"Freezador" with cooling and heating

daboose

I’m going down that slippery slope real fast. :lol3: I’ve max’ed out the EdgeStar and can now only expand into the garage where the ambient temperature can be 30*F-95*F.

I’m thinking of going the “freezerdor” route but this project will require a heating source for the colder months here in North Carolina.

Here's the plan for now...

• A two stage temp controller (Ranco)
  • Two heating pads ("Brewer's Edge Space Heater")
  • 17 cu.ft. manual frost freezer
  • RH will be managed with beads
  • Active humidification (only if necessary)
  • Fans will be directed on the evaporator coils (which run through the shelves). This 'fan trick' is successfully used on smaller non-thermoelectrics
  • Storage only for boxes and cabs

The two stage controller will come in handy during the fall and spring; otherwise it will be full bore heat in the winter and cool in the summer.

It's still on the drawing board. Any input is welcomed.

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s be almost a year since but “The Vault” is now operational. It's been up and running for about 2 months. Thanks to everyone for posting their humidor experiences. One thing I learned right off t

I'll proudly hang it on The Vault. Thanks!

Great work. I like the simplicity of your system and I want copy it. I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Here, the temperature can goes up to 120F in summer. My only concern is condensation inside the

Please post your progress. I have an empty freezer that I was interested in converting, and would really like to see how your turns out. I have no real technical input or knowledge no how to go about this, but it sounds like you have a great plan

• 1 year later...

It’s be almost a year since but “The Vault” is now operational. It's been up and running for about 2 months.

Thanks to everyone for posting their humidor experiences. One thing I learned right off the bat ... GET A DATA LOGGER! Thank you Piggy!

The data kept me objective. I have copious amounts of data experimenting with two different thermo-electric wine coolers over the past year. Since each cooler was set up differently and cigars stored in various ways, the data guided me which way to proceed with this project in order to achieve the desired goals for temperature and a steady RH.

As summer approaches, I'll be watching it very closely with my trusty data logger. And of course, the true test is how they smoke...I have not yet been disappointed.

I'll update the attached PDF as the summer ensues. There's a lot of empty space in The Vault. Lisa has been put on notice. :huh:

The_Vault.pdf

(PDF corrected to reflect correct amount of RH beads in a container.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good job, looks cool!!!! Was wondering how much did the whole set-up costs you and how many man hours did you put into building this beauty?

Oh yeah. The cost! :D

The cost per cubic foot of The Vault is less than half of your basic thermo-electric wine cooler and even the Igloo Desktop.

Mind you that I did not employ active electronic RH management but used RH beads in each airtight container. I can open The Vault and RH is not directly disturbed. The temperature recovers very quickly.

The Vault ($56/cu.ft.)

Temp control

Airtight containers (for cigar storage)

RH beads

Wine Cooler, Edgestar 28 bottle ($137/cu.ft)

Temp Control

RH beads

Cigar boxes sealed & stack on wired shelves (beads enclosed)

Wine Cooler, Edgestar 28 bottle ($228/cu.ft)

Temp Control

RH beads

Chasidor custom cedar drawers/shelves

Igloo 40 Quart Cool Chill ($134/cu.ft.)

Temp Control

RH Beads

Cedar

Costs for the The Vault could have been further reduced if a chest type freezer was used instead of an upright.

The heat of the summer is around the corner. More temp/RH data will be posted.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• 2 months later...
It�s be almost a year since but �The Vault� is now operational. It's been up and running for about 2 months.

Thanks to everyone for posting their humidor experiences. One thing I learned right off the bat ... GET A DATA LOGGER! Thank you Piggy!

The data kept me objective. I have copious amounts of data experimenting with two different thermo-electric wine coolers over the past year. Since each cooler was set up differently and cigars stored in various ways, the data guided me which way to proceed with this project in order to achieve the desired goals for temperature and a steady RH.

As summer approaches, I'll be watching it very closely with my trusty data logger. And of course, the true test is how they smoke...I have not yet been disappointed.

I'll update the attached PDF as the summer ensues. There's a lot of empty space in The Vault. Lisa has been put on notice. :yes:

The_Vault.pdf

(PDF corrected to reflect correct amount of RH beads in a container.)

Daboose. How's this running so far? I've got me some high temps to deal with. I've looked into converting a wine cooler and getting custom shelves but it seems all the models that are compatable are not for sale any longer or can't be found here. I downloaded your PDF a while ago and gave it a second look and thought...why not do this?!?

It seems to be a sane solution. Isolate your cigars in a humidified environment and then place them in a cooler one ( a fridge). Anyone else try this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More data!

This round of data is interesting because a power outage was experienced for just over 5 hours; my baby sits in a hot garage! This caused the temperature inside the airtight container to increase from 65°F to 73°F. Observing what the RH did is even more interesting.

Moving the temperature sensor for the external temperature control from the lower section to the middle section proved beneficial.

Thus far the summer heat has not proven to be a challenge for The Vault.

Enjoy!

The_Vault_10JUL2011.pdf

Here’s what happened when I experienced a power outage; temperature goes UP and the RH remained steady. Whew!

post-6250-1310496518.gif

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great project Dennis and some great data. You have demonstrated nicely what I have been advocating for a long time now. Segregation of a cigar's and isolating them from direct exposure to conditioned air is the key to stability.

I have worked a long time flattening cycles in conditioned humidors, but I always keep my cigars in them, in boxes. There is a hugh performance difference from inside and outside those boxes.

Great work mate! Your diploma is in the mail... -LOL

• 1 month later...

Great work.

I like the simplicity of your system and I want copy it. I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Here, the temperature can goes up to 120F in summer.

My only concern is condensation inside the containers. I am not sure but I think the very cold air in the freezer might result in condensation.

Why you use a freezer instead of a refrigerator?

Please keep this thread updated.

• Like 1

Great work.

I like the simplicity of your system and I want copy it. I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Here, the temperature can goes up to 120F in summer.

My only concern is condensation inside the containers. I am not sure but I think the very cold air in the freezer might result in condensation.

Why you use a freezer instead of a refrigerator?

Please keep this thread updated.

Hi Mohammed,

I wouldn't be concerned about condensation inside the airtight containers. I have never had ANY inside the airtight containers. The RH beads will be more than sufficient. Condensation only appears on the outside of the containers after the freezer door is opened which is of no concern. The condensation only happens in the middle of the summer when the dew point is high.

During the heat of the summer (90+F) The Vault runs more often which causes the lower area to be cooler than the upper area. For instance, with my thermostat set at 66F; the upper containers held 65F while the lower area held 61F but the RH held steady; all within Habanos' recommendation and my preference (of course). When the more mild temperatures arrive the temperatures will be more uniform since The Vault cycle less often.

I went with a freezer because I thought it would handle the temperature differential better. Also the layout of this Whirlpool surpassed any available refrigerator on the market; adjustable shelving; airflow; locking door; temperature alarm is easily turned off (very important).

The Vault has been performing great. And if I get the nerve will set up another in the garage where it's 90+F.

Let us know when you start your project.

Thanks!