So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

5 hours ago, robertsccr5 said:

I'm not sure how liquor distribution to Australia works, but if it's anything like the US, you'll see more soon. About two years ago Sazerac Rye was near impossible to come by and now it's everywhere and for about $25-30 a bottle too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Some stock is harder to source than others. My next acquisition I'm working on, Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon, is currently not available in most major liquor retailers where I live, for example. However,  I'll find a way to acquire it!

• Like 1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Some stock is harder to source than others. My next acquisition I'm working on, Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon, is currently not available in most major liquor retailers where I live, for example. However,  I'll find a way to acquire it!

@JohnS, I happen to have a bottle of the OESO single-barrel cask-strength in my cabinet. I dare say it will find a way into my luggage in a few weeks for the late March/early April business trip to Sydney-town... :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, planetary said:

@JohnS, I happen to have a bottle of the OESO single-barrel cask-strength in my cabinet. I dare say it will find a way into my luggage in a few weeks for the late March/early April business trip to Sydney-town... :) 

Well, (my and) our dear friend @planetary, shall we celebrate such an occasion with some fine Cohiba? I think we shall! :buddies:

• Like 2

On 24/02/2017 at 9:42 PM, JohnS said:

Finally available at the major liquor retailer in Australia, Dan Murphy's (no, not the baseballer and only in very limited qualities...as in, six per store!), so I had to get this while on offer. What can I say? I love Rye Whiskey!

2017-02-20 23.27.37.jpg

john, i did see four roses advertised somewhere here a while ago but i can't recall, i'm sorry. checked the sazarac out at dan's site - $130. too depressing after hering it go for $25 to $30 offshore.

On 05/02/2017 at 6:33 PM, sengjc said:

Attended a Yarra Yering wine tasting today at the local wine shop with some mates and decided to go at it as a group for better discounts - can't say no to healthy discounts.

19777bf382ec3e752568472c8ffa2b84.jpg

Got me:
- a couple of bottles of the 2012 Henschke Marble Angle
- a couple of bottles of the 2014 Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 1
- a bottle of nicely aged Rioja

sarah crowe, who was doing a great job at brokenwood, has taken over the winemaking at yarra yering. she is a superstar. not seen much but it seems the wines will be better than ever.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2017 at 8:55 PM, Fuzz said:

Oh great. Now I gotta fight you too for what is left out there? :P

Such a pity Ben Glaetzer never made any more after the 2004 vintage. It was around the time they were re-branding, and I guess it didn't fit with the rest of the range.

fuzz, i'm a little bit lost here.

back pre 04, it would mostly have been colin glaetzer making the wines (for those outside australia, he is the twin brother of john glaetzer who made the wolf blass wines for decades - the two of them literally have their own language. they sit and chat in high speed gibberish. no one else can understand a word but the two of them follow perfectly). Ben would have been assisting i assume. but Ben has had his own label for ages. just to be confusing, it is 'Glaetzer' (i think the other might go under 'Glaetzer family winemaking', but i do not know the corporate structure and it might be all Ben now).

Ben makes fantastic Barossa wines - amon-ra, annapurna, wallace, bishop etc. get on 'em.

44 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Do you like rye? That last barrel is a blast of bitterness. It gets gentler with time, but...

Love it....Very low rye content also.....read about it below the review

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/jp-wisers-last-barrels-45.html

4 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

fuzz, i'm a little bit lost here.

back pre 04, it would mostly have been colin glaetzer making the wines (for those outside australia, he is the twin brother of john glaetzer who made the wolf blass wines for decades - the two of them literally have their own language. they sit and chat in high speed gibberish. no one else can understand a word but the two of them follow perfectly). Ben would have been assisting i assume. but Ben has had his own label for ages. just to be confusing, it is 'Glaetzer' (i think the other might go under 'Glaetzer family winemaking', but i do not know the corporate structure and it might be all Ben now).

Ben makes fantastic Barossa wines - amon-ra, annapurna, wallace, bishop etc. get on 'em.

I was told back then that it was Ben who made this particular wine.

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

could have been but i'll bet back then colin was till keeping a close eye. but my point was more that there are plenty of great wines around today made by Ben.

Quite agree with that. Ben does make fantastic wines. I've got a case of the Bishop and a few bottles of Anaperenna.

Just went downstairs to take a pic of the back label of the Glaetzer Shiraz. You are right, Colin did have a hand in it (made by both Colin and Ben).

20170226_152103.jpg

On 25/02/2017 at 6:42 AM, puro said:

Finally got some !! 65305e2a9b35e655f3af62b1bd659dbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone able to expand on the difference between the standard "Japanese Harmony" and the "Japanese Harmony Master's Select" that can be found in duty-free?

8 hours ago, Smoking Ninja said:

Nikka red, black, Chichibu The Peat 2016, 5 Yamazaki LE 2016, 3 Date, Hakushu 12, Nikka Coffey Malt, The Nikka 12, Nikka Taketsuru, Talisker 18, Hibiki 21, Hibiki 17, Yamazaki 18...  I know I went crazy....

No...you hit the jackpot! Congratulations on those finds! :clap: