Dry Age "Cheating" on your steaks. Get the same great Steakhouse taste and texture at home

brazoseagle

Did anyone ever hear from David (Brazoseagle) recently? I know he went through a pretty rough patch a while back - hope he got through it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy, I know it is cliche, but being from Texas, I consider myself an expert in the areas of all things grilling and BBQ'ing (smoking). I've been grilling and cooking since I've been a teenager, le

Yes, made it 31 days and the finale was epic My father, brother and I basically grunted like cavemen eating these. My wife was a bit nervous about the aging then starting taking a couple bites

Nice thread, I got a 7 bone ribeye at 22 days as we speak. First time for me. Can't wait to eat her:)

Try cooking these steaks on a gas griddle and you will never let a flame get close to a steak again. I have a built in wolf griddle at home and a larger version of the  below when hunting. it seers perfectly when you put a slight layer of cooking oil on the griddle  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Gourmet-22-in-Table-Top-2-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Griddle-Top-PD1201/303878625?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sbWZvSA2S|dm_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_176895000905_pkw__pmt__product_303878625_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7sTwp8K22wIVBQ9pCh0mXwiJEAQYAyABEgJ6rPD_BwE&dclid=CJW19arCttsCFUGKaQod7rADFA

• 2 months later...

Applied the OP dry cheating method several times this year. I do pat dry, in fridge for 24 hours, flip then another 24, season and another 24. So 72 hours total, that’s my minimum I don’t notice a  material difference if you go longer as long as you hit at least 72 hours.

*Results... 

Phenomenal - Rib Cap (outer portion of ribeye]

Outstanding - Rib Eye; Filet Mignon, NY Strip

Very Good - Hanger Steak

Not Worth It - Hamburgers

I cook all my steaks to rare and I think you really begin to lose the optimal dry ageing effect very quickly as you cook the steak longer than that. 

This dry ageing cheat is the best cooking prep advice I’ve gotten in 20 years!

*NOTE: In the USA, we have three grades of beef for human consumption: Prime, Choice and Select. All other terms are marketing bullshit. Everything I cooked above was CHOICE except Rib Cap which was PRIME. All purchased from Costco except burgers.

I keep hearing about Costco is supposed to have excellent quality meat - this is the first I've heard that they carry Prime grade. Still, I am blessed with a great butcher nearby, so I may never go and see for myself. Stock grades fluctuate based upon the available cows, but prices are phenomenal as is quality.

• 2 months later...

This thread is excellent. Thanks for @brazoseagle taking the time to put this together. I consider myself to be a fairly competent ribeye chef, but picked up a few things here. 

+1 on finding great Prime ribeye at Costco. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found this recipe works the best with ribeyes and New York strip steaks. I have also used this recipe on filet mignon, hanger steak, and skirt steak and I really don’t believe that any of those cuts do very well with the dry aging. But the ribeyes are outstanding and the New York strip steaks are by far the best that I’ve ever had using this method.

• 8 months later...