isla del tesoro - cuban rum. any thoughts?

Ken Gargett

wondering if anyone knows anything about this rum.

i heard from a mate (can't remember if it was hamlet or jose - jose, have tried emailing but if you get this and know anything about it, let me know or if hamlet does) over in cuba many years ago that, like the original cohibas before they became commercially available that there was a rum made for castro that was very rarely given out as diplomatic gifts. i can't quite remember the name but i think it was something like this.

this appeared at an auction here (estimate was $20-$30 but i can tell you i had to pay a lot more than that) and i have seen it on the web at 150 pounds but actually sold out. it is supposedly in an old ceramic decanter and bottled in the 1960's. i do remember my friend (this sounds like that oldie - i can't remember the girl but the wine was chambertin) saying it was absolutely legendary and better than both the edmundo dante and very old santiago, though hard to imagine anything better than it. but extremely rare. it may, of course, be something completely different.

anyone know anything about it?

it should arrive in a week or two so will be able to give a report.

got in touch with the whisky exchange in london, who do more than just whisky. they were very helpful and have only seen it once, a bottle they sold earlier this year. they were not aware of the castro story but didn't discount it. so guess i'm no better off.

have another avenue to try and will let you know if anything.

Hi Ken,

I found this, I hope it will help you a little.

This is all very interesting, please keep us informed on this rum.

http://www.moon.com/destinations/cuba/hava...ca-de-ron-bocoy

post-3705-1285117645.jpg

guy, thanks so much for that. looks like my friend was correct. interesting that it appears that it is still producing.

and as an aside, i had no idea that culebra was the spanish word for snake but it does explain the name for the little trio of partagas cigars (which one mate decided were supposed to be smoked all at once).

much appreciated.

guy, thanks so much for that. looks like my friend was correct. interesting that it appears that it is still producing.

and as an aside, i had no idea that culebra was the spanish word for snake but it does explain the name for the little trio of partagas cigars (which one mate decided were supposed to be smoked all at once).

much appreciated.

ps - that is the photo that keeps popping up.

Your welcomed Ken, This is very interesting indeed but If I read correctly, the rum is not

produced anymore. However nice to see that Villanueva had a house there too.

I never heard about this rum or Bocoy but I did know that Culebra meant snake :D

Incidentally, Bacardi US bought the trademark rights to the brand in 1999, but since 2003, no statement of use has been filed. Interesting.

http://www.trademarkia.com/isla-del-tesoro-75629622.html

I work in the spirits industry, and a lot of times companies will purchase the trademarks of abandoned small batch brands from all over the world [Cuba and Latin America are very popular], only to repackage, rebrand and relaunch 10-20 years after buying the rights.

Incidentally, Bacardi US bought the trademark rights to the brand in 1999, but since 2003, no statement of use has been filed. Interesting.

http://www.trademarkia.com/isla-del-tesoro-75629622.html

I work in the spirits industry, and a lot of times companies will purchase the trademarks of abandoned small batch brands from all over the world [Cuba and Latin America are very popular], only to repackage, rebrand and relaunch 10-20 years after buying the rights.

isn't that interesting. when you say "bought", i suspect you mean simply registered? i cannot imagine that anyone in cuba would sell bacardi anything, as they are so despised there.

i assume that like others have done with famous cigar brands, they have simply grabbed it for use whenever? and if you think about it, 'treasure island' is a great name for a rum.

isn't that interesting. when you say "bought", i suspect you mean simply registered? i cannot imagine that anyone in cuba would sell bacardi anything, as they are so despised there.

i assume that like others have done with famous cigar brands, they have simply grabbed it for use whenever? and if you think about it, 'treasure island' is a great name for a rum.

I think that's what he meant.

• 3 months later...
So Ken, have you tried it yet? How does it compare to other Cuban rums?

it remains unopened. soon.

it also remains hidden as vulture ayala heading around for a vid today and he's been known to raid the good stuff when i am not looking. this would be more than his life is worth.

• 7 months later...

it remains unopened. soon.

it also remains hidden as vulture ayala heading around for a vid today and he's been known to raid the good stuff when i am not looking. this would be more than his life is worth.

Oh Yes, i have mates like that too.Tell them to get a beer and be4 you no it, they are open my makers mark grrrrr.

Nice looking bottle hide it well, would hate to see it on a vid lol

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Isla del Tesoro is a certainly mythical product within the great Cuban rums, let me provide some data on it.

The reserves from which comes this rum, whose production started in 1964/65, are very pre-1959, belong to the collection of rums that the firm Bacardi preserved in what was the ship's aging of its main distillery, in the city of Santiago de Cuba, aging cellar known by the name of Don Pancho, and called the Cathedral of the Cuban light rum for the impressive quality of extra aged rums that there in are preserved until today. This distillery began its work in 1862, year also of the birth of the Cuban light rum, invention of Don Facundo Bacardi and a group of Cuban rum masters.
Isla del Tesoro is a product that was designed exclusively for gifts of high level of the Government, from the year 1964 or 65, date in which the first bottles are made. The product is a rums selection of certainly impressive quality and very advanced age, prior to 1959 as I said, being a blend of rums from great value representing more orthodox and classical school of the Cuban light rum, which Santiago de Cuba is the original cradle.
For 50 years it was a product solely on gift, there was no way to buy it, forming part of the basket of Christmas that the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba, sent to great personalities around the world. Obviously its extraordinary quality, the antiquity of the rums that make up the original mix and the fact that could not be bought, made him a legendary product that was by word of mouth of the privileged few who could consume it, and settled in the ideology of the drinkers of rum, as the reference point when talking about those things with which one dreams , but do not have.
A few years ago the Corporation Cubaron S.A maximum authority of the Cuban light rum industry, decided, obviously with the authorization of the Government of the country, make a very limited commercial production of this product, which was already presented and are available for import and sale in different markets. I have to say that the original aged bases that gave rise to the Isla del Tesoro, were retained in part, which has enabled that production be maintained over time and can now be appreciated by lovers of the Cuban light rum.
Many things have been said about this product, which if was the favourite rum from Fidel Castro, that if he drank it in his office and gave it to the personalities they visited him, if it is superior to the Edmundo Dantes 25 or the great vintage of Santiago de Cuba, there are many anecdotes on this rum, they could write many paragraphs above all what has been said at the level public or private of this product, but I do not think that I should be the person to do that, that is work of the great masters of Cuban light rum when they decide to tell that part of the history of so delicious product.

It has no sense to compare a rum like that with other productions, are different concepts as well as other spirits that have been made in Cuba especially for high level gift of the Cuban State, are the quality of Cuban rum summit, which for more than 150 years is unavoidable when speaking of light rum in the world.
For those interested, I leave a photo of the official image of the product.
I apologize for my mistakes in the English language.
post-21753-0-10240300-1414088031_thumb.j

• 2 years later...
On 9/9/2015 at 9:30 AM, Cubanlightrumandcigars said:

Isla del Tesoro is a certainly mythical product within the great Cuban rums, let me provide some data on it.

The reserves from which comes this rum, whose production started in 1964/65, are very pre-1959, belong to the collection of rums that the firm Bacardi preserved in what was the ship's aging of its main distillery, in the city of Santiago de Cuba, aging cellar known by the name of Don Pancho, and called the Cathedral of the Cuban light rum for the impressive quality of extra aged rums that there in are preserved until today. This distillery began its work in 1862, year also of the birth of the Cuban light rum, invention of Don Facundo Bacardi and a group of Cuban rum masters.

Isla del Tesoro is a product that was designed exclusively for gifts of high level of the Government, from the year 1964 or 65, date in which the first bottles are made. The product is a rums selection of certainly impressive quality and very advanced age, prior to 1959 as I said, being a blend of rums from great value representing more orthodox and classical school of the Cuban light rum, which Santiago de Cuba is the original cradle.

For 50 years it was a product solely on gift, there was no way to buy it, forming part of the basket of Christmas that the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba, sent to great personalities around the world. Obviously its extraordinary quality, the antiquity of the rums that make up the original mix and the fact that could not be bought, made him a legendary product that was by word of mouth of the privileged few who could consume it, and settled in the ideology of the drinkers of rum, as the reference point when talking about those things with which one dreams , but do not have.
A few years ago the Corporation Cubaron S.A maximum authority of the Cuban light rum industry, decided, obviously with the authorization of the Government of the country, make a very limited commercial production of this product, which was already presented and are available for import and sale in different markets. I have to say that the original aged bases that gave rise to the Isla del Tesoro, were retained in part, which has enabled that production be maintained over time and can now be appreciated by lovers of the Cuban light rum.

Many things have been said about this product, which if was the favourite rum from Fidel Castro, that if he drank it in his office and gave it to the personalities they visited him, if it is superior to the Edmundo Dantes 25 or the great vintage of Santiago de Cuba, there are many anecdotes on this rum, they could write many paragraphs above all what has been said at the level public or private of this product, but I do not think that I should be the person to do that, that is work of the great masters of Cuban light rum when they decide to tell that part of the history of so delicious product.

It has no sense to compare a rum like that with other productions, are different concepts as well as other spirits that have been made in Cuba especially for high level gift of the Cuban State, are the quality of Cuban rum summit, which for more than 150 years is unavoidable when speaking of light rum in the world.

For those interested, I leave a photo of the official image of the product.

I apologize for my mistakes in the English language.

post-21753-0-10240300-1414088031_thumb.j

a belated thanks. missed this post first time.

• Like 1