Malaysia (KL) Cigar Shops/Lounges

Wanted to contribute a thread for anyone looking for a cigar shop in Kuala Lumpur if they are traveling there. I've found a few spots and want to steer people away from a few bad places. Smoking in KL isn't cheap, prices for a decent cigar start around $20-25 US due to taxes.

1. Davidoff in KLCC - Mostly carries Dominicans but has a small Cuban selection. Unfortunately their humidor is very neglected and on my visit a few weeks ago found most of the cigars to be infested with mold spots on the wrapper. Nothing that couldn't be cleaned off, but the fact that it was sitting out like that for retail purchase was pretty sad.

2. Trinidad in Pavilion Mall - A little bit bigger selection than Davidoff, and a much nicer humidor. Some of the boxes were a little picked over and they were missing my favorite (Royal Coronas) but I would much rather shop here than Davidoff.

3. Havana Club in Concorde Hotel - I would have never thought to look here if I wasn't staying in the hotel but it is the best place I've found. The humidor is nice with a very good selection. They usually have multiple boxes so if one is looking like its mostly leftovers they will open another one for you. They have a lounge with 7 tables and some bar seating. The only downside is because they are a bar they tack on tax+service charges for all the purchases making them 10-15% higher priced than the mall stores. For the quality you are getting its worth paying another few bucks.

Hope this helps someone out, and if anyone else has a good place for cigars in KL please chime in.

The Havana Club is a nice little place, stayed at the hotel last December. Didn't buy anything as I found the prices higher than Rob's. The hotel is in a pretty good location for getting around to see the sights of KL, walking distance to the Petronas Towers.

Wanted to contribute a thread for anyone looking for a cigar shop in Kuala Lumpur if they are traveling there. I've found a few spots and want to steer people away from a few bad places. Smoking in KL isn't cheap, prices for a decent cigar start around $20-25 US due to taxes.

1. Davidoff in KLCC - Mostly carries Dominicans but has a small Cuban selection. Unfortunately their humidor is very neglected and on my visit a few weeks ago found most of the cigars to be infested with mold spots on the wrapper. Nothing that couldn't be cleaned off, but the fact that it was sitting out like that for retail purchase was pretty sad.

2. Trinidad in Pavilion Mall - A little bit bigger selection than Davidoff, and a much nicer humidor. Some of the boxes were a little picked over and they were missing my favorite (Royal Coronas) but I would much rather shop here than Davidoff.

3. Havana Club in Concorde Hotel - I would have never thought to look here if I wasn't staying in the hotel but it is the best place I've found. The humidor is nice with a very good selection. They usually have multiple boxes so if one is looking like its mostly leftovers they will open another one for you. They have a lounge with 7 tables and some bar seating. The only downside is because they are a bar they tack on tax+service charges for all the purchases making them 10-15% higher priced than the mall stores. For the quality you are getting its worth paying another few bucks.

Hope this helps someone out, and if anyone else has a good place for cigars in KL please chime in.

Fantastic good fortune that you posted this; I'm going to be in KL in a few weeks. I'll be sure to let you know what I find.

Fantastic good fortune that you posted this; I'm going to be in KL in a few weeks. I'll be sure to let you know what I find.

Let me know what you find at the airport.........I have a 3 hour transit stop their shortly. :rolleyes:

Hi guys, seeing Arkazon posting on the KL Shops/Lounge. Well since I’m from here so I thought I’d contribute my bit.

Davidoff in JW Marriot KL/KLCC – I used do my lose purchase here, used to buy accessories until I found the online retailers. It’s very pricey

Trinidad – is the official appointed distributor (of what I’m informed by their website), never been to any of the shops as yet. I was told besides the one Pavilion there’s one in Midvalley Gardens and the Westin Hotel. There’s a nice bar at the Westin called the Qba. I’ve never been there so I can’t really comment.

Havana Club – Has to be best in KL downtown area one of the pioneers in the cigar retail in KL. But like Arkazon said extremely pricey, although lounge is nice.

Kamelah Tobacco Shop – It’s a chain, they have several shops in most major malls in KL. It’s very small and very limited range but the price is very reasonable. Please avoid 1 Utama shopping mall, Bandar Utama outlet. The stocks had mould and tobacco beetle, I do go to the one in Empire Gallery in Subang Jaya, this outlet still fairly new and the range is decent enough for me try to some singles.

KLIA Duty Free Shop – I usually do my box purchases here. Personally I don’t think it’s cheap after comparing with the online retailers like Czar. I guess you got to know the price range before deciding. (Trevor, do let me know if it’s actually cheap). Good news is there is Havana Café or pub which has smoking area for cigars so you can have a cigar while waiting for your connecting flight.

In terms of Cigar lounge, the smoking in laws in Malaysia is pretty lax, so you can light up anywhere you want barring indoors (i.e. malls) most restaurants have a specific smoking sections (we smokers are not discriminated here in Malaysia). Here are some of the bars I do recommend for the tourist to KL:-

WIP in Bangsar Shopping Centre – This is a new and hip place in KL, a lot of yuppies. The mall is just renovated and it’s located in an up market part of town. The food here is reasonable and its great for people watching. There are other restaurants in the mall.

Changkat Raja Chulan – The street are full of bars and restaurants which is similar The Rock or the Harbor in Sydney. There 10-20 bars and restaurants here. So you can take your pick, you can do barhopping.

La Bodega in Pavilion Mall – Very popular with the after working crowd. It serves Spanish food such as Tapas.

Sky Bar at Trader’s Hotel – This bar has one of the best views in KL. It overlooks the Twin Towers.

Just a word of warning alcohol here is expensive because we get taxed 100%. Do let me know if you’d like any other info i.e. restaurants for local food.

Zain

Wow didn't expect so many people to be down in Malaysia so quickly.

The duty-free shops in KL and Singapore were both way pricier than the Czar (But I don't have permission for the czar yet, shame). Cohiba boxes were outrageous and what I really wanted was a box of Bolivar Royal Coronas, which they actually had, but wanted about $400 for. I was way too paranoid about customs to risk $400. KL Duty Free shops didn't have singles, the Singapore one did but they were all small garbage sticks. I was in Singapore too late for the Tobacco only DFS shops to see if they had a better selection.

Seconding the very lax smoking laws in Malaysia. So much better than Singapore (In every way unless you absolutely need everyone in the country to be able to speak to you in perfect English).

The last time I was in Changi, the DFS didn't carry much of a range for cigars. I thought the KLIA was better but in terms price and quality i didn't have a benchmark to compare to.

On the cohibas, I assume a lot Malaysian cigar smokers smoke a lot of Cohibas. In most tobacco shops here, i see them carrying at least a quarter of their stocks with cohibas. I just can't be bothered to pay those prices.

• 3 months later...

Don't forget La Casa del Habanos in Mandaring Oriental next to KLCC.

Its a remarkable divan, very very very comfortable and the service is excellent. The cigars are well kept, and the selection is pretty good.

Speak to Harry, the shopkeeper, and tell him Aizuddin sent you. You will get a 15% discount off the cigars there, if you buy 2 or more sticks.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Does anyone know the best places to buy Cigars duty free in KL, preferably somewhere easy to get to?

The reason I ask is that a friend has kindly offered to purchase some duty free cigars for me when he's travel ling to KL in the next couple of weeks.

Also, is there anywhere I could get a rough price list for duty free cigars in KL?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Does anyone know the best places to buy Cigars duty free in KL, preferably somewhere easy to get to?

The reason I ask is that a friend has kindly offered to purchase some duty free cigars for me when he's travel ling to KL in the next couple of weeks.

Also, is there anywhere I could get a rough price list for duty free cigars in KL?

Hei There,

I am a year too late to answer you but what the hell, if you are in Malaysia and want a good deal on singles or boxes go to Cigarslounge in Menara Hap Seng, its opposite The Shangri La hotel and their prices are pretty decent.

My fav cigar chill out would be at Ember shop @ the Curve, this place somewhat has become an institution for cigar and Pipe smokers to gather and share knowledge.

Stay away from the duty free shop in the airport their prices are far more expensive then places mention.

• 6 years later...

This thread needs a bump. @Wilzc over to you to update the latest cool spots as I for one will be down in Sept :)

Concerned with cigar lounges here vs shops as we all buy from the Prez :D

*no f@cks given for resurrecting this thread to all the haters  

Not much of a change!

I usually smoke at:

McDonalds.

Starbucks.

Any bar really. My choices would be Monarchy 61 for their whiskey selection. Mayan Lounge for their interior.

Prices at Bars and Lounges here in KL are exorbitant, if not downright stupid.

The local B&Ms are slightly better, expect around the same prices as London's. These B&M's supply to the bars and lounges so then suddenly the prices don't make sense.

None of the prices at PCC controlled regions make sense really.

If you have the juice though, you won't be too disappointed at the selection @torsion

83ded188-3b0f-401e-88ea-4788b2ec44fc.thumb.jpg.2956353bd4f3cae3985f79bd5b102086.jpg

I've been to KL numerous time with work. I highly recommend cigar malaysia, they have 2 or 3 shops and a website. Massive selection and the best prices i've seen. Hopefully the change of government will bring the prices down somehow!