Dry Age "Cheating" on your steaks. Get the same great Steakhouse taste and texture at home

brazoseagle

My second attempt at this tonight... Did a few things differently with exceptional results!

This time, a 500g rib eye on the bone. Seasoned more liberally with powdered beef stock, plus used onion powder and garlic powder (which I didn't have last time). Salt and pepper too...

Stayed in the fridge with the seasoning for an extra day as was meant to cook it up last night but couldn't.

Cooked it on high for three minutes each side. Steak was a little thinner than usual so was a little overdone (was disappointed when I cut it open as i thought I had ruined it).

The result was an exceptionally tender and tasty steak. The crust was superb. Infinitely better than my last attempt.

Anyway, I'm gushing... Thank you David!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy, I know it is cliche, but being from Texas, I consider myself an expert in the areas of all things grilling and BBQ'ing (smoking). I've been grilling and cooking since I've been a teenager, le

Yes, made it 31 days and the finale was epic My father, brother and I basically grunted like cavemen eating these. My wife was a bit nervous about the aging then starting taking a couple bites

Nice thread, I got a 7 bone ribeye at 22 days as we speak. First time for me. Can't wait to eat her:)

Huge thank you for all the insight posted in this thread. My second round of steaks are in the fridge at this very moment. The first round could only be described as amazing.

You are welcome. I'm glad you enjoy it

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post. I had heard about leaving your steak bare on the fridge rack for a couple days to get a nice crust but your post provides some great insight and tips. Gonna give it a try myself and bone-in is always my favorite. Thanks again, will let you know how it turns out. Its freeking freezing here in PA now but I still have the grill going a few times a week.

Yeah, give it a try. Depending on the size of your steak, even 24 hours, flipped once at the 12 hour mark, can make a huge difference!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Great info....... I will try this method soon. Thanks for all the wonderful tips . ;)

Wow! Brilliant grilling advice Brazos! ... and some awesome looking steaks from everybody!!!

I know I'm way late to the party here but I have a couple of comments and questions.

1. I guess it's important to gauge how much salt to use depending on whether you are using beef boullion powder or powdered beef stock, cuz boullion is already plenty salty.

2. I'm not saying this is right ... just what I've heard ... is that the reason for resting the meat is to allow the moisture which has been driven to the centre of the meat to migrate back to the outer fibres.

3. Does Costco in the States mechanically tenderize their beef. All Costco's in Canada do. This process introduces bacteria into the centre of the meat where it isn't killed by heat from the grill (unless you cook it well done)...kinda like eating raw hamburger.

Having said all that, I'm sure looking forward to giving this technique a go this weekend!!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

You are correct about #2

#3. No Costco in US doesn't not pre tenderize , steaks, in fact, I don't know of one grocer that does pre tenderize their steaks. I've never in my life seen a pre tenderized steak. I've seen it in chuck and flank and shoulder and skirt, but never filet, riveter, strip ect.

If you are shopping at a place that pre tenderizes a prime steak, turn around, run away and burn it down to save others the horror of such nonsense!

Just did a little poking around and found this Consumer Reports article in which a spokesperson for U.S. Costco states that all their beef is mechanically tenderized except for their filets and flank steaks.

http://www.consumerr...rized/index.htm

It's not that I need to be right. You just ought to know so you can cook accordingly

Great info and tips on getting the most out of your steak! I can't tell you how many times Ive been to a friend or relatives for a BBQ and seen how badly they damage, if not ruin, their steaks by over seasoning, over cooking beating the hell out of it with a meat tenderizer. Some folks think the key to a good piece of meat is some giant list of spices, sauces and seasons, but less is more! Maximizing the flavor of the meat itself is the idea, not creating some blend of spices that results in a random array of spices, herbs and a side of ribeye..

I can't wait to try adding some of your techniques to my process and enjoying the result! Your result posts look incredible~ I won't be able to think of anything else all day..

I eat my steak with rice... come to think of, nearly every dinner meal I have is eaten with rice..

There's a great Mitch Hedberg quote, "Rice is great when you're hungry and you want to eat 3000 of something" party.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just got these new york steaks at Costco. Are USDA Choice steaks worth dry aging? Can't beat paying only $33 for 4 big steaks! A posh market near me would sell one of these for at least $25 (prime though).

ITlQWTt.jpg

Hey all, just a quick update. I'm pleased to say Brazoseagle has contacted me directly and would like folks to know that he's doing fine - just taking a break from FOH for a while. I'm sure we all look forward to his return.

Carry on!

Anybody know what's happening with Brazoseagle? Haven't seen him post for a while and always enjoyed reading his contributions (this being a great example)

Hey all, just a quick update. I'm pleased to say Brazoseagle has contacted me directly and would like folks to know that he's doing fine - just taking a break from FOH for a while. I'm sure we all look forward to his return.

Carry on!

Yup. He's still doing good, and the healing hands of time will continue his path forward.

He's still grillin' with us in kindred spirt though. ;):buddies: