt nullified the glorious cedar smell at all.

Does it recover quickly after opening?

Amazingly quick recovery. When I first plugged it in it was probably 81 degrees in my apartment and it got down to 65 within 15 minutes. As for humidity, I am a big believer in a huge amount of beads. You can't go overboard with them! Having 6 pounds spread out on every shelf has kept the humidity dead on even in very humid ambient conditions. As I said earlier my one concern is being able to keep the beads moist. I consider this to be a much better problem to have than being forced to take humidity OUT of the cooler, something I have found to be a giant pain in he ass with previous setups.

Great suggestion Piggy! This is however a comprimise with the Mrs. so perhaps I'll put the wine on the bottom and peek inside on a regular basis just to make sure things are all ok. Oh, and this unit also comes equipped with a charcoal based filter specifically for any foul odors. It sounds like it is designed to protect against that very issue. So far though it hasnt nullified the glorious cedar smell at all.

You know I don't give up easily... Even if it costs you room at the bottom, stand the bottles. 71 boxes... simply not worth the risk my friend. This type of closed environment will potentially ruin your cigars and your beads in as little as a day in the event of a pungent wine spill. When a corked bottle leaked in my wife's cooler it took and enormous time and a ton of baking soda to remove the smell and the was just in the plastic interior.

I am not focused on ruining your marriage... just saving your cigars! -Piggy

• Like 2

You know I don't give up easily... Even if it costs you room at the bottom, stand the bottles. 71 boxes... simply not worth the risk my friend. This type of closed environment will potentially ruin your cigars and your beads in as little as a day in the event of a pungent wine spill. When a corked bottle leaked in my wife's cooler it took and enormous time and a ton of baking soda to remove the smell and the was just in the plastic interior.

I am not focused on ruining your marriage... just saving your cigars! -Piggy

Might be easier and cheaper to buy a smaller wine cooler for the wife

• Like 1

Looks very nice. What's not to love about a nice piece of furniture in the living room?

Steve, I can tell you that Jason will attest to the expletives that arent necessary to write on the forum to describe my wife's opinion on this "piece of furniture". I told her that we will agree to disagree :)

Oh, and Piggy you now have me thinking about that potential vino spill more and more. I'll be sure to drink all the corked bottles first and only replace them with screwtops, which works fine for me considering I love the aussie and kiwi vino.