So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

2 hours ago, Lant63 said:

Initially it's a bit strong in the peat department almost overpoweringly so. But, I let it sit for about 20-30 min and the ice (I know, very shameful) helped open it up a lot. I thought it was fabulous. Such a wide range of flavors, and at the duty free price well worth it.

I have recently started drinking peated scotch a lot more. I demolished a bottle of ardbeg ten, and I really enjoy caol Ila 12 too. Now I am looking for more peated scotch to try. I think lag 12 & 8 as well as ardbeg uigeadial will be my next purchases.

Any recommendations? I'm even interested in independent bottlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all peat is equal. Some is briny and thin (Talisker) Some is smoked wood and a bit bitter (Bomwore) some is bacon (Lagavulin), some is in the background and difficult to detect (Highland Park)  some is very medicinal (Laphroaig), some is married very uniquely with sherry sweetness (Bunnahabhain) and some is just peat (Bruichladdich and Ardbeg).

I am a fan of it all, except I haven't found a Bruichladdich that I like yet. I have found that peat is something that takes time, but eventually, it is a taste and smell that many whisky lovers crave every once in a while (or more often).

As for the various ages of the Lagavulin, they all taste very similar with only slight degrees of variation. Some are a touch sweeter, others a bit harsher, some have more burn others less...but the taste...the general flavours are all similar imo.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Not all peat is equal. Some is briny and thin (Talisker) Some is smoked wood and a bit bitter (Bomwore) some is bacon (Lagavulin), some is in the background and difficult to detect (Highland Park)  some is very medicinal (Laphroaig), some is married very uniquely with sherry sweetness (Bunnahabhain) and some is just peat (Bruichladdich and Ardbeg).

I am a fan of it all, except I haven't found a Bruichladdich that I like yet. I have found that peat is something that takes time, but eventually, it is a taste and smell that many whisky lovers crave every once in a while (or more often).

As for the various ages of the Lagavulin, they all taste very similar with only slight degrees of variation. Some are a touch sweeter, others a bit harsher, some have more burn others less...but the taste...the general flavours are all similar imo.

Great feedback. Now that you say that I think I recognize the differences a little better. Bowmore was my least favorite islay thus far. Is there a Bunnahabhain you especially recommend? I need to try this distillery too.

Also, what are your thoughts on octomore?

7 hours ago, Lant63 said:

Great feedback. Now that you say that I think I recognize the differences a little better. Bowmore was my least favorite islay thus far. Is there a Bunnahabhain you especially recommend? I need to try this distillery too.

Also, what are your thoughts on octomore?

Havent tried any of the octomores in enough quantity to say, but I didn't like the 2 or 3 drams I tried a few years back. Just peat for peats sake imo. 

Bunnahabhain Ceobanach is incredible. Toiteach is good too, but a bit "chemically". Both are limited,  but not pricey although maybe a bit tough to find.

• Like 1

A selection of Australian red wine and an odd bottle of whisky:

7c1574359ff9762fb068e40a6927ff1b.jpg
- a couple of magnums of the 2001 Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz

9618eaa0238243c7b773ada2e1812612.jpg
- a couple of magnums of the 2004 Barossa Old Vine Company Shiraz

21a7d1a065236a5c84e916ac0ef2d073.jpg
- a magnum of the 2001 Red Edge Cabernet Sauvignon
- a magnum of the 2006 Mr Riggs Shiraz
- another magnum of the 2002 Howard Park Cabernet Sauvignon
- an older duty free imperial quart bottling of the classic Glenmorangie 10 Year Old

7adb920993e992e48705232ad9b01b44.jpg
- a couple of bottles of the 2007 Balnaves the Tally Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- another couple of bottles of the 2010 Mitolo Serpico Cabernet Sauvignon

1b0df4f37131f0d815591aef263e2cdc.jpg
- a bottle of the 1999 Cape Mentelle Shiraz
- a couple of bottles of the 2010 Kilikanoon Miracle Hill Shiraz
- three bottles of the 2004 Henry's Drive Reserve Shiraz

• Like 3

We do share some similar taste in wines. I've picked up a few magnums of the Fox Creek Reserve recently. Grab two bottles of GB Meshach for a steal the other day.

• Like 1

We do share some similar taste in wines. I've picked up a few magnums of the Fox Creek Reserve recently. Grab two bottles of GB Meshach for a steal the other day.

Let me give you a tip then: avoid the 2008 R. Wine... that is all. :D
  • Like 1

On ‎22‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 9:02 AM, sengjc said:

And now for something more sensible, a couple of bottles of the recently released 2015 Te Mata Estate Coleraine - these will be for the long haul.

9b690c07024009cee9ec7367c1d824b8.jpg

Have you tried other vintages from this one?

regards

Lars

1 minute ago, in0gravity said:

regards

Lars

i've seen, if not all, pretty close. terrific wine. very hard to go wrong. ages well. they can be a smidge variable on occasion but in general terrific wine.

i have this one ready to try shortly. so be keen to hear what you think if you do weaken and have one soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

i've seen, if not all, pretty close. terrific wine. very hard to go wrong. ages well. they can be a smidge variable on occasion but in general terrific wine.

i have this one ready to try shortly. so be keen to hear what you think if you do weaken and have one soon.

Thanks Ken,

my dealer has the 2014 vintage and have been thinking about it for quite some time now. I guess I have to give in :D.

What is your opinion on Elephant Hill?

regards

Lars

48 minutes ago, in0gravity said:

Thanks Ken,

my dealer has the 2014 vintage and have been thinking about it for quite some time now. I guess I have to give in :D.

What is your opinion on Elephant Hill?

regards

Lars

not familiar enough with them to give a worthwhile opinion.

regards

Lars

Nope but the Coleraine is apparently a quite decorated wine. Thus I wanted to get a couple of bottles to try - expanding my horizons a little and seeing what's available beyond Australian/French wine.

10 hours ago, sengjc said:

Nope but the Coleraine is apparently a quite decorated wine. Thus I wanted to get a couple of bottles to try - expanding my horizons a little and seeing what's available beyond Australian/French wine.

Thanks, same here. I am also expanding my horizon a bit and trying various wines outside my usual. Currently into reds out of Argentinia and loved the Le Phant from Elephant Hill out of New Zealand.

regards

Lars

• Like 1

Thanks, same here. I am also expaning my horizon a bit and trying various wines outside my usual. Currently into reds out of Argentinia and loved the Le Phant from Elephant Hill out of New Zealand.

regards

Lars

Do you like pinot? I have tried the 2010 Rockburn Pinot recently and liked that. Also a few others from the past 1998 Fromm La Strada.

Looking to try a few other NZ pinots: Kusuda is a name that seems to come up as far as NZ Pinot goes.

14 minutes ago, sengjc said:

Do you like pinot? I have tried the 2010 Rockburn Pinot recently and liked that. Also a few others from the past 1998 Fromm La Strada.

Looking to try a few other NZ pinots: Kusuda is a name that seems to come up as far as NZ Pinot goes.

I do like pinot. But so far had not the chance to try anything other than pinot from Germany or France. Will look up your suggestions to see if they are available in my corner of the world.

regards

Lars

3 hours ago, sengjc said:

kusuda makes really brilliant pinot, and an amazing story behind it. but very limited production and very hard to get hold of. in australia, the guys at prince bring it in and there is a long waiting list, but no one is giving up their spot on the list!

bell hill is another and perhaps even harder to get.

you will have more chance with felton road and ata rangi, and both make brilliant pinot. as do plenty of others.

• Like 1

Funny seeing all the Australian wine picks.  In the US, it would be a bunch of CA Cabs...  Australian's would get a kick out of those I suppose.  We get many of the wines shown from Australia, but they are kind of rare. 

• Like 1

Funny seeing all the Australian wine picks.  In the US, it would be a bunch of CA Cabs...  Australian's would get a kick out of those I suppose.  We get many of the wines shown from Australia, but they are kind of rare. 

I suppose the reverse is true - many American wines are rare or very expensive here in Australia.