Dry Age "Cheating" on your steaks. Get the same great Steakhouse taste and texture at home

brazoseagle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy, I know it is cliche, but being from Texas, I consider myself an expert in the areas of all things grilling and BBQ'ing (smoking). I've been grilling and cooking since I've been a teenager, le

Yes, made it 31 days and the finale was epic My father, brother and I basically grunted like cavemen eating these. My wife was a bit nervous about the aging then starting taking a couple bites

Nice thread, I got a 7 bone ribeye at 22 days as we speak. First time for me. Can't wait to eat her:)

No real review here, just my usual meatscspe. I decided to do a strip instead of ribeye, (won't do that again). Nothing is better than a Ribeye. I apologize for the amount of vegetables! I also threw one of my homemade brawts on the pit too. Finished up with some cocktails and the best ERDM CS I've ever had. Buttery, smooth and creamy.

Cigar 95/100

post-8544-13356759941018.jpg

post-8544-13356760076307.jpg

post-8544-13356760275651.jpg

post-8544-13356760465816.jpg

post-8544-13356760591387.jpg

post-8544-13356760725191.jpg

post-8544-13356760916552.jpg

• Like 1

Mmmmmmmm, Beef Ribs! Cross-Cut & Vertical Cut!!! Meat Lollipops.

Beer, Big Red, Beef, Beans & Baseball, what else do you need?

post-8544-1335754587876.jpg

post-8544-13357546008336.jpg

post-8544-13357546141837.jpg

post-8544-13357546293269.jpg

post-8544-13357546471082.jpg

post-8544-13357546638788.jpg

Ok, so it's not grilling but it's 140 lbs. going down tomorrow. Purging right now. post-8544-13360207576431.jpg

Ok, so it's not grilling but it's 140 lbs. going down tomorrow. Purging right now. post-8544-13360207576431.jpg

Dayum...you must be planning one hell of a get-together.

I'm embarrassed but..... Whatever. "When in Rome, bang a Trojan!"

post-8544-13367157336929.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Brazo love your work! Easily one of my fave threads on this forum. love that meat...errr.... steak p0rn :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Brazos, hi from oz! I followed your detailed instructions and my family ate the best home cooked steaks we have ever had tonight. Thankyou for your wisdom. Next time I need to cut down a little on the pepper and be more heavy with the salt, but this is all part of the process. Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Brazos, hi from oz! I followed your detailed instructions and my family ate the best home cooked steaks we have ever had tonight. Thankyou for your wisdom. Next time I need to cut down a little on the pepper and be more heavy with the salt, but this is all part of the process. Cheers!

Awesome!!!!!!!

While I'm on Steak Hiatus for a while, it's up to all of you to continue on the Meatscape Journey and post your own Steaksperiences in this thread so I can live vicariously through you. I'll leave you with this.

post-8544-13484686599156.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tend to get good steaks from Costco. I usually take the steaks out 4-6 hours before I'm ready to grill (use a Vermont Castings gas grill which has lasted 13 years, best grill out there). My rub consists of kosher salt, black pepper, dash of cayenne, and garlic powder. Right before putting the steaks on the grill, I douze a paper towel with virgin olive oil and pat the steak with the seasoning already on it. End up with a great steak that cost me about $10-$12 (and would normally cost $30-$40 in a restaurant).

I have a question for the OP. What is your take on trimming fat (I'm sure it depends on the cut). I end up not eating excess fat on the edges anyway, so should you leave it on? Does it add flavor? Thanks.

Try the dry ageing with some great Ribeye steak, works a dream,love your work Brazoeagle!

keep it going mate.

Awesome!

I tend to get good steaks from Costco. I usually take the steaks out 4-6 hours before I'm ready to grill (use a Vermont Castings gas grill which has lasted 13 years, best grill out there). My rub consists of kosher salt, black pepper, dash of cayenne, and garlic powder. Right before putting the steaks on the grill, I douze a paper towel with virgin olive oil and pat the steak with the seasoning already on it. End up with a great steak that cost me about $10-$12 (and would normally cost $30-$40 in a restaurant).

I have a question for the OP. What is your take on trimming fat (I'm sure it depends on the cut). I end up not eating excess fat on the edges anyway, so should you leave it on? Does it add flavor? Thanks.

Your question really depends on quality of beef. On Prime, I never trim and never discard, it's the best part of the steak, and at such high heat and being Prime, the fat is so delicate and heat soluble, most of it melts into the meat adding an unmistakeable decadent flavor. For lower quality grades of meat, I might do some trimming if I plan to cook the steaks right away, but if I do my dry age on them, leave the fat you want to trim on through the aging process to add flavor, then before cooking trim some of the more drier and yellower bits off if you desire. ( save the trimmings and use them to cook some potatoes or mushrooms in, instead of oil!)