Shaping up the perfect day in Old Havana.

El Presidente

Shaping up the perfect day in Old Havana. by Punch Joe

7:00a.m. Today. We are determined to have another great day. We had an easy breakfast and packed our things with one and only destination: Old Havana. No back pack required. Just cigars. Actually a big one for the day. Sure you will ID it later. During the holiday months of July and August,Old Havana is one of my favorite places to unwind. There's always something new to discover and the fact that you can smoke everywhere without no one stopping you from doing so makes my day really beautiful. To top it off, we have some friends working in the area in hotels, restaurants and cigar shops.

After an 8 km ride, we headed first to El Conde de Villanueva Hotel. This charming and luxury hotel, former mansion of Claudio Martinez de Pinillos, The Villanueva count, fascinates every visitor with its sobriety and intimacy. Its homely atmosphere, the breezy inner courtyard, its spacious corridors, and its beautiful stained-glass windows, combine to create an ambiance of authentic colonial beauty, which perfectly harmonizes with the most modern comfort. Thehotel, exquisitely conceived for cigar lovers, has very cozy rooms named afterthe famous tobacco regions such as Vuelta Abajo. At La Casa del Habano, cigarswait to be tasted in cedar lockers. I said hi to my friends Reinaldo and Joel,and after exchanging news from both sides, they asked me what cigar I would like to have today. Any! It was the best answer that I could come up with. Glad when they pop such question. Reinaldo gave me one of his custom-made ones. Athick robusto named Cimarron. Ready to set fire to the damn cigar…what elsewould one do? But unfortunately, it was too early in the morning and they were running short of coffee, so I turned my steps to Cafe El Escorial, situated inone of the corners of Plaza Vieja, where they served the best cup of coffee in Havana. I often come to this place to buy milled coffee to blend at home with others. Some pictures will illustrate best my lines. That made the perfect scenario for my morning yet powerful cigar while I asked for my espresso and wifey took a Daiquiri coffee. The coffee is remarkably good. As for the cigaris concerned, well, blended with master hands and pure heart, this is the core of Cubans. Love the oily dark wrapper. Aromatic and well balanced, a thick smoke started flooding the whole place and waitresses and tourists where heading our heads back to us in cross-examination.

Cimarron

post-4-0-02039000-1316037763.jpg

post-4-0-36170300-1316037820.jpg

Cafe El Escorial

post-4-0-90438100-1316037908.jpg

post-4-0-51963400-1316037890.jpg

post-4-0-63089800-1316037894.jpg

post-4-0-63777200-1316037899.jpg

post-4-0-29812900-1316037904.jpg

What caught everybody's attention is the aroma of the Cimarron coming out of the place. The cigar is pure chocolate, with a strong tobacco flavor, finesse and character. I would say it has a very good aging potential. Very interesting indeed. We decided to walk around a little bit since it was too early for the beer factory to open doors. Heading to Plaza de Armas to review some books and old Cuervo y Sobrinos watches for sale. Regarding watches I would advise that not to fall in the temptation of buying to street vendors. Whilst some good timepieces can be found, most of the mechanisms are sadly altered, turning those vintage watches into frankensteins. They are sold for a price going from 50 to 180 cuc. Books are somehow expensive especially those about cigars. Speaking of which, the Cimarron is unleashing its power during the walk and burning fine.

Old Havana is a melting pot of cultures and races. Shouters, street dancers, towncriers, tourists from every corner of the world, are intertwined in the act ofhaving a great time during the hot summer days in Havana. On our way back to the Plaza Vieja, we decided to stop at Cuervo y Sobrinos watch store for aquick Irish coffee before heading out to the Brewing factory one block away.It's almost 11:00 a.m. and I'm thirsty. I'm told they served several kinds ofbeer including black beer so it would be great to have some pints along with the cigar I brought from home. Food is also good at the House of beers but in case we change our minds, we can choose whatever place nearby as there are a dozen of them. When approaching the place, we noticed that is already full and in complete craziness. Had a hard time to get an empty table outdoors sinceinside every seat was taken. Finally, we claimed a table and soon after a waiter took our order for two pints of black beer, fried sardines, vegetable salad and fried plantains. (to be continued)

At the beer factory, located in one of the corners of Plaza Vieja, they also have a traditional band that makes people do the frenzy dancing swinging to the Cuban rhythm. I don't know the name but they will try to sell you some records after. Luckily our beers arrived in time and in a chilled condition with the rest of the order. Can't complain. Beers are amazing, strong and cold. They served a tube dispenser for 12 cuc which I think is a nice treat since the standard jar is priced at 2 cuc. A group of Chinese dudes from the Embassy soon joined the party. Cool. Look at his face when noticed we were going to set fire to that baby beast.

post-4-0-95231900-1316038100.jpg

post-4-0-76156600-1316038095.jpg

post-4-0-77061800-1316038105.jpg

Time for smoking the Padrino. Looks bigger today. I asked for two more beers and another round of fries. The size is impressive and it will take some time to smoke it. Don't care, I have plenty of that to enjoy. The aroma is intoxicating and becoming greater with every puff. More beers please, and the garcon earned his tip. Cold as ice! Perfect to getting rid of the heat and blessing my soul. That waiter is the hero of the day. I love being seated here with a great cigar and having a taste of such a great city.

Then to the world renowned El Floridita bar to have a daiquiri. On the way, I took a picture of a car my wife was eager to ride. We fell in love with this oldie. Check it out.

post-4-0-93714400-1316038204.jpg

The heat was taking us down so by the time we reached the door of El Floridita it was like entering an oasis. Looked for one of my friends still working there,(Papo), who gently offered a mint Daiquiri to my wife. By the way, he was the winner of the first International Habano Sommelier Contest held at Palacio de Convenciones around 10 years ago. All eyes on the Padrino whose aroma is preceding my presence. Funny faces when they look at the cigar. Listen dudes, I'm not going anywhere. Smoking is allowed. We stayed inside for 10 more minutes and we took Obispo Street heading to Plaza de la Catedral. We took a detour and headed back to Plaza de Armas, where a fine breeze was blowing from the sea inviting me to take a break after that long walk.

post-4-0-08224800-1316038212.jpg

Fare well to el Padrino in sorrow. What a great day in Old Havana. Here's to many more to come.

post-4-0-19262600-1316038217.jpg

• Like 1

:clap::clap::clap:

José, you're the man, It was like I was brought back in time and making that walk with you,

I hope to do just that one day soon with you & Ingrid .

When you talk about the Casa at El Conde de Villanueva , It brings back so many great memories

with great customs rolled by Reinaldo.

Thank you so much hermano,

Guy

Very nice.

And I don't think that the asian fella was in awe of the cigar. I think he was in awe of your wife's apparent skills (similar to my wife's) - lucky man, Jose, lucky man. :D;)

And I definitely do understand and appreciate your explanation, Joe, of a great cup of coffee from those spots. I'm not sure if it was the Cafe El Escorial, but we did enjoy a great cup of java when my wife and I were last in Havana, and we made the effort to enjoy a cup from there in the square. We really enjoyed the old square.

post-6965-0-93572000-1316042957.jpg

Great story and photos well done mate. :thumbsup:

Well that certainly does bring back wonderful memories for me. I've spent so many mornings sitting in the courtyard at The Conde with great cigars. If you ever get a chance to spend an evening there it's well worth it. Great story and keep then coming.

As always Jose,a wonderful window on the Cuban world.

I know where to go next time I make it to Havana.

As autumn kicks in here,the Cuban sunshine makes your heart yearn.

That custom rolled cigar looked beautiful,and the best coffee I ever had came from Cuba.

Great write up and pictures of a perfect day - muchas gracias por el placer, Joe !

Reynaldo - by chance I smoked the last Diadema from a 2006 bundle of his at the pharmacy cigar meeting here yesterday evening and it was, as usual, perfect. His tobacco being 4-5 years old it made it a 10 yr old gem of a cigar.

Have been bringing 2-3 bundles of his larger cigars every year ( except last when humidity was high and quality low ) and always enjoy them for special occasions or with good friends. His Petit Salomones is also a wonderful cigar.

Had the pleasure of meeting Reynaldo when he was still a roller, kept the contact with him every year of the last 7 I visited Havana, always a welcome respite at his store or the peaceful oasis of the Conde patio.

Your story and pictures, as well as the great recommendations here and in other threads, make me look forward to my trip next month and the 6 weeks I'll be travelling the island from east to west - with a couple of weeks relaxing, smoking and enjoying perfect days in Havana.

Saludos

Nino

Nino, as I might have mentioned to you before....

....any chance you can sneak me in your luggage? :rolleyes:

Careful Nino. You're better off sneaking in 200lbs of Speck Ham. :lol:

Sure can, Keith, no problem - but I'd have to leave you there to swim back up north, as I normally need the luggage space for nice bundles to take back home .... :nyah:

--

No problem Bund, thanks - as long as I can leave those 200lbs in Cuba - see above :thumbsup:

Nino

I remember years back surveying the bombed out shell of a building which would become The Conde de Villanueva with my friend Alberto Mendoza who was to become the first manager of the La Casa there ( his wife is also Ana Lopez from Habanos). It turned out to be quite the oasis for cigar lovers everywhere and I always stop by there everytime I'm in Havana. I remember a young fresh faced roller there as well. I think his name was Reynaldo (Hah)!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...