Dry Age "Cheating" on your steaks. Get the same great Steakhouse taste and texture at home

brazoseagle

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy, I know it is cliche, but being from Texas, I consider myself an expert in the areas of all things grilling and BBQ'ing (smoking). I've been grilling and cooking since I've been a teenager, le

Yes, made it 31 days and the finale was epic My father, brother and I basically grunted like cavemen eating these. My wife was a bit nervous about the aging then starting taking a couple bites

Nice thread, I got a 7 bone ribeye at 22 days as we speak. First time for me. Can't wait to eat her:)

Fantastic post... and I agree with you 100% on all points. In fact, I just had quite possibly the best steak of my life at LGs Prime Steakhouse in Palm Springs CA. I've had their bone-in ribeye many time and they've always been fantastic. But for some reason, the one I had last weekend was like biting into a slice of heaven. No good way to explain it. It was just the best on all accounts. So good that I had to take a picture... Enjoy. :hungry:

post-5544-0-08112900-1313000670.jpg

This is almost exactly as I would advise as well with a couple of variations. Instead of olive oil I prefer to use rendered beef tallow and I always prefer pastured 100% grass fed cows. Thanks for jotting this down, very helpful!

Awesome read. I like to grill, but have never done a good steak.

Out of curiosity, what does it mean to "tent" a steak?

Tenting refers to when you cover the steak or any meat with foil but raising the center to form a peak or apex. This will keep the steak warm, but decrease how much it will continue to cook, but also you don't want the foil touching the steak.

Fantastic post... and I agree with you 100% on all points. In fact, I just had quite possibly the best steak of my life at LGs Prime Steakhouse in Palm Springs CA. I've had their bone-in ribeye many time and they've always been fantastic. But for some reason, the one I had last weekend was like biting into a slice of heaven. No good way to explain it. It was just the best on all accounts. So good that I had to take a picture... Enjoy. :hungry:

post-5544-0-08112900-1313000670.jpg

NICE!!!

This is almost exactly as I would advise as well with a couple of variations. Instead of olive oil I prefer to use rendered beef tallow and I always prefer pastured 100% grass fed cows. Thanks for jotting this down, very helpful!

Yeah, rendered beef fat is always good to use, I've made fries in nothing but Beef fat before.

If I really wanted to dedicate the time I would clarify enough butter to fill a deep pot and before taking the steaks off, jsut dunk them in the butter/herb mixture, and put them back on the grill a little longer.

I grill lobster tails over mesquite wood sometimes and I make a small bucket of clarified butter, white wine and herbs, and dunk the lobsters in it before , during and after grilling !!!!

Damn, Brazoseagle! You just ruined my afternoon. That's all I'm going to be able to think about the rest of the day.

Seriously, though, thanks for the info.

Let me know how it turns out whenever you give it a try!!!

Nice...my mouth is watering. Thanks for the tips...can't wait to give it a go over the weekend.

Nice to see someone other than me has dedicated this much time to a steak. Excellent read! If you have never tried this give it a shot. I guess texan's can cook stuff besides brisket huh?

Awesome! I also agree with everything here. The only thing I do different is I get a larger (5 plus pound) piece of meat (usually NY strip) and "dry age" on a raised rack in the fridge for 7-10 days. Then trim off the really dried bits and cut nice thick steaks. I had never considered seasoning a day in advance so next time I will slice a day early and then season. Thanks!

I'll do the same thing with a full side of ribeyes! I'll cut steaks about 2 inches thick. Grill half and slow smoke the others over a mixture of mesquite, pecan and peach woods!

• 1 month later...

Fantastic. Finally tracked down some Prime bone-in ribeye... 4 steaks, 8 pounds. Followed the steps above (although shortened to 36 hours due to scheduling issues). Wow, what a difference. I've always grilled a good steak, but this thing was off the charts. I owe you one Brazos.

post-5544-0-57454700-1316406394.jpg

post-5544-0-74400100-1316406413.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic. Finally tracked down some Prime bone-in ribeye... 4 steaks, 8 pounds. Followed the steps above (although shortened to 36 hours due to scheduling issues). Wow, what a difference. I've always grilled a good steak, but this thing was off the charts. I owe you one Brazos.

That's what I'm talking about. Glorious!

This was my latest masterpiece, The juiciest and most flavorful steak I have made to date! You can see clearly in the picture the glorious glistening meat juiciness just oozing out. This fine steak was not treated with any oil or butter after the cooking. Just pure beefy steak juice, that's what that is!!!!! I think I just had a meat seizure. This is being enjoyed with several Heineken's, (always in a can, unless it's draft), a bottle of Rapture Cabernet (Michael David Winery) and some whole garlic clove sourdough bread, soaking up all the juices!....I chose a purist route this time, no veggies nothing to get in the way , just an 18 oz. Prime Texas Ribeye!

post-8544-0-19749100-1316529223.jpg

I'll take 4 of those steaks cooked medium rare and a 12 pack of Heinekens....thank you! Please PM me and I'll send you my address for delivery.... :hungry:;)

I cook steaks for you all the time you ding dong!