Blind Cigar Tasting Competition Thread......

El Presidente

Petit corona, rough wrapper, firm draw.

First third, stonefruit and mushroom, sautéed.

Second third, crushed ants.

Final third, marshmallow.

That's my call and I'm sticking to it!

Atonal, you forgot "old gym bag" and strawberries!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystery Cigar No. 1

The cigar had a very warm orange wrapper, quite unusual really, almost like a fake tan colour. Loads of green spots on the wrapper too which gave the overall impression that this was some weird alien with acne. Pretty solid to the touch, which made me a little concerned that the draw could be tight.

After lighting imediately receive earth and leather flavours. Very subtle, not overpowering at all, very smooth. Impressive opening. Draw is fine, slightly on the tight side, but a well constructed stick nonetheless.

First third stayed in a similar vein, mouthfulls of mellow earthy smoke, enjoyable.

Second third slightly stronger, darker flavours coming through, possibly dark chocolate, but the ongoing theme of eath and leather continues.

Final third bringing more robustness to the mixture, but nothing really new added.

Overall an enjoyable smoke, which I would give a score of 88 :)

Mystery Cigar No.1

Weather: March 19, 2011. Late evening with a light breeze. Had the heater on for a little extra comfort

Looking at the cigar found a nice colorado wrapper. The cigar was even with no noticeable soft spots. The cold aroma had a smell of dry hay.

Punched the cigar and lit it up for a wonderful experience of the night.

Opening:

Earthy and spicy tastes. Spices would be similiar to cinnamon, or cardoman.

First Third:

Sweet taste, slight chocolate, sweet like some honey. At times it tasted like french vanilla coffee.

Second Third:

coffee taste, slight spice through the nose. Nice aroma off the cigar

Third Third:

Getting more of the first but with a buttery coating. More leather flavor coming through..

Great cigar for the senses. I look forward to reading everyone else's reviews.

PM sent to Prez...

Mystery Cigar (1/3)

Aroma at cold: barnyard and something bit sweet

Construction: silky, smooth colorado claro with one green spot

Opening: from the beginnig taste is very strong and dry, sand and dust with (chili) pepperish tones, kinda punch in the face really

1st 3rd: burns evenly, perfect draw, taste of minerals/salts maybe, definetly ammonium chlorid aftertone and every puff feels cool and silky after the first punch

2nd 3rd: settles down a bit, still ammonium chlorid, some roasted coffee and iodine, earth flavours

3rd 3rd: the earth started to get wet and sand converted to moss, more iodine

Summary: very intensive and strong all the way, noticed some development on the way and growth of complexity towards the end of 2nd 3rd, enjoyable strong pc that I'd rate 85ish

Mystery Cigar (1/3)

Aroma at cold: barnyard and something bit sweet

Construction: silky, smooth colorado claro with one green spot

Opening: from the beginnig taste is very strong and dry, sand and dust with (chili) pepperish tones, kinda punch in the face really

1st 3rd: burns evenly, perfect draw, taste of minerals/salts maybe, definetly ammonium chlorid aftertone and every puff feels cool and silky after the first punch

2nd 3rd: settles down a bit, still ammonium chlorid, some roasted coffee and iodine, earth flavours

3rd 3rd: the earth started to get wet and sand converted to moss, more iodine

Summary: very intensive and strong all the way, noticed some development on the way and growth of complexity towards the end of 2nd 3rd, enjoyable strong pc that I'd rate 85ish

Well this is interesting. In this blind tasting comp, but this is a first post???

Mystery Cigar has a nice colorado wrapper. It is firm all the way through with an open draw. Prelight aroma of cedar and tobacco.

It opens with a strong spice and then settles into a woodsy, meaty flavor. Medium plus start. The draw is a little too open, revealing some charcoal notes. A small tear by the head of the cigar has to be covered to allow flavor development.

Progression through the cigar shows more meat/mushroom flavors. There is a small glimpse of sweetness mixed in here and there, but masked by the bold, heady flavors. Most of the spice subsides. Medium body, but putting out alot of smoke. There is a slight bitterness.

The last third continues with a heightened meaty/grassy flavor with the grass building to the nub.

Overall, an 86. I can venture to tell you what it is not, and am a little confused to what it may be, but I'll take a stab...

Thanks Rob for the challenge!

My first review on the forum (I think)

Mystery Cigar No. 1

It's a monday night, some of the best weather we had this year, 28 degrees with a light breeze. The girlfriend is out of the apartment for the coming 3 days so it's time to fill the void that she's left with some beautiful silky smoke. Tonight it's just me, my cigar and the latest season of Dexter that I've saved up for a night like this.

post-6983-1300763351.jpg

Cigars always look much longer without the band, much be a visual trick, but it's clear this is a petit corona. The wrapper is light in color, fairly dry looking and a little rough. The wrapper smells sweet and the foot has a fruity note to it. I punch the cigar and check the draw, it's perfect! The cigar doesn't look packed at the foot and feels fairly light. Pre-draw gives a light pepper.

1/3 - After lighting the cigar it directly shows a beautiful white ash, something that always excites me in a cigar!

First puff is a dry yet creamy taste that completely coated my mouth. The cigar gives copious amounts of smoke (I don't think I've ever used the word copious in any sentence before.... am I using it right? :P)

There's some sour notes but non that aren't pleasant. The smoke is medium to full-bodied with an extremely rich taste (My mind shoots to a particular brand directly, one I will change my mind on at the end of the cigar)

2/3 - There's some traces of coffee but sadly non of the fruit that I smelled earlier is found. There's no pepper what so ever. I'm really enjoying this cigar!

I have my first sip of the tea I made, the cigar brings out a caramel taste in the tea.

Afterwards the cigar becomes thicker and creamier as it goes along. It dies for a second while I'm watching Dexter but after a quick relight the tastes come back as creamy and coffee-filled as ever.

The cigar has a buttery aspect to it that I really enjoy.

3-3 - A taste of red wine lashes through reminding me of a cigar I had earlier this year. It becomes a little spicy which might be an indication that I'm smoking it too fast. The flavors get a little bitter at the end so I put it down pretty early.

Verdict is an 87 due to it's weak finish. Could've been a 90 based on the first two thirds.

Time: Little over an hour.

I'll send our fearless leader a PM with what I assume is the wrong answer :thinking:

Mystery cigar one

Very mild cigar for my taste. I am smoking first thing in the morning and still a mild smoke. Nice divot under the cap and burned well, just not a cigar for my taste. I had to immediatel follow the cigar with a reyes to get some enjoyment from my morning cigar. In honor of Vans rating system, I give this a 55. Fun doing a blind tasting though and pm sent to Rob. Something tells me that these are not the festival marevas from 00 though.

Took the opportunity to smoke the first cigar last night. I'm not much of a reviewer so here goes:

I didn't really want to smoke this tonight, but wasn't sure if I would be able to get this in before the 31st deadline. Unfortunately I had hoped the package would arrive before I left for my two week vacation, but it didn't. I'm pretty sure the package sat on my desk at work for two weeks until I got back. this definately could have used another two weeks in the humidor before smoking.

Construction - absolutely perfect. I don't think I have seen a Petit Corona made this well in a while.

Draw - very tight.

Opened with some charcol and earthyness. I had hoped that that the draw would open up as it progressed but no dice. Burn was really good with a nice tight ash. The charcol faded into the second third but overall the cigar didnt evolve much. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of charcteristics that would have helped me recognize the cigar better. Just really run of the mill tobacco and earth.

I give it an 83. Probably could have been an 88 if I had left in the humidor for a couple more weeks.

G

Rob, in case no one gets all 3 guesses right, will you be doing, a "closest to correct" wins?

For example, they guess the right brand but wrong specific cigar.

e.g. Possibly - Monte 4 and Monte Petit Tubos are essentially the same cigar, but not really the same since one comes in a tube and one doesnt.

Mystery Cigar #1

Size: Petit Corona

Construction: Pretty good, no hard spots.

Wrapper: Nice and smooth, few veins. Nice light oil sheen.

Aroma at cold: Hint of peppery spice, clean tobacco.

Draw: A little looser than I prefer, but still good.

First 1/3: Clean toasted tobacco dominates, with a hint of spice on the lips. Rare hints of fresh baked cookies poke through and a bit of woodiness; a mild cigar in the beginning. Burn is razor sharp and there are loads of smoke.

Second 1/3: No change. Spice has eased of to nearly nothing. Smoke volume is ridiculous! After every puff, I think an old steam train is passing by. Beginning to wonder if Rob is pranking me.

Last 1/3: It's not an unpleasant cigar. Real easy going, not demanding my attention. No harsh notes even when I'm nubbing it.

Conclusion: I haven't the foggiest. Toasted tobacco dominated all the way through, with little hints of other flavours. I'd give it an 85 as it ticked a lot of boxes, except in the flavour region. I'm guessing that it is a Cuban, but I'm not really sure. :no: Rob, you ain't pranking me, are you?! :D

Here is my review.

If Jamie Oliver is the Naked Chef, i'm the Naked Aficionado!

A heck of a lot of clues in my review, so be sure to watch till the end! (of course, i may be completely wrong so... :no: )

Well smoked mine today. It is -10*c right now so i sat in my work truck & enjoyed this PC.

After first light it did have a really dry taste, hints of cedar, leather and a nutty taste.

1/3 toned down alot dryness went and had a soft pepper and leather taste

2/3 hints of honey , not a strong cigar by any means little bit of cream

3/3 i picked up some light choclate and somewhat earthy notes.

Overall the cigar got a little stonger after 2/3 but I would consider a mild cigar, excellent burn which was very even, only 3 big ashes in total. After taste in my mouth still, rich smoke,but it didn't coat my mouth like some cigars.

Rob, in case no one gets all 3 guesses right, will you be doing, a "closest to correct" wins?

For example, they guess the right brand but wrong specific cigar.

e.g. Possibly - Monte 4 and Monte Petit Tubos are essentially the same cigar, but not really the same since one comes in a tube and one doesnt.

Aiz, I regard the Monte 4 and the MPT as the same cigar. I would't distinguish.

I have little doubt that someone will pick all three cigars. The first one is the most difficult given the number of options in the vitola.

Very interesting to date :unsure:

Can't wait any longer for my cold to go away so here's a review from a sniveling old fart! :angry:

I detected a lovely smell of sweet tobacco from the unlit cigar. I really like the honeyed smell of some cigars...it is a mark of quality tobacco for me. The wrapper was a nice colorado colour and apart from being underfilled at the foot it seemed very well constructed. A good draw after cutting, maybe on the loose side of things. Time to burn tobacco!

It took of with a bang; strong pepper in the nose, harsh ammoniac taste and a dry feeling in the back of the mouth. Strong terpentine-like woody flavours were also there. This kept up for some time and when the cigar calmed down a bit I was met with a nagging chemical tone in the mix that I've felt in some cigar in the past, just couldn't place it at first. Not a flavour I appreciate, mind.

After about an inch a woody sweetness crept in. The burn was perfect, and stayed so until the end. A great effortless draw produced volumes of smoke and although that chemo taste was still slightly present I enjoyed this cigar now. The ash fell gracefully on my chest at this point, always a laugh.

After two inches it was medium full, a touch of earth appeared, the harshness was all gone and everything was creamy and nice for a long while. The chemo taste diminished and disappeared, making the cigar very enjoyable. For the rest of the smoke nothing much happened except for the leathery flavours that kept getting stronger. I put it away when it died on me with an inch left.

It was an interesting smoke that I probably dismally failed to recognize, but I'll send my guess to Rob with thanks for the fun ride!

The overall flavour profile: Toasted dry tobacco with some saltiness. Liqourice. Light white pepper. Slightly creamy. Some spicy moments.

Burning time 1:30. PM sent.

This blind cigar tasting has provided quite the challenge! It has been fun so far. I have just come in from smoking my first of the three cigars, and now it is time to warm up a bit because the breeze today is rather chilly.

Here's a capsule review of the first mystery cigar:

Construction: The wrapper was between colorado claro and colorado in colour, smooth to the touch with a couple of noticeable veins, but nothing to be overly concerned about. The cigar had a decent weight to it and did not feel underfilled. The cap was neatly applied. After cutting the cap with a Palio, closer examination made it clear that both the foot and the head of the cigar looked tidy. A cold draw yielded a somewhat firm draw.

Aroma: The pre-light aroma was predominately tobacco with underlying sweetness. The flavours from a cold draw were tobacco with woody and sweet notes in the background.

First third: The first impression was a good one. A nice toasty tobacco note with some sweetness to it. After a few puffs, a dryness emerged. Think champagne or red wine. As the first third progressed, the sweet notes made me think of something between vanilla and creme brulee. The draw remained a little firm, but the volume of smoke was good.

Second third: No real changes or evolution other than a fleeting saltiness.

Third third: More of the same. This cigar did not really change up in terms of flavour profile for the entire duration and did not stray far from medium. If anything, I'd call it very consistent.

There is a good chance my guess is incorrect, but it was a lot of fun making an attempt at guessing!

Mystery Cigar #1

I was left alone at home and took the advantage to smoke inside on a rather cold end of March day.

I measured the cigar and believe it to be a Mareva.

I think it was a nice looking and well constructed if a little under filled.

Aroma at cold is full of tobacco, leather and sweet hay.

I didn't break it down into thirds.

I found the draw was not as resistant as I would prefer but not a wind tunnel and produced ample smoke.

I would gage this in the medium range at no time approaching full bodied.

My first taste was leather like an old coat with lots of pepper through the nose.

I can remember this taste but can't put my finger on it.

The cigar continued with the leather but added a barnyard hay.

After a while I started to get a little herbal/aromatic taste but with a fuller almost pudding quality to the smoke.

It never loses it's leather, barnyard and pepper base but adds herbal, citrus and a cake quality.

I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke.

I would recommend this to my friends.

I'd give it a solid 89.

Thanks Prez and Lise for the opportunity.

DSS

Ok well I'm gonna try my best at this here review but first thanks Prez for such a great contest.

Construction- Smooth to the touch, minimal veining, reddish hue in color. Nice bunch at the foot. Clean cut of the typical cuban triple cap, nice dimple indentation. Nice weight in the hand very firm throughout with no hardspots.

Aroma- Cold aroma yielded cedar, leather and a woodsy charachter.

Draw- Perfect. Just the right amount of pull. I wish they all could be this good. Flavor of cedar, a little herbal and clean tobacco

Opening- Took to flame beautifully. Med in body, light spice through the nose, very smooth with voluminous smoke.

1/3- Creamy, cedar and white pepper with a nice sweetness on the back end. Med-full in body. The finish really coated the mouth. Burn is perfect. The aroma had hints of vanilla and cedar, very nice. Later in the 1/3 I was getting a more capsicum/cayenne spice mixed with a dark roasted coffee that would have a light acidity to it on the finish. Awesome combo. Just about the end of the 1/3 the body went more med with more cream than spice. Running the smoke by my nose the scent was very vanilla, very nice.

2/3- Still getting some light spice but the flavor has moved to something a little darker. I'm still picking up cream but like earlier, the finish reminds me of a dark roasted coffee with just a tinge of a light acidity on the finish, some may taste this as a metallic finish. The finish has thinned from the 1/3 but it is very clean. Burn is still perfect with a nice dark grey ash. I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Last 3rd- Back up to med-full now and some real mongrel coming through, I love it. Again the flavor has gone back to that dark roasted coffee w/ cayenne spice, awesome. Burn is still perfect, hadn't had a burn like this in a cigar in a long time, just spot on. Towards the last end of the final third the cigar becomes very spicy, I sense an increase in the nicotine kick and my lips are tingling a little. I'm so loving this smoke. Also had the thought of menthol coming through on the finish.

Overall- My first thought is I wish I had another, my second thought is regardless of what this is I'm buying more. It was one of the best cigars I've had this year. I truly nubbed this smoke which I hardly do, I smoked it to about less than an inch and it never got hot or bitter. It was stored in my singles box in my coolerdor for close to a month and maybe that helped with all the variables of burn and draw. Overall I started to give it a 88-89 but with the back end explosion I give it a strong 90-91, for me anyway. Wether right or wrong I can't wait to see what this cigar is just so I can order more. Good luck to all this was fun and can't wait for the other two cigars left.

Mystery Cigar #1

PC/Mareva with a flawless, smooth wrapper. Felt light in weight but a bit stiff on the draw after the clip. Pre-light aromas were light tobacco and flavors were light and grassy.

Lighting up the cigar did not change the light and grassy nor the stiff draw. The first third was sweet and grassy as was the pre-light draw. An overall creaminess was added to the dimension while the grassy gave way to a creamy smoke with a vanilla hint.

The cigar was medium-light in flavor and mild to medium in strength. The end of the second third got a bit spicy but that was most likely do to hot boxing the stick. Slowed down and the final third delivered a measured number of draws that were intensifying in flavor, with the creamy smoke, as the burn went along.

The tight draw had an effect on the flavors and evolution of this cigar. The core that was enjoyed was enough to know there would most likely be many enjoyable smokes in a box.

I was interrupted when I smoked this one. 24 Hours later I'm a bit foggy on the specifics. I thought it was a pretty good cigar that needed a little more time. Medium body. Straight tobacco taste.

Smoked @ Cigar Castle in Tampa

Accompanied w/ Sprite

Graham cracker opening puffs

New leather taste on puffs 3-7, some bitterness and saltiness

Medium in 1/3

Kind of bland, touch of sweetened cardboard with a hint of some heat on the back of the throat at end of 1/3

Minor heat, blandness continue in 2/3

Ash is George Clooney colored, log like in appearance

Little bit of a weird chemical aftertaste…..

Mild-Medium in 2/3

Sticky, chewy flavors starting to appear

Last 1/3 finished with much of the same flavors in the 2/3

Glad I was able to participate in this testing :spotlight:

First Cigar Review:

Nice, sweet-ish aroma at cold, a slight hint of chewy nuttiness.

Green spot on the wrapper leaf but that's neither here nor there.

Quite a firm draw, maybe a little tighter than I like. These have been sitting in my humidor at 65% for a while now.

First third,

Definitely that chewy, nutty flavor coming through

Slight hint of cocoa and cuban earthy flavor.

Second third,

Cocoa has intensified, questioning what I initially thought it was.

Final third,

Cocoa disappeared completely, replaced with a richer earthy flavor, some nuttiness still remaining.

PM Sent, 45% confident :-P