Dry Age "Cheating" on your steaks. Get the same great Steakhouse taste and texture at home

brazoseagle

I cant tell you how many times I have tried this dry-aging-cheat out, took fantastic photos of the steak in prep,

grilled it to perfection, ate the most awesome meals with great wine and a smoke and forgot to take the 'after' photo before I ate it!

They were SO good looking I just keep forgetting to take a picture and dive right in!

Grilling another tonite, maybe I will remember.

Thanks again for this thread.

Reds.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy, I know it is cliche, but being from Texas, I consider myself an expert in the areas of all things grilling and BBQ'ing (smoking). I've been grilling and cooking since I've been a teenager, le

Yes, made it 31 days and the finale was epic My father, brother and I basically grunted like cavemen eating these. My wife was a bit nervous about the aging then starting taking a couple bites

Nice thread, I got a 7 bone ribeye at 22 days as we speak. First time for me. Can't wait to eat her:)

You are welcome!

Hello friends, I'm still around, keep on keepin' on brothers!

Good ....have been wondering for a while, where is this guy. Always look forward to your posts.

Tried out this method with some center-cut filets from the tenderloin my wife brought home this week (love that woman, know's how to shop). With a good trim and the recommendations above, cooked these for about 6 minutes on the BGE at 1200 degrees.

Absolutely amazing. Crust was incredible, glorious in appearance. Steaks cooked to a perfect RMR even though looking almost charred outside, juicy juicy inside.

Much better than wet aging.

Tried out this method with some center-cut filets from the tenderloin my wife brought home this week (love that woman, know's how to shop). With a good trim and the recommendations above, cooked these for about 6 minutes on the BGE at 1200 degrees.

Absolutely amazing. Crust was incredible, glorious in appearance. Steaks cooked to a perfect RMR even though looking almost charred outside, juicy juicy inside.

Much better than wet aging.

Glad you finally tried it out! :D

What a topic ! Love it!

Tried this method early this week and i did notice a big difference in the meat and especially the browning/texture of the meat.Flavour was absolutely awesome considering it was an average piece of meat.

Was reading about the topic of dry ageing meat and came by this link below stating that ageing meat for anything less than 14 to 28 days does nothing to the meat! The author has done a lot of experiments to back his view up! Very long read by the way and he has another write up on ageing single steaks and why it doesn't work frown.gif

http://www.seriousea...ef-at-home.html

I'm a bit confused now pod.gif because i am very sure that your method have changed the meat even in 2 days but the scientist in me is thinking that's just all in my head after reading that paper !!! What you think ?

Here's my results and apologies for the low quality images...:

post-16968-0-32008200-1371697844_thumb.j

post-16968-0-97239600-1371697867_thumb.j

Cheers

Read his articles again and totally agree with you Skyfall.

This method might not introduce the flavours of ageing into the meat but definitely changes the flavour/crust/tenderness for the better.

My confusion came from the point he makes in regards to it being pointless ageing meat for anything less than 3 weeks or so but at the same time he doesn't use salt like this method does which is a major factor in drying the meat.

He actually dives into details in regards to the fact that there isn't much molecular changes happening in the meat in such a short time at such fridge temperatures but i would argue that point using the Wine/Cigar analogy where even a tiny percentage change in the grape variety or cigar filler for example can change the wine/Cigar immensely. I believe the same thing happens with meat especially when using kosher salt due to its ability to absorb more water from the meat than your average table salt.

All good, time to prepare another few for the weekend peace.gif

• 4 weeks later...

post-16567-13738293055493.jpg

I like your style Skyfall.

Indeed Brazo is a genius. Tonight's steak as the best I've ever cooked. Thank you my man.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive only ever tried a quick 5-6 hour version of this before, but im going the full 48 this time, got a beautiful fresh cut Rib Eye from a local farm shop, started a few hours ago all ready for thursday, ill update tomorrow.post-15638-0-73699200-1375818498_thumb.j

hungry.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 7 rib standing roast aging one week. I like to low and slow cook in oven. What temp and how long do I cook this 11.2 lb big boy?

• 3 weeks later...

Rolled in ground coffee? As in during the drying process only and then rubbed the coffee off before cooking? Or you cooked it with the coffee on there as seasoning?

Rolled it just before cooking in coffee and the cooked it.

Got it from TV and was a must try.