Tobacco Growers: the core of the business

El Presidente

Tobacco Growers: the core of the business

....by Punch Joe

I want to share and acknowledge the passion for the leaf of the great Cuban tobacco growers. Sharing with them is fundamental to anyone who wants to go deeper and deeper in the tobacco business. I wish I could have more time to spend some days at the finca when the harvesting is at its peak. Every time I go there I realize that there´s a lot of things yet to learn. The lessons never seem to end. It´s such a painstaking labor that of nurturing the soil and pampering the plants every year. They teach lessons of patience and kindness and pass their knowledge on to next generations with the love and passion that goes with it. They deserve all the praise and thanks. They make the most every day with the minimum of resources, sad but true. They face problems and solve them out with their own hands. They are men with a great hearts.

San Juan

post-4-1308951208.jpg

Gerardo Medina

post-4-1308951034.jpg

post-4-1308951066.jpg

Armando Padron

post-4-1308951118.jpg

Last May I went to the Robaina farm once again. Now it´s called H.R. (Herederos de Robaina literally Robaina´s heirs) as read on the roof of the curing barn. Coincidentally it is also the Hirochi Robaina´s first letters of his name. I was welcomed by Hirochi himself who showed me some of the best leaves of the season and he insisted on me staying for a lunch together. Of course I did. We had great after meal conversation about different topics of life. But the good news is that Hirochi Robaina will soon fertilize the whole farm with horse manure (aka politician´s ****) and milled peanuts in the next harvest. Although I have never heard of something like this, Hirochi told me it´s the same way his grandfather Alejandro used to do 50 years ago. It sounded so great that I wonder why they stop doing so. It´s bloody good as a natural agent for enriching the soil with nutrients and bio products. He can´t wait to see the results, since he did the same at a lower scale the previous season and he is happy enough with the yield of his high quality wrappers. To prove it, he handed me a fresh rolled cigar out of those cured leaves. Aware of the fact that cigars always taste better the closer they are to where they are produced, I took it right away. I have been hungry for a farm cigar for a while so I set fire to this Robusto and all of a sudden the day seemed far more beautiful to me. This is serious ****, I said. Hirochi was smiling at me like saying: I told you, city boy! The blend is amazing. All the leaves are coming from his plantation as you should be aware that the Robainas also plant sun grown tobacco for their own consumption. The cigar is a Robusto but a little bit longer (maybe 130 mm) dressed with a beautiful silky yet thin wrapper. This animal was burning like a volcano, tasty and very aromatic, but too strong for me. It´s what we sometimes call it a wild horse. Flavorful, aromatic, dense, full bodied…so I guessed his intentions were aimed to make me sweat like a pig indeed. It´s an impressive cigar, powered with a strong blend but crying for some resting as well. I had to put it down for the sake of my lungs. J

Sorry I have no pictures since I forgot the camera but if you ever go there, ask him to bring in the Robusto alias Padrino. (Godfather) and you will have one worthy experience. Now they should be just fine, not the young wild horse I tried. I´m sure his grandpa should be proud. Everything that I learned about tobacco is because I listened to every word coming from those great men on the field. To them I am most indebted.

San Luis Wrappers

post-4-1308951325.jpg

San Juan Sun Grown

post-4-1308951457.jpg

This really is truly wonderful stuff! I've been seeking out information and videos on youtube etc that will help educate on the processess and traditions by which our cigars arrive through our doors for a while now.Reading this and learning all the while can only enhance the smoking experience IMHO.Excellent stuff,thank you.