Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas Extra

ARRV

Smoked one of these on Sat night from an 07 box (i think - box not presently in front of me) from the czar

Opening was pure cuban tobacco. Brun was even and consistent throughout.

However after the first 1/2 inch a wonderful and intense floral flavour hit and - it was really sweet and floral - I am thinking hibiscus for some reason but really cannot describe it completely. This was balanced by leathery undertone of tobacco.

It was actually remarkable to me that such a cigar could provide such flavour and such contrast in flavour.

Unforunately it is the second last one from the box - never got that intense kind of flavour from the others but these have been sitting for a while so maybe the age has done them well.

Smoked one of these on Sat night from an 07 box (i think - box not presently in front of me) from the czar

Opening was pure cuban tobacco. Brun was even and consistent throughout.

However after the first 1/2 inch a wonderful and intense floral flavour hit and - it was really sweet and floral - I am thinking hibiscus for some reason but really cannot describe it completely. This was balanced by leathery undertone of tobacco.

It was actually remarkable to me that such a cigar could provide such flavour and such contrast in flavour.

Unforunately it is the second last one from the box - never got that intense kind of flavour from the others but these have been sitting for a while so maybe the age has done them well.

Thanks for reviewing this one. I also have a box from Czar PAL Nov07. Beautiful looking cigars in the box, nary a variation in colour between them. Thanks Smithy for getting them in stock and choosing the box ;) They have been competent C&Cs like you say but I am yet to get the outstanding one in the box. Looking forward to it though if i can have a similar lucky one!

• 1 month later...

Great review!

Just got a box of these in. The smell is fantastic... strong barnyard. They all have absolutely beautiful dark colorado wrappers. It'll be hard waiting for them to rest a little before diving in. From the looks of them, they're going to be far nicer than anyone has a right to expect at their price level.

Your review (and the reasonable pricing) helped move them up my wish list to a "buy now". Many thanks!

I have to say that some of them are a bit tight, but all in all, they have been a revelation to me. Need to be left in the humi for a good while though.

The box I had purchased were on the tight side as well. Enjoy the profile just wish they would draw better.

This cigar is what won me over to little cigars! Imo it tastes amazing, I have a couple of boxes but will buy 5-10 to let them age, they dont cost much so why not!

WHEN you can get a decent draw, these are little gems!

I find them perfect paired with a bottle of Leffe Blonde.

Hmm...har du haft problem med draget på dina? Box kod?

Jag och grabbarna här i Gävle köpte nog 20 lådor inom loppet av 2-3 månader, Ingen verkar vara trumpinnar i!

E du med på 08bolmers?

Jag och grabbarna här i Gävle köpte nog 20 lådor inom loppet av 2-3 månader, Ingen verkar vara trumpinnar i!

E du med på 08bolmers?

Jag har varit med om 4 lådor av dessa under de senaste två åren och har bara haft 5 eller 10 dåliga cigarrer i alla. Vid sitt pris, de är värda spela.

MY friend and I had one each on Saturday. These were great cigars!!! Considering the price everyone should stock up on these. I have a box from 09 and so far these two had a great draw and one had a tight draw. The flavor on the tight one was still great but the tight draw takes away from expierence.

Jose

Har rökt igenom två lådor LSM DIC 07. Ungefär en tredjedel av dem var tok-tighta. Detta till trots så tycker jag att dem är prisvärda.

E du med på 08bolmers?

Finns reggad där sen några år tillbaka men har valt detta till mitt "hem" då jag har svårt att hinna med flera forum samtidigt.

Bork bork bork! ;)

• 9 months later...

Ordered a box of these for myself tosay, along with a box of the Hoyo Palmas Extra that were suggested in another topic. I figured the box of Dip 2s I ordered needed some cheap companions to ship with. Can't wait to try out these C&Cs.

Ordered a box of these for myself tosay, along with a box of the Hoyo Palmas Extra that were suggested in another topic. I figured the box of Dip 2s I ordered needed some cheap companions to ship with. Can't wait to try out these C&Cs.

Personally,I have both of these as C+C regular smoke,and both are excellent,as mentioned above,the RG can be a bit tight,but they're so cheap.....enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Got both boxes and they both look great for being so cheap. Light wrappers on the Hoyos and dark on the RGs. The Rgs smelled very good and I look forward to checking them out after they get acclimated.

• 2 months later...

I went through a couple boxes of these in the winter that just passed. When it's below -30C I don't want to be standing outside for an hour and I found both the overall flavour and short time it takes to smoke them made it the perfect CC during the coldest months of our winter.

I went through a couple boxes of these in the winter that just passed. When it's below -30C I don't want to be standing outside for an hour and I found both the overall flavour and short time it takes to smoke them made it the perfect CC during the coldest months of our winter.

You are smoking outside in the winter of Ottawa?

You need a man cave stat!

*Oh, man I got a box of these...couldn't pass up the price. You are RIGHT! Such great depth of flavor and aroma! Heavenly, dreamy smoke. The smaller Habana smokes really, REALLY do pack a punch, and have a greater, deeper flavor. Thank you guys for all your reviews and opinions I continue to benefit and become educated from :buddies::daydream:

• 1 year later...

Got both boxes and they both look great for being so cheap. Light wrappers on the Hoyos and dark on the RGs. The Rgs smelled very good and I look forward to checking them out after they get acclimated.

Which did you prefer ?

• 10 months later...

i have to agree with you all.

never would i try some thing like this.

great short smoke.

is it better than a trinidad reyes....no but cheaper.

i say get a box for when time isnt available or you are out with friends who dont smoke. also thr aroma wont turn ppl off.

• 3 weeks later...

*Oh, man I got a box of these...couldn't pass up the price. You are RIGHT! Such great depth of flavor and aroma! Heavenly, dreamy smoke. The smaller Habana smokes really, REALLY do pack a punch, and have a greater, deeper flavor. Thank you guys for all your reviews and opinions I continue to benefit and become educated from :buddies::thumbsup:

could not have said it better...

My wife gave me a box for xmas which are now all gone. This led me to a box of petit coronas which arrived a few weeks back, spicy rich toasted tobacco flavour , so so nice. I have really taken a liking RG cigars of late.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

anybody have experience with recent production of RGPEs? Looking fo pick up a couple of boxes for 3-5 yrs aging so that I have an alternative to PLPs. PLPs are great on their own but variety is the spice of life.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2017 at 9:13 AM, jmg said:

anybody have experience with recent production of RGPEs? Looking fo pick up a couple of boxes for 3-5 yrs aging so that I have an alternative to PLPs. PLPs are great on their own but variety is the spice of life.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I am not sure how well these age with the mixed filler. I have half box left from Jun 2011 and I think they were way more flavorful when they were younger. 

Haven't heard much about these lately, but they generally seem to consistently be less regarded than either the RGPC or RGP. 

Based on my experience with the closest cigar to it--the PL Panetelas--I find it to be much more smokeable fresh than the PLPC or PLMC, and I like them a lot.